Parking Ticket for not Parking Properly within Parking Bay Watch

The-Serial-Kisser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My sister just got a parking ticket for not parking properly. I thought this was pretty ridiculous. Well anyway it's irrelevant what I think. She asked me to write a letter disputing the decision. What sort of things could I write to persuade them? Any help will be much appreciated!!!
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do we get to see exactly what they've said? Might be able to pick it apart a bit and find an inconsistency or at least evidence of inarguable stupidity...
Neo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
errr i dont think the ticket here is the issue, if your sister can't park in a bay properl wtf is she doing on the road?
sideways_gun
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The-Serial-Kisser)
My sister just got a parking ticket for not parking properly. I thought this was pretty ridiculous. Well anyway it's irrelevant what I think. She asked me to write a letter disputing the decision. What sort of things could I write to persuade them? Any help will be much appreciated!!!
That is strange... the ticket is only justified if she was over a wheel out of the bay and therefore on a yellow line, honestly. Because that means she was parking in a 'restricted area' i.e. on a yellow line. Shame, that. I guess that parking attendant was feeling not so lenient today.

So, can't argue if that is the situation. Believe me, I know. I am sure most of Portsmouth improvements were done on the money they got from my efcking penalty charge payments!! Even supermarkets (coughmorrissonsislingtoncough) are money grabbing without shame!!
Nico_SU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If she didn't take a picture of the situation, I wouldn't even bother personally.

If you still want to do it, be nice and don't be rude and abrupt. Apologetic is better than ****ging off the warden. Remember, the warden may have been a **** for giving the ticket but a completely different person will be reading the letter. They will have heard every excuse in he book (was on there for 5 mins, just nipped in for milk, went to make a phone call, etc etc) so just stay away from why and just say you've (she's) learnt from the mistake and it won't happen again.

That's your best shot
R. Murray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not sure if this is allowed but if you go to here you can get advice on all types of fines and what not to do with driving.

Also, it might help you to listen to this it might help as well.

If it's a privately owned car park, the advice is not to respond to the ticket on the windscreen and wait for them to invoice you. Then if you don't pay it they might take you to court, but about 80% of those people that go along this route don't get taken to court. Listen to the section on parking fines for more info and advice. The guys on the fightback forums know there stuff so they'll maybe be able to help you.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Did she take a photo?
The-Serial-Kisser
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)
Did she take a photo?
No. Have I still got a case?
Nico_SU
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not really...you can apologise but you can't counter-act the claim, if that makes sense.
andrewkeith5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no. if she wasn't parked correctly within a marked bay, and one of the terms of parking was to park within a marked bay only, then she doesn't have a case anyway
Rian1988
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If she wasn't in a bay then she was either taking up two spaces or parking over a restricted area, it does usually say clearly you must display a ticket and park within a marked bay.
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well if she was in the box then say that and that she was not obstructing anyone

but if she hadn't parked in the box then a letter of dispute is not necessary
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I dunno :p: I just know that a photo would make it easier.
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ask for the proof photos that the traffic warden would have taken. If it was illegally parked , send a letter and say you have learnt from it.
The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It seems the ticket is justified. If you're not parked within the bay and you're not parked in accordance to the car parks rules (which will be displayed somewhere) you will get a ticket. Especially if you're taking up another bay which results in another car not being able to use the space next to it, it's a nuisance to other drivers and the car park lose out on a customer. Also, as you have no picture I wouldn't even bother.
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Trying to fight this one will be like ice skating up a hill. If it's a council issued ticket, pay it straight away. If it's a privately issued ticket, ignore it completely.
R. Murray
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sync)
Trying to fight this one will be like ice skating up a hill. If it's a council issued ticket, pay it straight away. If it's a privately issued ticket, ignore it completely.
This.
sk88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As said above...it its a privately issues ticket, ignore it. If its a council one then i suppose you can ask them for evidence that she was parked badly, i'm sure they take pictures nowadays.
At The Bar
Report 9 years ago
Remember - it's for the Council (I'm assuming public parking bay, not private) to prove that she was illegally parked. To do this they must have evidence which, in this case, is likely to be in the form of the written statement of the Parking Hitler as well as any photos they have taken. If the surrounding restrictions are time limited, i.e. 10-5, single yellow line, etc. then the paperwork relating to the time of the offence must be spot-on.

If she wants to challenge it she should write to the Council asking for all the evidence they have on the matter. If the penalty has a discount for early payment you should note this in the letter and state that you expect that the deadline for this will be extended to (say) two weeks from receipt of their reply so that you preserve the deadline.

Then review the evidence and see what sort of a case they have against your sis. If no photos then they may be on shakey ground and you can argue that they do not have a case against her - particularly as it is not unreasonable to expect Wardens to use cameras these days, as many do.

Even if she had taken her own photos, this would be considered weak evidence since there would have been nothing to stop her moving the car before taking the pics (unless the pics were also of the Warden)!

If she is going to appeal she should make out a written statement of her version of events. If she does not believe that she was illegally parked then she should say so unambiguously (but she must not lie - the statement will be considered to be under oath). If she thinks she may have been illegally parked it is not her opinion that is important since the Council still have to prove their case (so she should just keep silent on that bit!).

Good luck,

ATB
Advisor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're going to write a letter, write to your sister with impeccable detail regarding how to park a bloody car. People who park, sorry, abandon cars across bays without any thought to others deserve everything they get.

Someone's forum sig had an interesting take on the subject:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads