Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there everyone, well this post of mine might seem more or less like a career counselling session :P but im really in need of help and guidance, and there is no place better than this, where there are actually students who can help, as they are going through all this.All help is appreciated, and would request you to consider that im not aware of all the procedures.
    Im residing in Pakistan, doing my A levels, ive just given my AS exams this May, and im expecting 2A's 2B's, I wish to pursue my career as a "BARRISTER" Id like you all to help keeping this in mind.

As no one in my family, or college has ever taken up law as higher studies, im totally unaware of all the procedures, and needs.Firstly i need to know if im eligible with these grades? and when do i have to apply, ive read alot about the LNAT,and checked out the sample, but the thing is, i dont think we have Lnat test centres in Pakistan, so what then? i heard there is some CASS ( sorry if its a different term ) scheme which allows consideration in cases like mine.Plus which courses do i have to take to end up as a barrister, ive checked out the BA thing, but whats with the LLB? could some one guide me about the courses, Colleges typically want 3A's, is there any college which would allow 2A's 2B's ? and what are the estimated Fees? and how many years would the courses take.Ill be really thankfull for all the help.It might seem that im totally clueless with what i should do..the truth is I really am!...lol....please helpp..im totally confused, as the application dates say 15 oct is the dead line...when should i apply and all...please read my post carefully and guide me accordingly.Thank You.
    waiting anxiously for responses.
    -Hunny

ReputationRep:
    There are three stages to becoming a Barrister, the academic stage, the vocational stage and then Pupillage.

The first of these is either a qualifying law degree or a conversion course after another degree. A qualifying law degree (usually three years) is one that covers the ‘core’ areas of law needed for practice as a lawyer. A conversion course covers these core subjects but (usually) within one year. To get onto the next stage, you generally need at least a 2:1 in your law degree to get onto the next stage. It doesn’t matter whether the course is a BA/LLB providing it is a qualifying degree, which will be said in the prospectus/details about the course.

The next step, the vocational stage, is a one-year course, the Bar Vocational Course (BVC), where you cover the practical part of being a Barrister. After that, pupillage is effectively one year’s on-the-job training, shadowing an experienced Barrister. Generally based on your performance in this year, you may then get a Tenancy in the chambers (wohoo you’ve made it). If not, you will probably have to apply for a ‘second six’, another six months of pupillage.

At each stage it is highly competitive, with many more applications than there are places available. That’s a brief summary of what you’re looking at, hope it’s of some help. The one thing I haven’t really mentioned here – simply because I have no idea about it – is applying as an overseas student.

Here’re some links for more information:

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/
    http://doctorjob.com/features/index.asp?SectorID=8
    http://www.online-law.co.uk/bar/becoming_a_barrister/
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Barristers/CareerPath.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks nige for a basic, yet informative overview, it indeed was helpfull, but as i said, im also seeking more detailed information regarding my particular case, if anyone could help, please do so, waiting anxiously.Thanks again nige.
    -Hunny

ReputationRep:
    No problem, hope someone else has a more detailed idea about what you in particular should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunain)
    Hi there everyone, well this post of mine might seem more or less like a career counselling session :P but im really in need of help and guidance, and there is no place better than this, where there are actually students who can help, as they are going through all this.All help is appreciated, and would request you to consider that im not aware of all the procedures.
    Im residing in Pakistan, doing my A levels, ive just given my AS exams this May, and im expecting 2A's 2B's, I wish to pursue my career as a "BARRISTER" Id like you all to help keeping this in mind.

*Firstly i need to know if im eligible with these grades? and when do i have to apply, ive read alot about the LNAT,and checked out the sample, but the thing is, i dont think we have Lnat test centres in Pakistan, so what then?

*Plus which courses do i have to take to end up as a barrister, ive checked out the BA thing, but whats with the LLB?

* Colleges typically want 3A's, is there any college which would allow 2A's 2B's ?

*and what are the estimated Fees?

* and how many years would the courses take.
    Hello there The following advise is my mere opinion and I could make mistakes, but I figured you'd like as many opinions as you can get.

Presuming you wish to pursue your Law degree in the UK following completion of your A levels in Pakistan, you'll find this site of use. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/studyuk/

UCAS is the central body for applying to study higher education.

The LNAT in regard to International Students ~

"The requirement to take the test applies to EU and overseas applicants as well as to UK applicants. Test centres exist in numerous locations worldwide, including all EU countries. "

"Using the online directory you will be able to locate the test centre closest to your home, school, college, or work, and obtain directions for getting to it as well as contact information in case you get lost. This directory will go live well ahead of LNAT registration on 1 September 2005."

So this site may be of use to you aswell. http://www.lnat.ac.uk/

In regard to grades - you are sure to find a Law course which has any grade requirements imaginable. If your AS results are AABB what will your A level prediction be? Are you carrying all four on to A level standard? If so, let us know what grades you are likely to get overall and we can advise which Universities centre on those grade requirements.

In regard to the BA/LLB. An LLB is specific to Law, whilst a BA is a Bachelor of Arts. (I *think* although I'm really not sure that a BA often allows a combination of other modules if preferred. (For example, Law and Criminology.) If you wish to practise as a Barrister you need to ensure your Law degree is recognised and qualifying. (By taking specific modules throughout your degree.)

A Law degree typically takes 3 years, the BVC one year, and then a Pupillage of 2 x 6 months in order to qualify.

I am entirely unaware of the Fees for International students.

I hope this has helped you, and good luck

Dreama xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Hello there The following advise is my mere opinion and I could make mistakes, but I figured you'd like as many opinions as you can get.

Presuming you wish to pursue your Law degree in the UK following completion of your A levels in Pakistan, you'll find this site of use. http://www.ucas.ac.uk/studyuk/

UCAS is the central body for applying to study higher education.

The LNAT in regard to International Students ~

"The requirement to take the test applies to EU and overseas applicants as well as to UK applicants. Test centres exist in numerous locations worldwide, including all EU countries. "

"Using the online directory you will be able to locate the test centre closest to your home, school, college, or work, and obtain directions for getting to it as well as contact information in case you get lost. This directory will go live well ahead of LNAT registration on 1 September 2005."

So this site may be of use to you aswell. http://www.lnat.ac.uk/

In regard to grades - you are sure to find a Law course which has any grade requirements imaginable. If your AS results are AABB what will your A level prediction be? Are you carrying all four on to A level standard? If so, let us know what grades you are likely to get overall and we can advise which Universities centre on those grade requirements.

In regard to the BA/LLB. An LLB is specific to Law, whilst a BA is a Bachelor of Arts. (I *think* although I'm really not sure that a BA often allows a combination of other modules if preferred. (For example, Law and Criminology.) If you wish to practise as a Barrister you need to ensure your Law degree is recognised and qualifying. (By taking specific modules throughout your degree.)

A Law degree typically takes 3 years, the BVC one year, and then a Pupillage of 2 x 6 months in order to qualify.

I am entirely unaware of the Fees for International students.

I hope this has helped you, and good luck

Dreama xxxx
    Hi dreama, thanks for ur response, well id like to know when do i have to apply? im doing my AS right now, when do i apply then? this october? and i heard that there is a scheme, CASS or the likes of it, something that allowes consideration and thus you dont need to give the Lnat, and there are no centres for Lnat in Pakistan.

Yes im continuing with the same subjects in A levels, and im expecting the same 2A's 2B's, which colleges allow these grades? Plus, id like to know the subjects i should take, and when should i apply, and the estimated fees.
    Thanks again.Ill be looking forward to more detailed responses.
    -Hunny

ReputationRep:
    well id like to know when do i have to apply? im doing my AS right now, when do i apply then? this october? and i heard that there is a scheme, CASS or the likes of it, something that allowes consideration and thus you dont need to give the Lnat, and there are no centres for Lnat in Pakistan.

Yes im continuing with the same subjects in A levels, and im expecting the same 2A's 2B's, which colleges allow these grades? Plus, id like to know the subjects i should take, and when should i apply, and the estimated fees.
    Thanks again.Ill be looking forward to more detailed responses.
    -Hunny
    Hi Hunny,

It must seem so confusing to you with all these different tests and procedures - it's all so much more complicated than it should be so I sympathise!

Anyway, I checked on www.lnat.ac.uk to see whether there are any Test Centres in your country. At the moment, they have not published the list of 2005 Test Centres - apparently an online database - 'The Pearson VUE Online Registration System' - will be available from 1st September. You will have to wait until then to see whether there is a Centre near to your home. If not, I think you will be exempt from taking the test. (I've never heard of a CASS system by the way).

It's quite difficult for most of us to help you, as most of the posters on here are not international applicants. However, the applications deadlines for UK students are usually mid-October for Oxford and Cambridge, and mid-January for all other Universities.

www.ucas.com states that their online application system for 2006 entry will be available from 13th June 2005 - which is this coming Monday. I expect there will be lots of information available for you then. This page would seem to be hepful for international students:

http://www.ucas.com/studyuk/index.html

The UCAS site recommends that non-EU students apply as early as possible, in order to have as much time as possible to arrange a Visa etc.

With AABB at A level (if you get your predicted grades) you could apply to most Universities. Those grades would perhaps not get you into Oxford or Cambridge, but apart from that you can apply wherever you want! However, a lot of UK universities have increased their standard offer for Law to AAA in recent years (e.g. Manchester, Birmingham, Sheffield), so it would be wise to ensure that you apply to some universities who generally give out lower offers (e.g. AAB unis such as King's College London, Bristol, Durham).

You can apply for up to six universities - if you're unsure of where you want to go the best idea is probably to apply for two AAA universities, two AAB universities and two with lesser standard offers. The reason for this is that you will have to choose a firm choice and an insurance choice when you have received all of your offers/rejections, so you need to ensure that you don't end up with six AAA offers!

Some universities you might like to look at:

www.ucl.ac.uk (standard offer AAA)
    www.kcl.ac.uk (standard offer AAB)
    www.durham.ac.uk (standard offer AAB)
    www.exeter.ac.uk (standard offer AAA/AAB)
    www.manchester.ac.uk (standard offer AAA)
    www.bristol.ac.uk (standard offer AAB (sometimes ABB))
    www.sheffield.ac.uk (standard offer AAA)

You should find links to the Law degrees offered as well as information for international students.

Also, it might be useful for you to look at the league tables. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on these, but it will show you the general reputation of Law Schools here. They are produced by two of the UK's leading newspapers:

These are the tables for Law:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/good...2005/20law.pdf
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163903,00.html

These are the tables for Universities in general:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs/finalunitable2.pdf
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/univ...163901,00.html

The final link above is very useful - if you click on the name of the university, it will show you a summary of its history; with useful information about accomodation costs etc. (However, the fees information given applies only to UK and EU applicants, so ignore this!)

In terms of fees, King's College London charges £10,728 per year for undergraduates outside the EU studying classroom-based subjects. UCL charge £10,120 per year. I expect that all universities will charge similar amounts. Therefore, with accomodation and living costs, you will need at least £15,000 per year - probably amounting to £50,000 over a three year degree. As far as I am aware, there are no student loans for international applicants and a university will only accept you if you can show that you will be able to pay the fees. Therefore, if you are planning to apply for any scholarships I would do this as soon as possible.

Hope I've been helpful and best wishes for your application,

Lauren x

ReputationRep:

As no one in my family, or college has ever taken up law as higher studies, im totally unaware of all the procedures, and needs.Firstly i need to know if im eligible with these grades? and when do i have to apply, ive read alot about the LNAT,and checked out the sample, but the thing is, i dont think we have Lnat test centres in Pakistan, so what then? i heard there is some CASS ( sorry if its a different term ) scheme which allows consideration in cases like mine.Plus which courses do i have to take to end up as a barrister, ive checked out the BA thing, but whats with the LLB? could some one guide me about the courses, Colleges typically want 3A's, is there any college which would allow 2A's 2B's ? and what are the estimated Fees? and how many years would the courses take.Ill be really thankfull for all the help.It might seem that im totally clueless with what i should do..the truth is I really am!...lol....please helpp..im totally confused, as the application dates say 15 oct is the dead line...when should i apply and all...please read my post carefully and guide me accordingly.Thank You.
    waiting anxiously for responses.
    -Hunny

Fees: generally you can find information on this by going to a University website (like the ones lauren18 has posted), looking for the section for prospective students and then looking for pages for international applicants. Here are a couple of examples Kings College London also another for KCL , newcastle international office , warwick .

I was going to write something longer, but Lauren covered a lot of it perfectly so I'll just add some more links really.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to follow all our links and read as much as possible!

A few more links:

this page, from www.hero.ac.uk has lots of useful links
    (have a look around the rest of this site too, plenty of information to be found here)

PUSH gives profiles of UK universities (in a jokey kind of way!)

The british council education site I think this one could be particular;y useful for you. There are also different site for students coming from diff countries - here's Pakistan's
    Also a couple of PDFs which might answer some questions on law and on choosing a degree course

The Council for International Education

As far as the career path to becoming a Barrister goes, it might be useful to explore these sites:

Chambers and Partners guide

Law Careers Advice Network

The Bar Council's education and training site

Paths to becoming a barrister from legaltrainee.co.uk

hope some of this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask us.

Emily

ReputationRep:
    The CASS he is referring to could be the Cambridge Special Acess Scheme maybe? (If you rearrange the letters...) but as far as I know that's only applicable to UK students, though again I could be wrong.

Oh and one thing you need to consider when applying to UK universities (and please don't think I'm being patronising because that's not my intention) - you have to be able to prove to them that you can speak English to a suitable standard before they'll accept you onto the course. This means having some recognised qualification (English GCSE will do I think, if not there's specific tests) as they reguard it as your responsibility and not their's - they just want to be able to teach you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillith Grimore)
    The CASS he is referring to could be the Cambridge Special Acess Scheme maybe? (If you rearrange the letters...) but as far as I know that's only applicable to UK students, though again I could be wrong.

Oh and one thing you need to consider when applying to UK universities (and please don't think I'm being patronising because that's not my intention) - you have to be able to prove to them that you can speak English to a suitable standard before they'll accept you onto the course. This means having some recognised qualification (English GCSE will do I think, if not there's specific tests) as they reguard it as your responsibility and not their's - they just want to be able to teach you.
    Well i got A in o levels English, will that do?

ReputationRep:
    Well i got A in o levels English, will that do?
    That's the same as GCSE.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2005

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.