The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Freshers Week Metal Fest... Free For Freshers

Ok so I just lifted this from another site so thought I should post it here. I dunno how it works. Probably on the freshers wristband things you will no doubt get. These are all local bands! I've seen them all before aside from Gabriel Sylar. Dunno if I will go. Only band there I really like is Kchgh.

CAFE DRUMMOND PRESENTS

2009 FRESHERS WEEK / METAL FEST with

ABLACH - Grindcore
SAIKANO - Metalcore style
UNCALM - dunno how to describe them, just really fast hard/noisecore I suppose.. the guitarist is a legend!
GABRIEL SYLAR - just listened and sounds like early A7X metalcore stuff.. not the breakdown heavy style
KCHGH - tech metal band.
CHOOSE YOUR FATE - hardcore

PLUS MORE TBC

SUN 27TH SEPT

DOORS 7PM / ADMISSION £4 [ FREE ADMISSION TO ALL 2009 FRESHERS ]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds awful :biggrin:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
I'll give it a miss :smile:
Reply 3
LOL, grindcore... idk if my ears or brain could keep up with that. What Aberdeen needs is a math metal night, I'd go along to that gladly :yes:
Reply 4
Keeno I see you are going to see Funeral in October, my flatmate wants me to go.
Reply 5
Zedd
LOL, grindcore... idk if my ears or brain could keep up with that. What Aberdeen needs is a math metal night, I'd go along to that gladly :yes:

Their is one... look in my sig :wink: The Arusha Accord and A Textbook Tragedy. Amazing bands. The Arusha Accords album is out next month. Can't wait!! Also This Town Needs Guns are a math rock band... kinda similar to Minus The Bear. Not quite as awesome though :p: Now I think about it.... The Number Twelve Looks Like You are a mathcore band! So that's actually 3!

Aberdeen wise their are only a few bands playing what I consider to be mathy stuff. Kchgh is kinda mathy. Very very technical stuff. Great name too. It's their attempt to spell the noise made by static in between radio stations!

dd1989
Keeno I see you are going to see Funeral in October, my flatmate wants me to go.

I am going with one of my best mates. It's a tour in support of their greatest hits/rarities album thing so they will be playing the early stuff.. which is good cos I prefer it by a mile!!
dd1989

If you've not got a ticket by now... well.. you probably wont get one.

I've looked on lots of sites and was gutted to see "sold out"
Reply 7
Laura_f_1990
If you've not got a ticket by now... well.. you probably wont get one.

I've looked on lots of sites and was gutted to see "sold out"

Nah they're still on sale.
http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_scotland&query=detail&event=334581
Reply 8
Oh btw... an update on Moshulu!!! Well soon to be warehouse...
First ive heard about not having an alchohol license - thats completely untrue.

There is a lot of rumours going about...some being...the following:
-its turning into a cybergoth club
-its turning into a jazz bar
-its going to be black with red carpets and white lights
-its going to be an electronic dance club
-bubblegum and candyfloss

all not true.

Basically, here goes (and bear in mind if your coming to the gigs this weekend youll see for yourself).
From next week the venue re-opens from the 17th for clubnights and live events forwards. This weekends gig have been confirmed for ages so we are opening to accomodate them and then using the 5 days after to do finishing touches.

Changes to the Venue:
-Toilets ripped out and started from scratch - new everything in there now (both toilets)

-new lighting on walls, panel sides above seating, general club lighting,

-mirrrors at side gone, replaced with panel walls and seating to go in front

-seating in general upped in the venue - ridiculously nice leather seats and cool chairs in there now

- carpet in main room / back room / foyer is gone - main club area is now wood floors, foyer and back areas / small area in main room are carpeted

-the cage/ ugly grids beside the stairwell have gone

-the dj booth has been modified into a gear / storage / tune up area for techs

-bars been stripped back and replaced

-the meat flaps which seperate the two rooms are gone - replaced with a stand alone corrider which seperates the back room and front

-back room has had a bigger / better pa installed with better DJ equipment also, wooden floors, bars replaced, more lighting, carpeted area and general tidy up.

Thats ll i can think of for now, but there has literally been so much changed that i could be missing something!

Colour wise- youll have to see for yourself but its much brighter, nicer and less dark and dingy!

New website is on its way, in the meantime use the old moshulu one for gig listings.

Clubs go live from next week - details to follow.

Although their is apparently a lot of purple on the walls..
Reply 9
Got to say that I am not a math mentalist, I'm into Meshuggah (although admittedly I haven't listened to their latest album) and do enjoy listening to some guys that emulate Fredrik Thordendals sound (both pre-Catch 33 and post) but idk, 'tis a lot of effort to get into these bands sometimes. But definitely I like math over grind, black, death, etc which take a lot of effort to listen to.
Reply 10
Haha goldie lookin' chain are playing on the 12th of dec at that moshulu, can't believe they are still going.
Needs more comedic goregrind bands.
Reply 12
Zedd
Got to say that I am not a math mentalist, I'm into Meshuggah (although admittedly I haven't listened to their latest album) and do enjoy listening to some guys that emulate Fredrik Thordendals sound (both pre-Catch 33 and post) but idk, 'tis a lot of effort to get into these bands sometimes. But definitely I like math over grind, black, death, etc which take a lot of effort to listen to.

Ah their is a bit of a difference. Math just refers to the time signature changes etc. Just general complexity. 'Djent' is the term coined to describe the Thordendals guitar tone.

So their is an entire genre of math metal/mathcore that is very dissonant and full of time signature changes but sounds nothing like Meshuggah! Think Botch/ Dillinger Escape Plan etc. Or for sheer mentalness check out Psyopus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEq1WB_YVE It took me ages to like them!

As for the djent sound only 2 bands I know of in Aberdeen that use that tone and they don't tour atm. just recording. Both led by the same guitarist! We get some bands touring though. The Arusha Accords new stuff is very djenty and Fellsilent should be here at some point! For clarification as in sounding like this...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAmUmZMsSs that's what djenty stuff is
Reply 13
Keeno89
Ah their is a bit of a difference. Math just refers to the time signature changes etc. Just general complexity. 'Djent' is the term coined to describe the Thordendals guitar tone.

So their is an entire genre of math metal/mathcore that is very dissonant and full of time signature changes but sounds nothing like Meshuggah! Think Botch/ Dillinger Escape Plan etc. Or for sheer mentalness check out Psyopus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huEq1WB_YVE It took me ages to like them!

As for the djent sound only 2 bands I know of in Aberdeen that use that tone and they don't tour atm. just recording. Both led by the same guitarist! We get some bands touring though. The Arusha Accords new stuff is very djenty and Fellsilent should be here at some point! For clarification as in sounding like this...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAmUmZMsSs that's what djenty stuff is

Not really digging that first link, initially it sounded like John Petrucci but kind of got boring and too fast to sound good imo. The vocal style doesn't really go down too well with me either.

I am fairly aware of Bulb, I used to post on sevenstring.org when out of nowhere (it seemed) this dude called Bulb turned up with his great emulations of Fredrik. Definitely a sound and style I would like to be able to play but I am so rusty (not cooley :rolleyes: ) and have forgotten a lot that I can't really play much of anything nowadays.
Reply 14
Zedd
Not really digging that first link, initially it sounded like John Petrucci but kind of got boring and too fast to sound good imo. The vocal style doesn't really go down too well with me either.

I am fairly aware of Bulb, I used to post on sevenstring.org when out of nowhere (it seemed) this dude called Bulb turned up with his great emulations of Fredrik. Definitely a sound and style I would like to be able to play but I am so rusty (not cooley :rolleyes: ) and have forgotten a lot that I can't really play much of anything nowadays.

Yeah Psyopus are a bit mental. I know some die hard math fans who just find them too mind warping.

Their are loads of djent bands I can send you! I love the style. Free music wise check out Keith Merrow and Cloudkicker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-aaZ5GA6w

ha ha I bought a guitar in February and have been meaning to teach myself but kinda pick up guitar then put it down in like 30 mins cos I am rubbish. Need some perserverance! I have a 7 string so maybe when I learn to play half decent I can get some gear to produce that sound. ENGL heads ftw! Oh btw their is a glasgow band called Paridian who play that style. They come up here a fair bit. Seen them twice this year. http://www.myspace.com/paridian
Reply 15
I bought a really nice Washburn acoustic about 4 years ago, well my dad bought it as he loves music and had visions of me giving some Clapton...LOL maybe not, I can't play a thing.
Reply 16
dd1989
I bought a really nice Washburn acoustic about 4 years ago, well my dad bought it as he loves music and had visions of me giving some Clapton...LOL maybe not, I can't play a thing.

Haha. You, Zedd and I should have group lessons. One of my mates is a professionally accredited guitar teacher... but I don't think he does free lessons. May give me discounts though :p:

It's not that bad really. I have spent nearly £500 on my guitar gear :p: Although both guitars were second hand so I can get almost all of my money back and the 7 string I got a great deal on so can probably make money on that.

Although I must say... someone is selling an Ibanez Rg prestige for £200 cos they are leaving soon so just want to get rid of it. If I had the money I would actually buy that! Even second hand it's worth £300-£400
Reply 17
The magic word...overdraft...again... :biggrin:

Yeah my acoustic was £280 + £40 for a soft Taylor bag, then some more pennies as hated the strings so I bought some more and restrung it, picks, few guitar books/DVDs, a stand, all a complete and utter ******* waste of money!!!
Reply 18
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Washburn/WD44S/10/1

LOL I didn't realise my guitar was actually any good.... must just be my shiiit playing.
Reply 19
dd1989
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Washburn/WD44S/10/1

LOL I didn't realise my guitar was actually any good.... must just be my shiiit playing.

I don't have an overdraft :frown: If I did I would buy this! Or if I had confirmation of student loans I might.... I have neither atm

Latest

Trending

Trending