The Shakespeare Society Watch

Jayjayjay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Baz Luhrmann? I think it's an ok film, especially as Juliet has wings in one scene, but Leonardo DiCaprio annoys me. I'd rather see a half-decent stage production.
Thanky!!!
I did an essay on it but could not recall his name hehe
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What three questions would you ask William Shakespeare?
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jayjayjay)
Any opinions on Romeo + Juliet (1996)
I cannot remember who it was directed by - features the actors Clare Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio.
I think it set the standard for any film versions (and also aspects of staged versions) of Shakespeare that are produced in the future. I like the film because it has energy and pace. It brings a new dynanmic to shakespeare, it gives it a modern edge and makes it so much more accessible for everyone. Always good in my opinion. I hate the way there is the view that Shakespeare should only be performed traditionally on pros arch stages and all that...
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hate proscenium arches! They always feel like they're kind of separating the audience from the actors, instead of bringing the performance out into the audience, the way thrust stages do. But I think we should still perform Shakespeare (and everyone else) in the traditional manner, because it's interesting and enables us to experience the plays in a way more like they did when he was originally performed. But modern versions are equally valid, often providing us with a different perspective on the play, though I'm not convinced about that one (the Baz Luhrmann) in particular.
I also prefer the Zeffirelli version...
pantryboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What three questions would you ask William Shakespeare?
1) Were you actually Christopher Marlowe?

2) Why did you write 150+ sonnets to explain that:

- things die
- love hurts
- you had homosexual inclinations

3) Why did you always give the story away in the prologues of your plays?
Forgotmytea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1. Just who is Shakey
2. Name one of Shakeys plays
3. Recite one of Shakeys plays
4. Perform three or more of Shakeys plays (alone!)
5. Ask Shakey three questions

Actually thats just going haywire hehe and does not work as either tasks or questions...I do still want an eye patch though - I Think Marlowe Had One!
1. The greatest playwright who ever lived. He died aged 53 on his birthday (poor guy ).
2. Hamlet! My all-time favourite!
3. All of it? Well, here's part of Hamlet:
Hamlet - Be thou a spirit of health or goblin damned,
Bring with thee airs from hevan or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or chariatable,
Thou comest in such a questionable shape
That I will speek to thee; I'll call thee Hamlet,
King, father, royal Dane: O, answer me!
4. :eek:
5. Did you really write all your plays? *gets out lie detector*
How did you find inspiration for Hamlet's three amazing soliliquies?
Would you have written more if you hadn't died?

-Saruman
Tyler Durden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
I think in general, prologues are used to create a sense of dramatic irony. I have never read anything on the subject though so that's purely guesswork...
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
I hate proscenium arches! They always feel like they're kind of separating the audience from the actors, instead of bringing the performance out into the audience, the way thrust stages do. But I think we should still perform Shakespeare (and everyone else) in the traditional manner, because it's interesting and enables us to experience the plays in a way more like they did when he was originally performed. But modern versions are equally valid, often providing us with a different perspective on the play, though I'm not convinced about that one (the Baz Luhrmann) in particular.
I also prefer the Zeffirelli version...
I don't hate them. They have their uses for lots of plays. Hedda Gabler by Ibsen for example works so well on a pros arch because it makes the audience feel like they are looking in through a window into the room of the house...But I just don't like them for Shakespeare. It is good to see Shakespeare performed how it would have been but I just don't like it that way...I am kind of going through a phase of thinking that theatres shouldn't be static. It should evolve and move forward. Its just that in my experience of working with younger people I get the impression the general consensus is that Shakespeare is very out dated and stuffy. So I am big supporter of anyone who takes the scissors to Elizabethan theatre and stages it in a way that is accessible to people today. In many ways it is such a shame to have to cut the plays and change the way they are performed but I have a great fear that if that isn't done then future generations will just not experience Shakespeare at all. Just imagine a world without Shakespeare and his plays...
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juxtapiped)
1) Were you actually Christopher Marlowe?

2) Why did you write 150+ sonnets to explain that:

- things die
- love hurts
- you had homosexual inclinations

1) He wasn't Kit Marlowe, they write completely differently. It simply doesn't work.
2) Because they're damn good sonnets. Besides, most of them have a slightly different take on love/relationships/time/death, and there are also other themes in there.
3) Back in the day, people wandered in and out of plays, so you'd only see bits of it. So playwrights tended to put in little reminders (e.g. the letter which Macbeth sends to his wife to tell her about the witches' prophecies) of the action so far. The prologue helps to inform the audience of what's going on. It's also traditional: the ancient Greeks, Romans, etc. (on whom, incidentally, Shagsbeard drew for many of his plots. See Plautus) had prologues revealing the action. And anyway, who goes to Shakespeare for the plots?

Sparklyteacosie - I personally just find them really alienating, especially as the theatre I visit most often is a thrust stage, so I find it more difficult to engage with a performance with a proscenium arch.
I definitely agree with you on theatre moving forward. If it didn't then we'd just see the same performances over and over again - ok, they might be brilliant productions with brilliant actors, but it'd still get boring. However, I think it's also important to retain the traditional style while theatre evolves. Diversity and stuff...
happydinosaur
Report 13 years ago
1) He wasn't Kit Marlowe, they write completely differently. It simply doesn't work.
2) Because they're damn good sonnets. Besides, most of them have a slightly different take on love/relationships/time/death, and there are also other themes in there.
3) Back in the day, people wandered in and out of plays, so you'd only see bits of it. So playwrights tended to put in little reminders (e.g. the letter which Macbeth sends to his wife to tell her about the witches' prophecies) of the action so far. The prologue helps to inform the audience of what's going on. It's also traditional: the ancient Greeks, Romans, etc. (on whom, incidentally, Shagsbeard drew for many of his plots. See Plautus) had prologues revealing the action. And anyway, who goes to Shakespeare for the plots?

Sparklyteacosie - I personally just find them really alienating, especially as the theatre I visit most often is a thrust stage, so I find it more difficult to engage with a performance with a proscenium arch.
I definitely agree with you on theatre moving forward. If it didn't then we'd just see the same performances over and over again - ok, they might be brilliant productions with brilliant actors, but it'd still get boring. However, I think it's also important to retain the traditional style while theatre evolves. Diversity and stuff...
I totally agree!!

I think that maybe my view of pros arch is quite biased because I am part of a theatre group attached to a theatre with a very nice pros arch stage and its always a big deal to perform on it!! To be honest though I wouldn't want to see a Shakespeare on it..lol. I really like studio spaces..Seen quite a few good Shakespeare plays in that situation. Went to see Anthony and Cleopatra in the round which was great!! The way a Shakespeare is staged really can change the whole dynamic of the play..
yorkshirelass
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How do I sign up for this here society?
silence
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i suppose you just have. to get the society icon, visit user control panel > group memberships
carolinequick
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I'd like to join too please!
Ahollisan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i would like to join
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have the Pliny and Shagsbeard icons shrunk? Or is it just my fevered imagination?
anycon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have no way, and therefore want no eyes;
I stumbled when I saw
hazzie1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would love to join please! Doing Webster this year has made me yearn for some Shakespeare - when my Alevels are over I will be reading him obsessively.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh yay I have just found out that I am shall be studying Othello soon, woooooo!
Jelkin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Othello is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! Iago kicks ass.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do not know it in great detail but I think I shall enjoy it. It is one of his works after all.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed