Long Distance Relationships - who else has one? Watch

This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't be afraid to break up once you've met her if it doesn't go to plan though. Even after 29 (that about right?) months of being stable, meeting up will be big and may shed light on major problems that you'll have to accept.
-joanne-
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
im in a LDR (17 months) but my boyfriend only lives 200 miles away and we see each other on average every other weekend and we talk every day so its not as tough as it could be. if you're determined to make it work its cool but i wouldnt be able to deal with a relationship where i saw someone less that once every couple of months at least.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by petrolxfumes)
I totally agree. You can't know the real person until you meet them in life. I've heard of a few people in 'relationships' like that, however, they really can not be counted as relationships. Something physical is needed.
I met my bf on the internet but we decided to meet up after three weeks before everything got too out of hand, and we were always well aware of the fact that we might not like/fancy each other in real life. I think it's important to meet up before too much pressure builds up, if you are genuinely interested in pursuing a relationship with someone.
Devil Bunny
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I used to, I was in the south he was right up north :rolleyes:
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
I met my bf on the internet but we decided to meet up after three weeks before everything got too out of hand, and we were always well aware of the fact that we might not like/fancy each other in real life. I think it's important to meet up before too much pressure builds up, if you are genuinely interested in pursuing a relationship with someone.
Oh yeah, youn can build up so many misconceptions of people from just talking to them on the internet. That's why I like to talk to my boyfriend on the phone as well when I can't see him for a while, it allows me to say and hear things that sound a lot better than how they might on MSN.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pikaboo)
Oh yeah, youn can build up so many misconceptions of people from just talking to them on the internet. That's why I like to talk to my boyfriend on the phone as well when I can't see him for a while, it allows me to say and hear things that sound a lot better than how they might on MSN.
Yeah, it can be hard to tell someone's tone of voice on MSN and that can lead to misunderstandings!
Lauren18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, it can be hard to tell someone's tone of voice on MSN and that can lead to misunderstandings!
That is so true - and the same applies to text messages. My boyfriend lives about an hour away, and as neither of us drive we don't see each other as much as we would like; although it's not anywhere near as bad as some of you guys on here - we see each other every few days! There have been quite a few 'misunderstandings' over texts etc - it can be tricky, so just keep an open mind :p:
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lauren18)
That is so true - and the same applies to text messages. My boyfriend lives about an hour away, and as neither of us drive we don't see each other as much as we would like; although it's not anywhere near as bad as some of you guys on here - we see each other every few days! There have been quite a few 'misunderstandings' over texts etc - it can be tricky, so just keep an open mind :p:
Yeah, my bf and I used to argue a lot when the internet was our primary means of communication! It was made worse by the fact that some guys aren't very good at expressing themselves in words, and English isn't even his first language, bless him!
Lauren18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, my bf and I used to argue a lot when the internet was our primary means of communication! It was made worse by the fact that some guys aren't very good at expressing themselves in words, and English isn't even his first language, bless him!
Aaah... that's cute! And yes, some guys aren't that great at expressing themselves... but then neither am I so I shouldn't comment! x
Mr @
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What about if you go but don't stay at her house?
It seems good, but is it really worth that much money cause the flighs going to cost a bomb, then you have to think about food etc etc etc
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know what you mean :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's annoying when you're speaking on MSN and people just don't get what you're saying because they don't realise it's supposed to be sarcastic or light-hearted.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I know what you mean :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's annoying when you're speaking on MSN and people just don't get what you're saying because they don't realise it's supposed to be sarcastic or light-hearted.
Yeah, emoticons are only so helpful! I hate it when people use full stops on MSN... I always think they're displeased with me!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, emoticons are only so helpful! I hate it when people use full stops on MSN... I always think they're displeased with me!
Yes I agree there totally, lol.
Shelbycakes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i couldnt cope! i know its all soppy and blergh but i miss my boyfriend if i dont see him everydday( i live with him) dont know how were gunna cope at uni, although we'll only be a couple of hours apart!
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Shelbycakes)
i couldnt cope! i know its all soppy and blergh but i miss my boyfriend if i dont see him everydday( i live with him) dont know how were gunna cope at uni, although we'll only be a couple of hours apart!
I know what you mean, I live with my bf now and I don't think I could go back to it being a LDR!
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've had two internet relationships. credit to you that it's going well, but what are your plans long term. i think not having met her, well i don't know, looking back i find it hard to take myself seriously, that compared to my relationship now, it wasn't a "real" relationship but hey if it works for you, go for it.

as far as long distance goes, my ex and i were together 18 months and as he was in the RAF he lived a fair distance away so we only saw each other every month, which was hard, and i think that when you do meet up, in some respects things will be harder. you will finding yourself thingking about what it was like to be with her, and no webcam or phonecallcan fully replace that feeling. we eventually split up cos he mved to las vegas. and we couldn't do it. he was going to be there 3 years and it would have been to hard so i really respect you both for coping with the long distance.
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lauren18)
i have that problem so much to the extent we prefer not to speak via the evils of msn.

and he feels arkward on the phone, so i make do with seeing him once/twice a week. tho come september we'll both be in sheffield so i'm not complaining
StyleLover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had a long distance relationship in 2003 till 2004 n i never met tht guy till now!!
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd agree with that. Hehe.
StyleLover
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
True tht happens alot, coz words really cant express everything plus my ex-bf n I used to get in touch thru sms now thts more expensive than internet!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (222)
28.07%
No (569)
71.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise