GCSE results affecting uni? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Chiefect
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hiya, I did really bad at GCSE level due to my very bad work ethic as apose to being un-intelligent.

History - B
Maths - C
Science double - C C
English Double - C C
RE - C
IT - D
Graphic Products - D
French - F

I am predicted to get about BBB (300 UCAS points)

Will my bad GCSE results count against me when applying for a Computer science (non maths orientated) course?
My top choice being, computer science internet technologies at Lincoln
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they could do. especially when you remember that unis don't see you AS grades for the subjects carried onto A2 (because they're not certificated)... you're just going to have to amke sure you ahve an excellent PS and get good predicted grades (which are based on your AS's so make sure you do well!)

lou xxx
Chiefect
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)
they could do. especially when you remember that unis don't see you AS grades for the subjects carried onto A2 (because they're not certificated)... you're just going to have to amke sure you ahve an excellent PS and get good predicted grades (which are based on your AS's so make sure you do well!)

lou xxx

I'm not doing AS/A2 I'm doing a BTEC national Diploma so BBB is the same as MMM.. O always thought UNI's get resutls before I do.. seen as its a BTEC one full course not split in two like AS/A2. I thought they would get the results before me?
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Chiefect)
I'm not doing AS/A2 I'm doing a BTEC national Diploma so BBB is the same as MMM.. O always thought UNI's get resutls before I do.. seen as its a BTEC one full course not split in two like AS/A2. I thought they would get the results before me?
errr no idea, sorry. if you're applying post-results (so for an unconditional) they probably don't care as long you have decent grades now. and tbh there's not much you can do it about it if they do care...

lou xxx
Chiefect
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)
errr no idea, sorry. if you're applying post-results (so for an unconditional) they probably don't care as long you have decent grades now. and tbh there's not much you can do it about it if they do care...

lou xxx

applying post result?? the idea is the same as A2 you apply januaray time is? I will applying next time round after completing the second year of my course. So i will still be on the course while I apply, so I will have no idea (other than predicted grades) as to what I will have. In fact thats not true seen as all BTEC work is graded my my tutors except major project,I will know for definate what I have got just wont be confirmed till summer time.

Back to the original question. the UNI's should have my results before me.. Will my GCSE grades make things harder for me even if I have MMM 300 UCAS points?
hallucination
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
applying post result?? the idea is the same as A2 you apply januaray time is? I will applying next time round after completing the second year of my course. So i will still be on the course while I apply, so I will have no idea (other than predicted grades) as to what I will have. In fact thats not true seen as all BTEC work is graded my my tutors except major project,I will know for definate what I have got just wont be confirmed till summer time.

Back to the original question. the UNI's should have my results before me.. Will my GCSE grades make things harder for me even if I have MMM 300 UCAS points?
You have acceptable grades in the important subjects (Maths and Science) so you should be able to get a place on a Comp Sci course not requiring Maths A Level. As previously said though, need to make sure your PS is very good and you get a good teacher reference. I think trev (user on tsr) applied to Lincoln for a similar course so it may be worth sending him a PM.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

but they won't have your results before they give you an offer :confused: they give you an offer pretty soon after you apply (normally early spring) and i'm presuming you don't finish your course til the summer.

sorry about the post-results thing, i was just assuming you were doing your BTEC at the moment (no idea why really, i don't really understand BTECs)

if the uni only has predicted grades and GCSE gardes to go on they may well look at GCSE results, but if you have decent predicted grades then hopefully your GCSE grades won't matter.

and like i said earlier, thete's not much you can do about it even if they do

lou xxx
khil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They might question your IT grade. But some people get in for say English, with GCSE English grade C or something - except they did make up for it with an A at A-level.

But yeh science and Maths look ok so you should be ok. How good a uni is Licoln?

And Computer Science - non-maths orientated? I thought all Compsci's were pretty Mathsy? But then again I've never looked into Compsci.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Your GCSE grades aren't terrible, and you got Cs in English, maths and science, which are the only subjects that matter really. As long as you have a good personal statement, reference and predicted grades, they shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hiya, I did really bad at GCSE level due to my very bad work ethic as apose to being un-intelligent.

History - B
Maths - C
Science double - C C
English Double - C C
RE - C
IT - D
Graphic Products - D
French - F

I am predicted to get about BBB (300 UCAS points)

Will my bad GCSE results count against me when applying for a Computer science (non maths orientated) course?
My top choice being, computer science internet technologies at Lincoln
I'm going to lincoln too in 2006 (deferred my entry). Your GCSEs aren't bad as you have 1 B and a lot of C grades. In Lincoln, A-levels are more important.

You over qualify for Lincoln, lol. They only want about 220-240 points. :p: O well, it's up to you anyway. Their computing courses are quite good and practical, and it's almost all coursework assessed with some units having an examination content. Lincoln doesn't need Math to do computing type courses.
Chiefect
Rep:
?
I forgot to mention my BTEC is in IT practitioners system support.. so thats just like comp-sci just less maths.. equivalent to three A levels,.
Anyhows thanks for the info.. and on closer inspection. My BTEC points do make me over qualified for Lincoln :P
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I forgot to mention my BTEC is in IT practitioners system support.. so thats just like comp-sci just less maths.. equivalent to three A levels,.
Anyhows thanks for the info.. and on closer inspection. My BTEC points do make me over qualified for Lincoln :P
Yup, indeed. At least you get a higher chance to get in though! Good luck. I will be doing the internet computing course over there in 2006.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ilovemonkeys)
You have acceptable grades in the important subjects (Maths and Science) so you should be able to get a place on a Comp Sci course not requiring Maths A Level. As previously said though, need to make sure your PS is very good and you get a good teacher reference. I think trev (user on tsr) applied to Lincoln for a similar course so it may be worth sending him a PM.
That's correct ilovemonkeys. I can't believe you know or still remember. :eek:

According to the courses at lincoln, only computing has some math content, but not the others.
Chiefect
Rep:
?
Yo trev. I will be there in 2006 too seen as I have deferred, doing computer science internet computing
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yo trev. I will be there in 2006 too seen as I have deferred, doing computer science internet computing
Cool, nice to hear that! The first person that is going to lincoln to do a computing type course! How could you do two courses? I'm only doing internet computing.

How come your offer is equivalent to 300 points? Mine is lower than that.
Chiefect
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
Cool, nice to hear that! The first person that is going to lincoln to do a computing type course! How could you do two courses? I'm only doing internet computing.

How come your offer is equivalent to 300 points? Mine is lower than that.

Computer science internet studies is just one course.. the 300 hundred points thing isn't there specification, they are my predicted.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Computer science internet studies is just one course.. the 300 hundred points thing isn't there specification, they are my predicted.
Ok then. What is the course code? G400? Ok then, I thought that was a bit high for lincoln, lol. What were your entry requirements that lincoln gave you?
Chiefect
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
Ok then. What is the course code? G400? Ok then, I thought that was a bit high for lincoln, lol. What were your entry requirements that lincoln gave you?

G402.. Sorry my mistake they have changed the name of the course (just dropped the words compsci off).. asking for 220 points which puts me well over qualified how can your course have the same name as mine yet diff code?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
G402.. Sorry my mistake they have changed the name of the course (just dropped the words compsci off).. asking for 220 points which puts me well over qualified how can your course have the same name as mine yet diff code?
I have no idea why it's different. :confused: I applied for the G402 course too! I applied in 2005 and deferred the entry, and mine has a lower offer for some reason. That means not many people are doing that course. Hopefully, we will not be the only one doing the course, lol. :p:

I think they could give you an unconditional offer, as you predicted grades for your BTEC.
Chiefect
Rep:
?
(Original post by trev)
I have no idea why it's different. :confused: I applied for the G402 course too! I applied in 2005 and deferred the entry, and mine has a lower offer for some reason. That means not many people are doing that course. Hopefully, we will not be the only one doing the course, lol. :p:

I think they could give you an unconditional offer, as you predicted grades for your BTEC.

They dont know where they are.. they change the requirments, then the name, :rolleyes:

Loving it.. unconditional would be very nice
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (132)
18.38%
No (436)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (150)
20.89%

Watched Threads