The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Keep to the topic please. I've deleted all off-topic petty argumentative posts.
Reply 61
mongrel73
Did nobody else do the Russian depth study?

I did - The source question was a breeze, esp. the first question since I even knew which magazine it had come from! For the essay, i did the question about The Purges... I didn't really study Trotsky's role in the civil war that much (all i know is that he was War Commisar, and went around in a train with special troops to raise morale), so I had to go for the "Was Stalin good for the USSR?" question; I said he was crucial to the USSR's future survival, but caused a humanitarian crisis when in power.
Reply 62
NSiky
I could only get 2 paragraphs out of that for a 7 marker.

You don't need very much for 7 marks! One paragraph is enough you just need to put the message, details from the source and your own knowledge and explain the points you make. Read the mark scheme. i think you think GCSEs are harder than they are.

I hardly wrote anything for that exam and i wrote less for the mock but got an A*. According to the markscheme, even for 10 mark questions you only need 3 or 4 explained points plus an evalutaion for full marks. You shouldn't worry about how much you wrote at all.
Reply 63
mongrel73
You don't need very much for 7 marks! One paragraph is enough you just need to put the message, details from the source and your own knowledge and explain the points you make. Read the mark scheme. i think you think GCSEs are harder than they are.

I hardly wrote anything for that exam and i wrote less for the mock but got an A*. According to the markscheme, even for 10 mark questions you only need 3 or 4 explained points plus an evalutaion for full marks. You shouldn't worry about how much you wrote at all.

Exactly, i think that people who write more than a whole booklet just ramble on a bit, and stray away from the question. I did a complete booklet and i knew i had put in info i didnt need. But to me I wouldnt have felt like i had done well if i had only written a few pages.
Reply 64
For the 6 mark question on reparations what there didnt seem that much you could write.
I said how much it was and by when it would be payed and it was becuase Germany had to pay for all damage caused in the war. Couldnt think of much else to write than that. Oh, and also I talked bout how the guilt clause allowed the Big 3 to force Germany to pay the reparations.
Does this sound right?
Reply 65
mullabc.02
For the 6 mark question on reparations what there didnt seem that much you could write.
I said how much it was and by when it would be payed and it was becuase Germany had to pay for all damage caused in the war. Couldnt think of much else to write than that. Oh, and also I talked bout how the guilt clause allowed the Big 3 to force Germany to pay the reparations.
Does this sound right?

More or less, i wrote about half a page for that one, probably repeated myself a few times but hey.
Reply 66
I can't really remember that much about it so I probably didn't do that much either. I remember saying how much the reperations were (equivalent to 6600 million I think), I remember saying that they were decided upon in April 1921. And I said about the War Guilt Clause and essentially that was why they had to pay; it was thought that seen as they'd accepted responsibility for starting the war, they should technically pay for the damage it had thus caused. I said that the money would go towards rebuilding, especially in France which had been "devastated" (!) by the fighting, and I also said that the Allies would use the money to pay off their war debts. I said that this was why Germany struggled so much as well - because they'd been planning to do the same, extract money from the losers of the war, because they were so confident about winning. I threw in that because of this arrogance, they hadn't put taxes up to pay for the war, and thus, struggles a lot with the reperation installments.
Reply 67
zhivago
I can't really remember that much about it so I probably didn't do that much either. I remember saying how much the reperations were (equivalent to 6600 million I think), I remember saying that they were decided upon in April 1921. And I said about the War Guilt Clause and essentially that was why they had to pay; it was thought that seen as they'd accepted responsibility for starting the war, they should technically pay for the damage it had thus caused. I said that the money would go towards rebuilding, especially in France which had been "devastated" (!) by the fighting, and I also said that the Allies would use the money to pay off their war debts. I said that this was why Germany struggled so much as well - because they'd been planning to do the same, extract money from the losers of the war, because they were so confident about winning. I threw in that because of this arrogance, they hadn't put taxes up to pay for the war, and thus, struggles a lot with the reperation installments.

I also argued that it takes two to fight and germany shouldn't have been blamed totally, it was just the fact that germany had lost the war that the "big 3" took advantage and made them pay. And the fact the ypres in belgium was badly affected, this was where france also made money etc etc. Then i went on to talk about hyperinflation etc
mullabc.02
Does this sound right?

I was reading through some 'general advice' stuff I got given and it said for a 6 mark question you should write about 2-3 paragraphs. What you said is pretty much what I said. I talked about the damage done by the war especially in France and Belgium. And everything you said, so dont worry about it I'm sure you did good.
Reply 69
ypres in belgium

I've been there. It's ****ing beautiful, truly. :biggrin: Although, it's sad, it's saturated in grave yards - filled with just more and more white crosses. We went on a History trip last year.
My 3 reasons were they agreed to paying them in the peace armistice, they signed article 2.3.1., the war guilt clause, and NE France had been damaged in areas due to the war, in battles like the Somme & Verdun. Should be good enough to get 5 or 6 I hope.
Reply 71
zhivago
I've been there. It's ****ing beautiful, truly. :biggrin: Although, it's sad, it's saturated in grave yards - filled with just more and more white crosses. We went on a History trip last year.

I know, i went on a battlefields trip there, its really nice.
Reply 72
Did you go into those sort of preserved trenches? You can go into them to give you the 'army' experience? They were amazing. We played army in them, and then realised how disrespectful it must have seemed so we stopped. They truly were amazing though. Very muddy. Did you visit the Somme as well? Where Wilfred Owen's dug out was? I have greater respect for those soldiers now I've seen what conditions would have been like.

Latest