Opening lines on med personal statements Watch

This discussion is closed.
loobie_lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
UCAS Apply 2006 starts the week commencing 13th June! Yay! Finally I can start my (second) UCAS form lol.

As the title is a bit of a giveaway, I need a catch first line (which all the med school books seem to emphasise...) for my UCAS form so does anyone have any inspiration? Unfortunately I left my creative writing skills back when I dropped English language after GCSE :p:

Ellie x
BLUREMI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heres my one which imo is actually not good at all. I did manage to get 3 interviews though so it cant be that bad.

The importance of good health in our lives cannot be understated. Continuous advancements in the field of medicine help pave the way for better health for future generations. Medicine is an engaging career due to its diversity, academic challenge and connection with individuals.
Shelbycakes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My desire to study medicine at university was re-affirmed when I spent the summer volunteering with young people who had disabilities or were socially disadvantaged. I was fortunate to spend a considerable amount of time with a child with autism and the satisfaction on the child’s face when we were able to successfully communicate was exceedingly rewarding. Whilst working in this environment, I learned to work through the frustrations of failure, making me more determined to succeed – not just for myself but also for others. My involvement with these young people confirmed to me that perseverance leads to breakthrough – a key concept within the medical profession. this was mine!got me three interviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What makes me laugh is that most books say you need a catchy start and finish, when in reality most ATs skip the first and last sentances as they're usually pointless openers and finishers

Save the words for actually adding something positive about you to your PS...
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by loobie_lou)
UCAS Apply 2006 starts the week commencing 13th June! Yay! Finally I can start my (second) UCAS form lol.
huh so can we apply from the 13th june? Hmm well my opening line so far is: "I have been focussed on medicine my whole life." And then it gets too dreamy and needs to be changed :albertein:
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have they changed it for this year then? UCAS usually only opens it's next session after clearing for the previous session has closed - normally mid-September...
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
According to UCAS it's not changed:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/getting/how/appflow06.pdf
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Loopz)
huh so can we apply from the 13th june? Hmm well my opening line so far is: "I have been focussed on medicine my whole life." And then it gets too dreamy and needs to be changed :albertein:
Don't say that.

I can't remember what my first line was but really, you're not going to come up with anything that they haven't seen before, or that's going to get you in just on the strength of that.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Don't say that.

I can't remember what my first line was but really, you're not going to come up with anything that they haven't seen before, or that's going to get you in just on the strength of that.
yeh i changed it to 'ive been focussed on paediactic my whole life' and yea i think its not so great but its also true. i wrote a first draft today and if you want to i'll PM you it?

there is no straight forward answer to this Q, it depends on what follows and the whole style of your PS, and it probably doesn't matter enormously either.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"Little pig little pig, let me come in"!

Sorry exams have finished..and i'm bored (but loving it!) My first line was something like "Everyone has an opinion about healthcare, and i went on to talk about medicine constantly being in the headlines which led on to media which led on to my love of books which led on to my love of medicine. I think. Seems like so long ago. Right now i can't even remember my name.
ThePenguinMafia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin!

Sorry, exams haven't fininshed and I'm very close to insanity.

I really have nothing to contribute to this. I can't actually remember what I wrote in my PS and don't have any copies
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"My fascination with medicine began..."

oh yes, i was one of those.. :p:

presumably the rest of the content was a little more inspired..
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin!

Sorry, exams haven't fininshed and I'm very close to insanity.

I really have nothing to contribute to this. I can't actually remember what I wrote in my PS and don't have any copies

At least you have an excuse I'm just being randomly random
ThePenguinMafia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oooh oooh, I've found my ending paragraph. Not the same, but meh, here it is:

From my various social and voluntary activities, I have learned to cope with a demanding schedule and how to juggle my various academic and social requirements. I believe my life so far has equipped me with the skills to face the rigours of a medical course, and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities that university will offer.
Bet they didn't see others like that!!! Oh wait...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Loopz)
yeh i changed it to 'ive been focussed on paediactic my whole life' and yea i think its not so great but its also true. i wrote a first draft today and if you want to i'll PM you it?

there is no straight forward answer to this Q, it depends on what follows and the whole style of your PS, and it probably doesn't matter enormously either.
Hmm, I dunno - it's not the "focussed on X" thing that I think is bad, it's the "my whole life" bit - even if it is true, they'll have heard it all before and also it implies you've been going into it because it's what you've wanted to do since you were 5 (when you're not really informed enough to make a career choice) rather than making a more mature decision. PM me it if you want me to have a look. I didn't write mine until September though, this is very organised!
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My opening and finishing lines were just some cheesy cliched lines about wanting to do medicine since I was a wee nipper lol. I got 3 interviews so must've been alright. As long as your opening/finishing phrases read ok I think that's all that matters. It's unlikely that you're going to get an interview on the strength of that alone, because as has been said, they'll have heard most of it before. I concentrated a lot more on my extra-curricular activities and work experience sections which are the main things they're looking for IMO.

But you've got ages to go yet. I wrote and re-wrote my PS about 10-12 times I think till I 'perfected' it.
Naveed
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
many weeks after i submitted my ucas form, i realised that my first line didnt actually make any sense:

"I aspire to be a good doctor because I am empathic, intelligent and hardworking."

duno why leeds and newcastle let me in, i reckon they just didnt bother reading that first line
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Looking back on my PS, I think it's ***** and I could have done witout the opener and closer...

Gaining my first degree in genetics, working for 13 months in the pharmaceutical industry and completing my D.Phil. research in the molecular progression of cancer inducing events, have given me the confidence to further my career in the direction of clinical medicine.
Vomit!
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The starter of mine..

"Inspired by a fascination in...."

Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
The starter of mine..

"Inspired by a fascination in...."

Oh! Is this like one of those games where you add the next bit of the story?

...old ladies wearing...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (286)
27.24%
No (764)
72.76%

Watched Threads