Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate Study only with a First? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that one can only do a MA, MPhil etc. with a 1.1? Or is it also possible with a 2.1 or 2.2? If yes, is this a general rule or does it depend on the discretion of the university you're applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Is it true that one can only do a MA, MPhil etc. with a 1.1? Or is it also possible with a 2.1 or 2.2? If yes, is this a general rule or does it depend on the discretion of the university you're applying to?
    An MA or MSc etc is only a further year of study, and I am sure you can do it if you have a 2.1 or above (possibbly even a 2.2 as well). Saying that though, I am doing a masters degree (MChem) as my first degree, and won't actually do a BSc first.

However if you want to do your doctorate (PhD) which is 3 years of research based study, you definately need a high 2.1 or first.

ReputationRep:
    To do a PhD it depends on the university. Some will let you do one with a low 2.1 I am sure, as it doesn't tell you the exact mark on the degree certificate!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    To do a PhD it depends on the university. Some will let you do one with a low 2.1 I am sure, as it doesn't tell you the exact mark on the degree certificate!
    You don't get accepted to study a PhD without producing a transcript or the equivalent on your CV - ie a breakdown of marks for each module/assignment.

For a PhD however they will probably be most concerned with the grade obtained for your dissertation and any relevent modules to the subject of your research (for instance I know someone who got a 2:2 overall in Geology but progressed directly onto a Palaeo PhD as his Palaeo marks where absolutely fantastic - and his dissertation (also a palaeo based project) was outstanding - well above the minimum quality for a 1st).

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who has done an MA with a third. it is down to the unis discretion and the same applies with a PhD!

ReputationRep:
    IC require first or second class degree for post graduate. Those applying for PhD need to submit a dissertation in addition. (This relates to Mathematics).

ReputationRep:
    hey

to go to a good university you defs need a 2.1 or a 1st. however, if u go lower down the table, it will prob be a 2.2, i doubt very much a 3rd would get u anywhere!

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    hey

to go to a good university you defs need a 2.1 or a 1st. however, if u go lower down the table, it will prob be a 2.2, i doubt very much a 3rd would get u anywhere!

J

The only 3 very competitive grad schools are Oxford, Cambridge and LSE. The rest of them are largely crying out for students. Although there are specific departments at other universities which are fairly difficult to get into, Warwick, Bristol and Imperial I'd imagine.

The former category you may need a first (even a 'good first' in some cases) again a departmental variation. The others can be reasonably difficult, depending on the course, a good 2:1 will take you far though. Outside of these institutions, it's dead easy getting in, any kind of 2:1 an you're in.

ReputationRep:
    To do a PhD one typically reqiures a 1st or a 2:1 (You can most definately do PhD with a 2:1).

It may be possible to do with a 2:2 as well (Depends upon the university).

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.