The Shakespeare Society Watch

OppressedMass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This will sound splendidly silly, but how do I get Willy's charming mug on my posts???
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by OpressedMass)
This will sound splendidly silly, but how do I get Willy's charming mug on my posts???
Do you mean the icon thing at the top?

If so then go to User CP and then the Group Memberships link...
Endymion
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't know whether to mention other Renaissance playwrights or not. But as you've mentioned Marlowe and Webster, can I give a mention to Ben Johnson's Volpone. Terrific play. I've also just begun reading The Roaring Girl by Dekker and Middleton, and this is excellent. Highly recommend if you like the whole Twelfth Night cross-dressing scene.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Endymion)
I didn't know whether to mention other Renaissance playwrights or not. But as you've mentioned Marlowe and Webster, can I give a mention to Ben Johnson's Volpone. Terrific play. I've also just begun reading The Roaring Girl by Dekker and Middleton, and this is excellent. Highly recommend if you like the whole Twelfth Night cross-dressing scene.
Volpone is a very funny play...Was in a production of it last year and I have to say that it is very well written and has some brilliant characters
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i quite like middleton, but i havn't read the roaring girl. i'm planning to read a load of dekker, beaumont, fletcher and anything else i can get my hands on once these exams are over.
Catty
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, I REALLY want to read "'Tis A Pity She's A *****", looks really good.
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Catty)
Yeah, I REALLY want to read "'Tis A Pity She's A *****", looks really good.
It's censored! Political correctness gone mad! :eek: :p:
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
It's censored! Political correctness gone mad! :eek: :p:
They censor Hug***** too
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sparklyteacosie)
The first time I was in it I was part of the seven ly sins and was gluttony and ate huge pieces of chocolate fudge cake on stage every night (and once spat on some audience members ) When I did it for my A level we multi-roled it..so at a point I was Mephistophiles (in the pope scene which was so much fun!!) and I was Faustus just before the end when he is with the scholars so I got the be really crazy and shout and scream. Plus I played some of the smaller roles like the knight, scholars, sins, old man...Been informed by the teacher that I shall get an A for it Our set was quite cool too..a chess board inspired floor with some steps and a coat stand to put all the bits of costume on

I would really love to actually publicly perform some Shakespeare sometime soon. Havn't done for so long. I want to go on a course in the summer that involves rehearsing Julius Caesar for two weeks and then touring with it at various theatres and schools and other venues..
Wowza!
That sounds great - hope you to then. I love seeing 'old' play son stage and even modern versions.... =0)
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Any opinions on Romeo + Juliet (1996)
I cannot remember who it was directed by - features the actors Clare Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio.
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Baz Luhrmann? I think it's an ok film, especially as Juliet has wings in one scene, but Leonardo DiCaprio annoys me. I'd rather see a half-decent stage production.
mxox
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Baz Luhrmann? I think it's an ok film, especially as Juliet has wings in one scene, but Leonardo DiCaprio annoys me. I'd rather see a half-decent stage production.
What do you mean by the wings thing? *interested*
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Doesn't she have wings at the Capulet party thing? I just like wings.... Seriously, I really liked that scene ("but saints have hands, which pilgrims touch", etc.) and thought the wings just worked really well (links to angels and things...). And that's pretty much all I remember of that film.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Doesn't she have wings at the Capulet party thing? I just like wings.... Seriously, I really liked that scene ("but saints have hands, which pilgrims touch", etc.) and thought the wings just worked really well (links to angels and things...). And that's pretty much all I remember of that film.
Yes she does. I agree - it's a great scene.

In fact I think it's a great film. True, Leo doesn't speak the lines quite as well as someone from the RSC might but he's not playing Lear or Hamlet. The first half is particularly good, the second isn't quite as brilliant in my opinion but overall I do love it.
munzerr
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I'd love to join! What do I need to do?
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by munzerr)
I'd love to join! What do I need to do?
Pass a series of tests, each more gruelling than the last.
Catty
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jayjayjay)
Any opinions on Romeo + Juliet (1996)
I cannot remember who it was directed by - features the actors Clare Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio.
I preferred the much earlier Franco Zefferelli one, where he used two completely unknown actors. Amazing, has me in floods of tears every time.
Forgotmytea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by OpressedMass)
Pass a series of tests, each more gruelling than the last.
Would these include memerising his entire works, or walking blindfolded on a log over a stagnat pool of hungry crocodiles? :eek: If not, I'll join .

-Saruman
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Saruman)
Would these include memerising his entire works, or walking blindfolded on a log over a stagnat pool of hungry crocodiles? :eek: If not, I'll join .

-Saruman
1. Just who is Shakey
2. Name one of Shakeys plays
3. Recite one of Shakeys plays
4. Perform three or more of Shakeys plays (alone!)
5. Ask Shakey three questions

Actually thats just going haywire hehe and does not work as either tasks or questions...I do still want an eye patch though - I Think Marlowe Had One!
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Saruman)
Would these include memerising his entire works
Just the plays (you needn't worry about the sonnets unless you want to become an advanced member :cool: )

Seriously, you need to click on User CP and then Group Memberships on the left hand side. Then find the Shakey Soc and click "Join Group".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads