The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
allisandro
for "perfect use" you should take it in the same 15 minute window. the further out you are, the less effective it is. (but within 12 hours it is still 99% effective!)

i set an alarm for mine, as do all of my friends. i don't think it's OTT at all, i think it is sensible!

also, if you are on the mini pill you have to take it within 3 hours each day.

I'm not talking about the pill, I mean for the norethisterone. Sorry!
Reply 41
~Sam~
I'm not talking about the pill, I mean for the norethisterone. Sorry!

oh sorry! the person who was talking about missing it was talking about the pill though i think...
sahsum
Hey, basically, i don't want my period to start when im on hol, i knw i can get pills that stop it coming on, but does anyone know if theres any that will make it start early? thanks x x

go and visit your doctor they could have something for ya ^_^ sorry thats all i can think of :p: xoxo
Reply 43
what if you don't know when you're due, my periods really irregular but I really need to stop it for my holiday if it comes, which knowing my luck it will, I know its around the same time but not sure when exactly
Talk to your doctor about pills to delay it, I have taken them before, it doesn't matter exactly when you are due, start taking them approximatly 3-5days before you are due,I don't think it matters if it is earlier just you might run out of pills. take 3 a day and it will stop them, when you stop taking the pills you will get your period about 2days later. My doctor took my blood pressure and asked about family heart problems etc, then just prescribed them.

*edit* norethisterone is a brand name of the delaying pill, mentioning it may help.
Reply 45
ooo ok, now the next thing to do is persuade my mum
trigger
:rolleyes: i asked when i went into hospital i didnt wasnt to be on when i couldnt move especially with my blood condition
stupid cow

Poo, just typed out long post then accidently closed it
Basically, you should be thanking your doc, not bitching about her.

Contraceptive pill inc clotting risk, and hence DVT risk (well known)
Being immobile like planes and ESPECIALLY bed bound increases DVT risk (well known)
Tripling your pill to delay period will inc DVT risk even more (logically)

So unless you have some form of haemophilia. you should be thankful :wink:
sahsum
I go on the 12th of july

can you not just start the pill now, and then stop it around 4th july. should induce a period soon after that i would guess.

but girls tend to know the little pill tricks better than even docs (let alone med students with ideas above their station... :redface: )
I'm going away for 2 weeks on Monday and started taking norethisterone 2 days ago. I was due to start tomorrow and usually start getting cramps a few days before. Since I took the first tablet I've had a really bad pain in my stomach (much worse than usual). I had to spend most of yesterday in bed because of it.

Has anyone else who's used them had the same problem? Am I likely to have cramps right through my holiday?
Reply 49
i think i got them for the first few days of taking them, i think it takes a while for your body to get used to it... i found i got alot of the symptoms of periods but none of the messyness. Apparently they arent effective for every girl, so its adviseable to still take supplys.
Reply 50
You knoe the pill you take a few days before and then every day till you want your period can you get it from family planning or does it have to be the doctors? Also can a nurse practicioner prescribe it? I'm going on holiday and would like to delay it about 7 days thanks.
Reply 51
the doctor has to prescribe it, since its not contreception.
Reply 52
Ah okies then thanks, i'll ring up tomorrow and book an appointment.
I didn't have to get an appointment just spoke to the doctor over the phone and they left a prescription for me to collect. Might be different for different doctors though, I've seen the same one my entire life so he knows me.
Reply 54
See your doctor for some pills to stop your period. they'll give them out for a holiday.
Reply 55
Jamie

Being immobile like planes and ESPECIALLY bed bound increases DVT risk (well known)

True! and considering it would be extremely rare for a woman to have haemophilia - go GP!
wondeful thread! reminded me that i need to register with my new dr and i will try to persuade ma mum 2 let me delayy ma period!
Reply 57
Jamie

what? mega confused!
Reply 58
trigger
what? mega confused!

ah re-read it lol i was annoyed becasue i suffer from a blood condition that increases the risk of me getting a dvt i wanted to stop using the pill anyway but didnt want to start while i was in hospital becasuse of my lack of mobilty and privacy. She told me there was no such thing as a pill that would delay my period. thats why i was annoyed

Latest

Trending

Trending