The Shakespeare Society Watch

Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How can anyone (I forget who, and it's too hot to scroll up) not like Measure For Measure? Go and see it (um, last year) at the Globe with Mark Rylance and then tell me you don't like it! Merchant of Venice is also rather cool, but my experience of Twelfth Night was somewhat blighted by being "taught" it in year nine by one of the worst student teachers I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. However, after seeing a couple of decent productions, my opinion of it has improved. My personal favourite is Hamlet (seeing Christopher Eccleston in the title role certainly helped), and maybe Much Ado as my favourite comedy. Although there's a brilliant Comedy of Errors currently on in Sheffield - go and see it if you get the chance.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My favourites are the Roman plays (the better known ones at least - not sure Titus get's that title for example). Also Hamlet and Lear. R+J is great and The Tempest and Measure for Measure too. I love the sonnets as well, I used to get a daily email with a sonnet but then for some reason they stopped (I expect they ran out of sonnets).
naystar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Tragedies! It's all about purging of emotions! Ah...
pissface
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh!!! Let me join!!! Please???
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Christopher Ecclestone was in Hamlet?!!! Wow I wish I could have seen that :eek: *uberjealous*

My fave play is Antony and Cleopatra. Absolutely love it And my favourite comedy is 12th Night (got the Trevor Nunn video - Fantastic )

(thanks for letting me join silence )
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by naystar)
Tragedies! It's all about purging of emotions! Ah...
Aristole's antiquity should not lend him undeserved credibility... There are plenty of better writers on dramatic theory.
~Raphael~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thanks for giving me the icon, Silence
Amzybaby24
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
Thanks for giving me the icon, Silence

ditto!
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
me
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm in!
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh, hi hun, can I join too ? I love Shakespeare me! *begins to recite A Midsummer Night's Dream (Hermia) !*
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lol Englishstudent, i used to get those too. It was nice to have a bit of poetry in the morning though.

Silence - i just requested membership. Let me in!

My favourite at the moment is Othello, although i do like The Tempest, and Macbeth too. I'm not such a fan of the really historical plays, but i think that's only because my knowledge of history isn't so good. xx
silence
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
if people want the logo by their name, they need to do something as well as post in here - go to user control panel and apply through groups or something.
Rose64
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooh please may I join?
Mimo
Report 13 years ago
Hey Shakespeare-lovers,
I'd like to pose a question: Has anyone cried while reading a play?
I adore A Midsummer Night's Dream, and on reading it the first time I found myself getting misty-eyed at the end... I think its rather strange but I just found it sad...
Puck: Give me your hand, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd like to join please (and have the funky icon too if possible!). I know it's cliche to love it, but the first time I read Hamlet I had such a great deal of empathy for Hamlet. I also love 'the winters tale', and I'm a bit of a fan of 'the taming of the shrew' just because it's so unsettling.
Charlottie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wanted to cry watching the end of Othello, but I'm hard and I was in class, so I couldn't do that. Cried when I watched O, the modern adaptation, though - I was alone.
sophieD
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love 'A Midsummer Night's Dream', and 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona', and 'As You like it'.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love Twelfth Night, felt so sorry for poor Sir Andrew Aguecheek!
~Jen~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My favourites: Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Merchant of Venice, Twelth Night, Macbeth (although this list changes frequently)

I'm going to try and re-read them all over the summer (even though we don't get to study Shakespeare here until the third year... )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads