Turn on thread page Beta

Long Distance Relationships - who else has one? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you look back to pre-internet days, are internet relationships THAT much different from pen-pals?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all you could express yourself more openly @ net using all these emoticons n stuff like tht..
    but the pen-pal relationships r guarranteed to last longer n forever onto your heart as compared to internet relationship where you got the easy option of block!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in one, we did'nt meet online though, we met on a course thing. I'm in Newcastle, he's in Essex, we don't get to see each other THAT often cos of the distance, but next year at uni we'll be closer. It works well, we both trust each other, talk to each other every day, and though I'd love him to live closer I won't let the distance stop us. It's difficult at times when we haven;t seen each other weeks, but you learn to cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, me and my bf have been in a LDR for 19 months now. Its so weird, but until you're in the situation you kinda dont understand it. Because i used to frown on internet relationships. then got introduced to this great guy who i love and adore and want to spend the rest of my life with! We never get to see each other though, was ages between his last two visits (was April 24th last time i saw him). Its hard to understand the way you get attatched to someone even over the net and with phone calls! I have the added thing of him being friends with all my friends and knowing them so it wasnt like i didnt know his character so it was safer, but i do think that they can really work if both people try and want the same thing! You do have to meet though, because it does change how you feel whether it be better or worse! I realised i was in love with my bf one night, standing out by my stables, looking up at the sky at the stars and thinking "there's nowhere else i want to be". Was really great.

Be careful, be safe. But dont let an oppurtunity pass you by because of the bad press internet relationships get! Do lots of phone calls and webcam if you both have that! Thats always a good way to make sure the other person is who they say they are. Make them do something to prove they're real . Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have a long distance relationship with my grandma. YAY! *eats popcorn*

ReputationRep:
    yes; my boyfriend lives in glasgow, I live in west sussex. we met on the internet in late 2001, and for various different reasons didn't meet until christmas / new year 2003. we've been together for about 1yr6mths and I'm going up to university in glasgow in september.

ReputationRep:
    OOOOh, by the way, my 19 month anniversary was the day before yours, lol

ReputationRep:
    congratssssssssss1111111!!!!!!!1 1111111111111

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a long distance relationship.... well it's only about 90 miles away.. I live in Welshpool (mid wales) and she lives near Stratford-upon-Avon... met on another student forum... met up! and were going out... going to the same university aswell! I'm so lucky we found each other, I love her so much

ReputationRep:
    long distance never worked for me. the phone bills are japanese assasins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finnstar)
    long distance never worked for me. the phone bills are japanese assasins.
    hence my ex always called me

what? he could afford it on RAF pay....

ReputationRep:
    I had a superlong LDR until 5 mins ago-I've just split up with her She was in Florida and I'm in the UK so it couldn't work because she didn't sacrifice enough time for me.

ReputationRep:
    I had LDR and I can say that it's like a computer game: when you are online, you have a bf, but when you turn off your pc game is over and you go to an ordinary date or night club with your friends. My "bf" believed that he is the only one for me and that I'm perfect (it's far from that), but I really loved him somehow. And he loved me. But the funniest thing is the end: I got a message from him that he is getting married after 2 weeks It hurt me a little, because we were "together" for 2 years and I was the last person to know this. Anyway we are friends now and it's a kind of next level in computer game

ReputationRep:
    I think they work if you're both honest with each other - like i say, phone calls and webcams! You can see who they spend their time with. And stay online late - its what i do. Not like after 8 o clock they sneak someone in if you're there watching! hehe! I dunno, they can work, you just have to know each other.

ReputationRep:
    I think they work if you're both honest with each other - like i say, phone calls and webcams! You can see who they spend their time with. And stay online late - its what i do. Not like after 8 o clock they sneak someone in if you're there watching! hehe! I dunno, they can work, you just have to know each other.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of an LDR at the moment.

My boyfriend and I met at secondary school (he was in Yr 11, I was in Yr 10) but his in his first year of uni at Bristol, which is around 50 miles away from where I live. Usually we see each other every three weeks or so but recently we didn't see each other for 8 weeks because of exam revision, which sucked. We talk on MSN quite a bit too but it usually ends up in misunderstandings!

Its a nice kind of relationship in my opinion, since we've both got a lot of freedom but we still have each other. I wouldn't want to suffocate him and spoil his opportunity to go out and meets loads of new people at uni, just as he wouldn't want to do the same to me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, right, webcams and phone calls. We had this daily!!! But it didn't stop me to go out with a real bf and him to get married. LDR is the same as believing in God. You know he exisct, but you've never seen him and all things might change at the last moment even though you asked not to do this... Chatting might be compared with praying... You are talking, but it doesn't have any sence.

ReputationRep:
    actually i find praying quite sensical, and i find that when you have a webcam to a person on every night from 6 till 12 its unlikely there's a second relationship, though i admit it does happen.... I know what you mean Amie about it being nice to let them be free but to still have you when its all said and done! Its good for you both to have you're own friends and mutual friends i think,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattwilson)
    We’ve also done all that’s possible to physically love each other either on msn or on the phone.
    As if there's a lot to do? What happens if you meet and you actually don't get on at all? It's very possible. Sounds really weird to be going out with someone you have never actually had physical contact with. What do you say to your mates about her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    As if there's a lot to do? What happens if you meet and you actually don't get on at all? It's very possible. Sounds really weird to be going out with someone you have never actually had physical contact with. What do you say to your mates about her?
    Yeah I know. I think that's why it's probably best not to start a "relationship" until you've at least met up once.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.