The Student Room Group

The Shakespeare Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
If you're going to Edinburgh this summer, Cymbeline is being done at the Royal Botanic Gardens (a venue which yours truly graced recently....warning - don't roll around on the grass or your arms will probably rot off with weedkiller :frown:)
Angelil
There was a guy on the Culture Show last night who attempted to see all 37 Shakespeare plays in a month, and he succeeded! Really cool :biggrin:

YAY!! I saw a bit of that a while ago and he was only a week or so in. Now I can be happy knowing that he did it:smile:
Reply 422
anyone know any good websites/crit guides/ anything useful regarding Troilus and Cressida ?thanks
Reply 423
At my local diner they have several breakfasts.
The #1 is a small one
#3 is larger
and the Gutbuster is crazy
but there are two #2s
#2a and #2b which are quite similar
so when someone askes for a #2.. well, you can guess what they ask them

(2b or not 2b for those two tired and uninspired to realise the joke)
Wow, judging by that and your signature you're an expert on **** jokes! :p:
Reply 425
im reading david crystal's 'pronouncing shakespeare'.. it's actually very interesting. did anyone ever go to any of the original pronunciation performances at the globe?
I saw Troilus and Cressida last year. And indeed have met the director.

It was an interesting experience, but not exactly a theatrical high point. The OP did sound more natural, less stiltedly declamatory, and it was definitely an improvement that it was quicker. But the production was very cobbled together, which made it hard to follow, given the complexity of the plotting at the beginning of Troilus. The company (the Winter's Tale company) hadn't been cast with Troilus in mind, and it showed. But worth going, I think.

I always think David Crystal sounds from his writing like he must be an awfully nice man...
oh, while I'm here, has anyone seen Under the Black Flag at the Globe (not strictly Shakespeare, I know...). Apparently if you turn up dressed as a pirate they let you in free.
Reply 428
i saw cyrstal give a talk at the globe a month or two ago, and from the way he.. looked and spoke (?!) he did seem an awfully nice man. almost like a grandfather.
Reply 429
zigguratted
I saw Troilus and Cressida last year. And indeed have met the director.

It was an interesting experience, but not exactly a theatrical high point. The OP did sound more natural, less stiltedly declamatory, and it was definitely an improvement that it was quicker. But the production was very cobbled together, which made it hard to follow, given the complexity of the plotting at the beginning of Troilus. The company (the Winter's Tale company) hadn't been cast with Troilus in mind, and it showed. But worth going, I think.

I always think David Crystal sounds from his writing like he must be an awfully nice man...

I'm going to see Trolius and Cressida at the Ed Festival later in the month. Really looking forward to it.

Just stumbled across this society and it looks fab. How do I join?
Reply 430
at the top of the page, it says 'socs'... go from there.
Reply 431
silence
at the top of the page, it says 'socs'... go from there.

Thanks!
Reply 432
last week saw king john, henry 6th trilogy and tempest in stratford/avon ; all were fantastic, esp the tempest which totally reimagines the situation and ariels character!
Reply 433
how long were you up there for? if overnight, what was the accommodation/prices like? i feel a theatre marathon coming along on some time soon.. i'm still getting over my london one though.
Reply 434
Toscar
the tempest which totally reimagines the situation and ariels character!

what did they do? I'd be really interested to know for my dissertation. Can you PM me what they did, where you saw it and when? cheers :smile: I'll give you +rep as a reward...
Reply 435
silence
how long were you up there for? if overnight, what was the accommodation/prices like? i feel a theatre marathon coming along on some time soon.. i'm still getting over my london one though.

was there for 2 nights (tues lunch - thurs afternoon)
saw john(tues eve) , the the henry trilogy( all day wed), then the tempest(thurs mat). then home

accommodation was pricy, but i figured that seeing the henry plays for free, and getting free programmes too with ucas card and vouchers, it would balance out. its really werid when you get there, you totally get sucked into the shakespeare world (although that may just be me , cos of own personal stuff (working at globe/reading list for 1st term is shakespeare)) and it is just wonderful.
i wana go again!
Reply 436
Hopefully going to Cymbeline and Bouncy Castle Hamlet and a promenade version of MacB next week :biggrin:
(might squeeze in Much Ado, but probably won't be able to :frown:)
Acaila
Hopefully going to Cymbeline and Bouncy Castle Hamlet and a promenade version of MacB next week :biggrin:
(might squeeze in Much Ado, but probably won't be able to :frown:)

Bouncy Castle Hamlet? If that's at the Edinburgh festival I know the guy who is directing it- he's at York Uni (called Will). Let me know if it's any good!
Reply 438
Yes! that's it :biggrin:
Hehe, small world :biggrin: I'll let you know how it goes :wink:
Reply 439
On that note - apparently he was just interviewed on the news!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending