S1 Answers Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd make a guestimate at 57 for an A grade on this one, I do not believe it will be above 60, too many people in my year struggled (we do have a stats teacher who we doubt has done A level maths however, she's a plank)

On the last question, before I looked through it, I noticed I got 2 of the probabilities wrong...I don't quite know how though, seemed a bit mystical to me
samd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chris87)
I've seen papers where its been as low as 51! There are many other variables you have to take into consideration such as the fact that those doing it in January may have been Further Maths students, etc. 56 marks were needed for 80 UMS in January.
How did you find out these things? Are they on the MS's ?
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chris87)
I've seen papers where its been as low as 51! There are many other variables you have to take into consideration such as the fact that those doing it in January may have been Further Maths students, etc. 56 marks were needed for 80 UMS in January.
I hope your right Chris, I really do!

Time to move on now, concentrate on future exams, good luck! :tsr:
Chris87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by samdavyson)
How did you find out these things? Are they on the MS's ?
There's some on that site posted in the Ultimate Mathematics Resource thread (won't post link here because bots might pick it up). The January 2005 examiners report can be viewed on the Edexcel website.
samd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chats)
I hope your right Chris, I really do!

Time to move on now, concentrate on future exams, good luck! :tsr:
Yeah.

Good luck all. Physics tomorrow.
Twiglet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hey, the Venn diagram numbers for the glasses were
12,18 S
23,27 A
24,44 H
(left hand number is no glasses, right hand is glasses)

and for handedness they were
6,24 S
15,35 A
12,36 H
(left had number is number that were left handed)

hope that makes sense - i think its right !
im37
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
ah...i think i got most of the writing bit wrong, definitely not good at it......
-G-a-v-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmm I had a blank in tha question, lol - still managed to do the question and get some answers that resemble those posted on here (), but it didnt occur to me to try a Venn diagram until AFTER the exam. Ah well....I took S1 in January as well, thought this was a harder paper... 56/75 was an A in January...so I'm guessing it might be about the same for this. I doubt it'll be above 60.

Anyway, back to Physics revision
Spikerocker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I came out really pleased (considering I have never had an s1 lesson before and my revision entailed starting at 6pm and finnishing at 4am) thinking I probably got a B or C...now I don't think I have at all
Paperdoll
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Nellz)
Why was there four pages given for the discrete random variables question. I only needed one and a half :confused:
I used half a page for this one!! Just the space underneath the question anyway. I turned over the page and realised that there were 4 altogether and was like "oh, God... I've missed a question out!" It's weird. I think they just make sure that there's definitely enough space so people with big chunky writing can fit it all in.

Chris87 - saw your reply to my q in the other thread, thought I'd better respond here. I think I got around 156 or 157, I just couldn't remember what the mean was, I knew my answer was roughly one or two above it. Thanks!

I got 23/50 for the art and not glasses one - it sticks in my mind 'cause I caught a silly mistake - I'd done glasses instead of not glasses originally. I worked that whole question 7 by reasoning, btw, didn't want to attempt a tree or Venn (my friend told me a venn wouldn't have worked because they're mutually exclusive... dunno if she's right)

I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet, so maybe I'm being silly, but about the mean/standard deviation question for the histogram/examiners question (Q2?): Did anyone notice it said estimate? Because I didn't think anything of it, and I put down my answers to 3 s.f. and then I realised they might have actually wanted me to round figures before working it out. I originally interpreted the estimate part as referring to the fact that they gave ∑fx² and ∑fx and when you just have those figures from grouped frequency tables, you've lost some accuracy, so anything you work out might not be exact 'cause it's not raw data.

Ok, I've no idea if that made sense, so I understand if no-one knows what I mean. I'm just worried in case I made a stupid mistake there. Also, I agree, the 45, 52 box plot part was a *****. I mean, seriously, I don't even remember what I wrote. I pretty much did eeenie meanie miney mo in my head to choose one. :confused:
samd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Paperdoll)
II got 23/50 for the art and not glasses one - it sticks in my mind 'cause I caught a silly mistake - I'd done glasses instead of not glasses originally. I worked that whole question 7 by reasoning, btw, didn't want to attempt a tree or Venn (my friend told me a venn wouldn't have worked because they're mutually exclusive... dunno if she's right)
A Venn can work.

(Original post by Paperdoll)
I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet, so maybe I'm being silly, but about the mean/standard deviation question for the histogram/examiners question (Q2?): Did anyone notice it said estimate? Because I didn't think anything of it, and I put down my answers to 3 s.f. and then I realised they might have actually wanted me to round figures before working it out. I originally interpreted the estimate part as referring to the fact that they gave ∑fx² and ∑fx and when you just have those figures from grouped frequency tables, you've lost some accuracy, so anything you work out might not be exact 'cause it's not raw data.
I think that the estimate refers to the fact that it is grouped. As you suggest.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that histogram question i remember the q1 and q2 being in the same class width
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it was alright but kinda messed up the last q, didnt use a venn diagram or tree diagram oops just formulas, dunno if thts ok?
danguetta
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does anyone have the paper, or know where I can get it online?
Thanks,

Daniel
samd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by danguetta)
Does anyone have the paper, or know where I can get it online?
Thanks,

Daniel
If you are looking for Stats Past Papers try the Ultimate Resource Thread.

If you want the Stats June 05 paper specifically ==> I can't help you there.

Although it should be online within the next few weeks.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What did you put for explaining the skewness coefficient?
samd
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm. I did (e) first so I could find out how it was skewed. (positively)

Then I did the calculation and it came out at 0.3something so I put: positive therefore slight positive skew.

What did you do?
cherc2005
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Then I did the calculation and it came out at 0.3something so I put: positive therefore slight positive skew.

What did you do?
i said slight positive skew.

there were 2 or 3 bits where you had to comment (write information accomponying your answers), quite surprised with the number of times we were required to write, more than compared to most past papers.
hajira
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by onlylittleme)
I think it was alright but kinda messed up the last q, didnt use a venn diagram or tree diagram oops just formulas, dunno if thts ok?
they didnt specify anythin so shud b..as long as u get ur answers n show the workin
i jus got back a while ago
S1 S3 in a row..ahh that was fun :p:
not too bad i think
the box plot that everyone seems concerned about...well i drew the lower whisker to 5..n the upper to 45..with 63 as a cross (outlier)
n other..the alst question was the only one where u had to use ur brain really
the rest was pretty standard simple questions
no?
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

What did you do?
Yes I thought it was only a little positively skewed, because if Q3 increased (ie became more +vely skewed), the coefficient tends to 1 I think..?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads