The Student Room Group

If you saw a 25 year old...

...mother of three young children wearing alternative (think gothish/rocker) type of clothing, would you think it was inappropriate?

I'm dying to get back into wearing alternative clothes after I've had this baby, I feel so frumpy and mumsy and it's depressing, but part of me is niggled thinking that a mother of 3 kids who is in her mid twenties should look more "adult" than that.

My husband tells me I'm being silly and I should just wear what I want to. My mother would tell me the opposite, and probably come out with a variety of choice insulting comments about me looking immature if I wore alternative stuff.

So, I dunno....any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I definitely wouldn't, no. To me, clothes are clothes and people should wear what they want.
The only time I'd think badly of a mother's clothing would be if she was showing far more than the general public (and her children) would ever want to see. :p:
Reply 2
To be honest, yes.

First impressions count for a lot and if I saw a women dressing like Dani from Cradle of Filth or something, I'd definitely doubt your parental abilities. Its a harsh world, I know.
You could always try and juggle between the two, trying to look alternative, ie to retain your own personal style, but also looking 'respectable' at the same time!
Reply 4
I say wear what you like. Does it really matter what anyone else thinks?
I don't care what you wear, but a lot of people would.

It's a sad world eh.
U need to wear what makes you happy. Why dress to please everyone else?
Reply 7
as long as you don't dress the kids up in it (I was in Camden today and a saw a babygrow with a spreadeagled, gagged teddy on it :eek: :eek: :eek: and I'd freak completely and call social services if I ever saw a baby wearing that) I wouldn't see it as a problem, although I'd probably assume you were their babysitter or something rather than their mother?
learner_dancer
You could always try and juggle between the two, trying to look alternative, ie to retain your own personal style, but also looking 'respectable' at the same time!

Yeah, this.
Reply 9
Honeslty? I thought you would've grown out of that phase by the time you got to 25. Wear what you want though.
PinkMobilePhone
...mother of three young children wearing alternative (think gothish/rocker) type of clothing, would you think it was inappropriate?

I'm dying to get back into wearing alternative clothes after I've had this baby, I feel so frumpy and mumsy and it's depressing, but part of me is niggled thinking that a mother of 3 kids who is in her mid twenties should look more "adult" than that.

My husband tells me I'm being silly and I should just wear what I want to. My mother would tell me the opposite, and probably come out with a variety of choice insulting comments about me looking immature if I wore alternative stuff.

So, I dunno....any thoughts?

Hey Nat :hugs:

I've seen pics of you in gothish/alt clothing before, and i'll just say you look pretty hot in them :p: Wear whatever you want, it's your choice and if it'll give you that little boost you need to feel comfortable again, go for it :biggrin:

As for your mother, she'd say anything to upset you, you know that hun. Besides, what does she know about clothing these days!
Suis Je Bovvered ?
Hey Nat :hugs:

I've seen pics of you in gothish/alt clothing before, and i'll just say you look pretty hot in them :p: Wear whatever you want, it's your choice and if it'll give you that little boost you need to feel comfortable again, go for it :biggrin:

As for your mother, she'd say anything to upset you, you know that hun. Besides, what does she know about clothing these days!

:smile: you always know how to cheer me up :hugs:
Reply 12
I love alternative style, not that terrible **** you see kids wearing outside the local cinema... giant band hoodies, orange hair, New Rocks, fishnet gloves, massive chainy pants... love the more girly goth/lolita stuff, though!

It annoys me when anyone dresses badly - no matter who they are, I won't judge a 14 year-old less harshly than a 25 year-old mum though.
Reply 13
sorry but yes. then and again i'm a judgemental person :dontknow:
Reply 14
do what you want, really. people will always have something to say ("you're damned if you do.. you're damned if you dont" )

you could always wear something different on different days depending on your mood, though. you know, keep one foot in each camp?
Reply 15
Do what you want, don't let the fact you have kids influence your decision here. It's not like they are going to grow up to be rapid prostitutes just because of the clothes you wear.
Reply 16
jaz_jaz
sorry but yes. then and again i'm a judgemental person :dontknow:

lol, so upfront about it. :p:
I think you should wear what you want, but maybe tone it down a little bit...
Lell
Do what you want, don't let the fact you have kids influence your decision here. It's not like they are going to grow up to be rapid prostitutes just because of the clothes you wear.

Oh I'm not worried about my clothes having any sort of effect on THEM, I just wonder if the whole world is going to think I look ridiculous at my age with 3 kids wearing that sort of thing.

I know I shouldn't worry about what people think, but everybody does to some extent I suppose...
Reply 19
I'd be more concerned with the fact she had 3 kids already.

Latest