Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone here has ever climbed the volcano Vesuvius near Naples in Italy? My bf are planning on doing it in the summer, though I can't seem to find much information about how long it takes, how tough it is etc. Anyone ever done it?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I've done it. It will probably take a good few hours from the ground, although quite a few people get a coach about half way up and walk the rest, that would probably take about an hour or so. Its not a hard climb particularly, just very hot! The view from the top over the Bay of Naples is well worth it. Also they have a place selling wine built on the summit! so you can get yourself a memento.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleGecko)
    yeah, I've done it. It will probably take a good few hours from the ground, although quite a few people get a coach about half way up and walk the rest, that would probably take about an hour or so. Its not a hard climb particularly, just very hot! The view from the top over the Bay of Naples is well worth it. Also they have a place selling wine built on the summit! so you can get yourself a memento.
    That sounds great! Is it particularly dangerous, any special gear required?

ReputationRep:
    ive been. we went on a school trip to italy (classics). was good fun. beautiful view at the top. crater is wicked as well. just wish it hadnt started raining when we got half way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undry1)
    ive been. we went on a school trip to italy (classics). was good fun. beautiful view at the top. crater is wicked as well. just wish it hadnt started raining when we got half way.
    I guess the worst case scenario would be if it erupted :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I guess the worst case scenario would be if it erupted :eek:
    haha. i actually thought about that when we were going. apparently its a bit overdue for an eruption as well. dont worry though. at least if it does erupt you can say: I was there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    haha. i actually thought about that when we were going. apparently its a bit overdue for an eruption as well. dont worry though. at least if it does erupt you can say: I was there :rolleyes:
    True, plus I'll have my bf with me so at least we'd be together in our last moments :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I've been there, but went half way up in a bus. Don't quite know why we didn't climb to the top - must have been pushed for time. Was beautiful though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    That sounds great! Is it particularly dangerous, any special gear required?
    Nah, all your need is some reasonable shoes and water, it isn't dangerous or particularly steep, there is a path that snakes up slowly, it takes a while but you get there eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Its not really a climb. more of a long walk. when i was there (some years ago now so might have changed) they had a path bordered by fencing (to make sure tourists didnt veer off i suppose) that went backwards and forwards slowly rising to the top. Takes a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Its not really a climb. more of a long walk. when i was there (some years ago now so might have changed) they had a path bordered by fencing (to make sure tourists didnt veer off i suppose) that went backwards and forwards slowly rising to the top. Takes a long time.
    Cool! I guess there are lots of tourists there though?

ReputationRep:
    probably depends on time of year.

ReputationRep:
    I have done it twice, once was this time last week actually!! It's fantastic, the view is the best you will see I think. Good for your legs too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonnabavet)
    I have done it twice, once was this time last week actually!! It's fantastic, the view is the best you will see I think. Good for your legs too
    Can't wait!

Oooh, one thing - do you have to pay to climb it?!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.