Turn on thread page Beta

OCR MEI Maths (S1) watch

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone,
    just wondring wot everyone thought of the exam 2day. Personally thought it was a bit of a bugger, guessed at the method of a few things but overall OK i hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JML161)
    hi everyone,
    just wondring wot everyone thought of the exam 2day. Personally thought it was a bit of a bugger, guessed at the method of a few things but overall OK i hope!
    S1 was easy, I missed out some of the last question (hypothesis testing) and also another earlier question.
    Then we did S2 straight after S1, which I know I failed!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a fan of the exam post mortem however did anyone manage the question in S1 on 7 passes in the sport question. It was part (ii) and was along the lines of A,B and S... Independant of each other...find the probability that they pass 7 games. Did you multiply each prob by 6?
    I got 0.28 something i think.

Also, there was a strange question on S2 at the end of the normal distribution question on finding P(A) and P(B) or both when independant.

It was do-able with odd questions in it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natsy)
    I'm not really a fan of the exam post mortem however did anyone manage the question in S1 on 7 passes in the sport question. It was part (ii) and was along the lines of A,B and S... Independant of each other...find the probability that they pass 7 games. Did you multiply each prob by 6?
    I got 0.28 something i think.

Also, there was a strange question on S2 at the end of the normal distribution question on finding P(A) and P(B) or both when independant.

It was do-able with odd questions in it. :confused:
    Well I can certainly say you did better then me in S2, because I missed half of that question along with half of the first question.

Can you tell me: How did you do the hypothesis test for 1st question?
    and for the last question, what did you write about why p(x=3) = 0 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)
    Well I can certainly say you did better then me in S2, because I missed half of that question along with half of the first question.

For the hypothesis test I said the null hypothesis was they didnt agree and the alternative hypothesis was they did agree. The critical value was smaller than the rank coefficient, so I said they agreed.
    I didn't put anything for P(X = 3) = 0, infact I didnt like that last question at all. The last part was badly written. It said about getting a question right in a round raises the prize TO £1000, not BY £1000, so this would mean it resets to £100 at the beginning of each round, although it didn't say this.
    The rest of the paper was just the usual crap, not that bad, although I probably lost a lot of marks on those questions "explain why....". Could have been better really. I couldn't figure out a probability argument for p (X=4) though! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    For P(X=3) = 0 I put that if you got three locations correctly, there was only one option left to choose for the 4th location, which must be the correct answer. Therefore you get all 4 right. I accepted the alternative hypothesis too! For the probablity argument I just did a quarter x third x half x one, the product of the probability of guessing the locations correct. I'm not sure about that last question, it was weird.

ReputationRep:
    Did you do MEI? I don't remember the last question being with prize money. There were only 4 questions and I thought the last one was a chi squared hypo test!

*panic attack*

???

I'm so confused. Did i miss out a WHOLE question?

ReputationRep:
    Dont think so, I did S1 and the last question was about biased dice (a hypothesis test about whether the dice is biased against and for 6). I thought overall it was pretty easy, I hope I got an A in this so that I can get at least an overall B in Maths..... BTW, one question really stumped me, it was the one about finding the probability for 3 people passing 7 matches, the tree diagram question....

ReputationRep:
    There was two MEI papers for S1 today. One was 2000 spec and one was 2004 spec. I did the 2000 spec one which has 4 questions on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Posie)
    For P(X=3) = 0 I put that if you got three locations correctly, there was only one option left to choose for the 4th location, which must be the correct answer. Therefore you get all 4 right. I accepted the alternative hypothesis too! For the probablity argument I just did a quarter x third x half x one, the product of the probability of guessing the locations correct. I'm not sure about that last question, it was weird.
    Ahhh it seems so easy now. I misunderstood the question. I remember now it said about matching the names to the places, for some reason I had it in my head that there was a probability of 1/2 of getting each one right :confused: Meh who cares, I'm getting an A either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tidasquall)
    Dont think so, I did S1 and the last question was about biased dice (a hypothesis test about whether the dice is biased against and for 6). I thought overall it was pretty easy, I hope I got an A in this so that I can get at least an overall B in Maths..... BTW, one question really stumped me, it was the one about finding the probability for 3 people passing 7 matches, the tree diagram question....

i'm not entirely sure, and i could be very very wrong but from what i remember this is what i did for that q...

{[P(pass3) x P(pass3) x P(pass1)] + [P(pass3) x P(pass2) x P(pass2)]} x 3!
    think it gave me about 0.28ish but again, cant be sure.

btw,for one of the q's on sect A did ny1 get a stupidly small probability, think it was the last part of the exam questions question (if that makes sense!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vijay1)

apparently it was a one tail test with
    H0=0
    H1>0 (i.e. positive correlation...means that the judges are in agreement)

Unfortunately i did a two tail test. Oh dear.

p(x=3)=0 if you get 3 of the qurestions right then you have to get the 4 th right as there is only one place name and picture left.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.