The Shakespeare Society Watch

Queen_A
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amzybaby24)
Eugh why MOV?????
Why MOV?? Well, it's only the greatest Shakespearian play I have ever read. How can one not appreciate Act 3 Scene One "If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
And then the scene (Act 4 Scene 1, I think) with (the very annoying) Portia and the quality of mercy speech. "It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven"
Really - some powerful stuff.
I find that it is one of his most controversial plays, in that Shylock was so real - a lot of Shakespeare's characters prove to either be a hero or a villain (or a fool!), and it was interesting to see a charachter that was so stereotyped, yet so unpredictable.
It is a truly remarkable play, and under-rated by many.
Endymion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Jen~)
My favourites: Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Merchant of Venice, Twelth Night, Macbeth (although this list changes frequently)

I'm going to try and re-read them all over the summer (even though we don't get to study Shakespeare here until the third year... )
Ahh, but so close to Stratford. Surely that makes up for it.
unfinished sympathy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
can i please join? i love a midsummer nights dream
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooh can I join please?
Catty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooooo, can I join?? Midsummer Night's Dream rocks, and The Taming of the Shrew, R&J, Hamlet and Twelfth Night. And all the other I haven't mentioned...
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey could I join ye ole Bill society please? Great literature fan, great Shakespeare fan. That's all there is to it. Cheers x
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yay Shakey all the way. I would like to join also please....=0)
Love: The Tempest
The Taming of the Shrew
Twelth Night
Hamlet
Much Ado About Nothing
Sonnets!!!!!
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm in!

favourites:
Much ado about nothing
Othello
Taming of the Shrew

probably forgot some but that's enough for now.
slashkash
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
To join or not to join?
to join. pls
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
How can anyone (I forget who, and it's too hot to scroll up) not like Measure For Measure? Go and see it (um, last year) at the Globe with Mark Rylance and then tell me you don't like it! Merchant of Venice is also rather cool, but my experience of Twelfth Night was somewhat blighted by being "taught" it in year nine by one of the worst student teachers I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. However, after seeing a couple of decent productions, my opinion of it has improved. My personal favourite is Hamlet (seeing Christopher Eccleston in the title role certainly helped), and maybe Much Ado as my favourite comedy. Although there's a brilliant Comedy of Errors currently on in Sheffield - go and see it if you get the chance.
I have seen it...and I am studying it. This is the first Shakespeare play that I have studied and seen and really disliked. In my opinion it has no plot, feeble and annoying characters and little dramatic value. As far as studying it goes it is very tedious and I find no enjoyment in it and as for Measure for Measure on the stage well the production I saw was just too "funny HAHA" and made everything a big joke. Ok I accept that there is a debate over comedy and tragedy and which the play falls into but to make everything so comical just didn't work. Personally I feel that wasn't the fault of the director but actually the fault of Mr Shakespeare himself.

I realise this post probably makes me unworthy of the Shakespeare society...But surely most of you find there is at least one of his plays which you dislike.

My favourite Shakespeare is Hamlet. The production I was my youth theatre do was fantastic plus I loved the fact that it had a female playing Hamlet. Probably actually the best I have seen. I also loved a little production of Romeo and Juliet I saw which was actually one of those school tour ones. It was great, although I still can't decide whether I liked the idea of the balcony scene via mobile phone messages and conversation. The opening image was fantastic though-the bodies of Romeo&Juliet lying together on the floor with a chalk outline round the bodies and police tape on the floor around the edge of the stage. Plus the nurse was a cool guy with puppy dogs on his shirt and the character was played rather gay which was a nice interpretation as I am fed up of jolly round women as the nurse.

I also have recently seen a brilliant Comedy of Errors!! It was amazing and very funny...Lots of live music played by the actors when they weren't in character too which added to the brilliance of the production
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The only Shakespeare I can think of which I don't really consider worthy of him is Pericles, though I have seen a rather good production of it, and he believe he only partly wrote it. I think you have a point about the characters in Measure..., but the Duke (is he called Vincenzio?) and Angelo both display more complex traits than, for example, someone like Romeo. Isabella annoys me somewhat, but I suppose her character depends on interpretation, much like Desdemona, whom I used to completely dismiss until I realised that she could be played in a totally different way. Claudio can also be quite interesting. I think that it should be accepted as more of a comedy - the Rylance production worked very well, played as a comedy - and some of the language is pretty good. And don't we come to Shakespeare for the language rather than the plots, many of which are indeed feeble?
Catty
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
SparklyTeaCosie, you used to be on the Athlete messageboard, didn't you?! I remember you!
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
The only Shakespeare I can think of which I don't really consider worthy of him is Pericles, though I have seen a rather good production of it, and he believe he only partly wrote it. I think you have a point about the characters in Measure..., but the Duke (is he called Vincenzio?) and Angelo both display more complex traits than, for example, someone like Romeo. Isabella annoys me somewhat, but I suppose her character depends on interpretation, much like Desdemona, whom I used to completely dismiss until I realised that she could be played in a totally different way. Claudio can also be quite interesting. I think that it should be accepted as more of a comedy - the Rylance production worked very well, played as a comedy - and some of the language is pretty good. And don't we come to Shakespeare for the language rather than the plots, many of which are indeed feeble?
The Duke is somewhat of a dramatic device in my view; he holds the plot together and he resolves the tragic elements and ultimately allows the play to become a "comedy". Angelo is a fantastic character though, I agree. And I also know what you mean about the holier than thou Isabella - not an attractive character really. There are a few structural problems (the timings of the various orders for execution etc don't seem to fit perfectly). On the whole though I think it's a very clever play and I saw a fantastic modernised version up in London a year or so ago (I forget the theatre).
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Catty)
SparklyTeaCosie, you used to be on the Athlete messageboard, didn't you?! I remember you!
Yes I did indeed!! Wow you remember me? Guess it pays to have such an odd username... :p:

As for everyone who replied to me about Measure for Measure I understand all of your comments. I like the way the Duke is used as a dramatic device-It is very clever and shows how manipulative he is on so many levels. Yes the plot is feeble like many other Shakespeare plays but for some reason I just find this one is even more so..I think one of the reasons that I don't like it as much as other people is that from the first time I came across it the opening just lacks anything of interest making the first impression not so great. I also found Desdemona irritating at first-I couldn't stand her..Also I don't really go to Shakespeare for the language..not sure if that is because I am more of a drama student at heart rather than an English student but I am constantly analysing the dramatic effects of plays rather than there literary value.
Zarathustra
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I join please

I put in a groupmembership request thinger a couple of days ago but have not been accepted

ZarathustraX

EDIT: Ooh it just was accepted - in the time it took me to write that post :eek: How exciting :p:
:tsr:
Amzybaby24
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PIECE OF SHAKESPEARE.... and WHY?
Jelkin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I join please! I love Shakespeare! My faves are probably Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Much Ado About Nothing. But I love the Tempest as well. Ohhhh,too many to choose from!
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
Can I join please! I love Shakespeare! My faves are probably Romeo and Juliet, Othello and Much Ado About Nothing. But I love the Tempest as well. Ohhhh,too many to choose from!
I liked Caliban in The Tempest - I really wonder what Shakespeare intended him to look like though!
spider from mars
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I join too?

I really liked Much Ado About Nothing. I went to see an all female version at the Globe which was great. There was a storm on at the time which wasnt ideal for an open air theatre but i was seated and so it had the added bonus of watching all the plebs standing out in the rain getting drenched! hehehe.

I like Measure for Measure. i think its really interesting once you really start looking into it. The characters are really complex. They are all a bit mysterious and seem change as they play progresses. I have to say that Angelo is the one that I felt most compassion for (what does that say about me?), watching him struggle with his inner self. Isabella is just infuriating and the Duke is irresponsible, heartless and unbelievably arrogant in my opinion for thinking that he can mess with peoples lives for kicks. And yet he's supposed to be the hero! Definitely an interesting play.
SophistiCat
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I join please!? Othello is my favourite play ever!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (261)
38.96%
No - but I will (46)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.31%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise