mammamia:0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Okay well I'm studying Spanish AS at school now having just done my GCSE in it.
We're doing the AQA spec which seems to be enjoyable, the only problem is everytime anyone mentions the oral the teachers just dismiss it and say we don't need to be worrying about it yet.
My problem is that I am one of these obsessive people and so I'm getting more worried because I dont know what the Oral is like. I've looked on the AQA website but it was rather vague- anyone who did it last year could you please enlighten me I know its not a parrot talk oral like at GCSE but is there anything that I can start to prepare now?

Thanks
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd like to know the answer to this too. :pinch:
apocalipse117
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mammamia:0)
Okay well I'm studying Spanish AS at school now having just done my GCSE in it.
We're doing the AQA spec which seems to be enjoyable, the only problem is everytime anyone mentions the oral the teachers just dismiss it and say we don't need to be worrying about it yet.
My problem is that I am one of these obsessive people and so I'm getting more worried because I dont know what the Oral is like. I've looked on the AQA website but it was rather vague- anyone who did it last year could you please enlighten me I know its not a parrot talk oral like at GCSE but is there anything that I can start to prepare now?

Thanks
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  36.6 KBOkay.
the test is 35minutes long, but you only speak for 15.
you walk in and have 20 minutes to prepare a stimulus card which will look something like this:Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  36.6 KB
you have a choice of 2, you choose 1, it will be based on one of the 4 main topics covered at AS (popular culture[music,film,fashion], media[tv,advertising,technology], healthy living[sport,health,holidays] and family[relationships within the family,friendships,marriage])
it will have 4 questions for you to answer, the first of which will always be 'de que trata esta tarjeta? (what is this card about?)
this section will last for 2m30s roughly depending on the length of your answers to the card (don't write too much beacause the next 2.5 mins are worth more marks). the next 2.5 mins will be 'wider discussion'on the topic of the card, e.g. if it is about TV you will be asked various questions about tv and types of programme etc. the next 10 mins of the test is devoted to discussion of the 3 other topics that weren't covered by the stimulus card, so if it was about tv, then you would be asked for 10 minutes about healthy living pop culture and family. the examiner (either your teacher or an external one) will tell you when you are to move onto the next topic(in spanish) to let you know what you will be asked about next. after that you're done!

as for starting to prepare for it now...thats a very smart move! the earlier you start thinking about it, the better off you'll be. make sure you know a lot of subject specific vocabulary - i recommend this book:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z...age&q=&f=false
its got loads of vocab relevant to the course and examiners are really looking to see those key words that show you really know your stuff.
i'd also say that when you learn the subjunctive, write out a few phrases for each topic that include it and learn them, because its hard making them up on the spot in the exam, this will get you loads of grammar marks as its really complex language, which isnt in english.

if your really serious about preparing now, PM me and i can send you some sample questions that my teacher gave me to prepare, she didn't ask any of them in the exam, but i was able to adapt some of the stuff i'd written so that it was relevant to the question. i've also got the breakdown of the marks for the test and some transcripts of sample speaking tests.

also if you have any other questions about the course or need any help, don't hesitate to ask!
Good luck!
Arabella53
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is there a similar book for A2 like the one recomended for AS? Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (124)
62.31%
I don't have everything I need (75)
37.69%

Watched Threads