The Student Room Group

Warwick Maths Offer 2010

For those of you interested in studying maths at Warwick, the standard offer for admission in 2010 just came out:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer

Offer 1: A(M) A(FM) A 2
Offer 2: A*(M) a(FM) A A 2

2 denotes grade 2 in a Maths STEP or AEA paper. (M) (FM) denote Mathematics and Further Mathematics.
UPPER/lower case letters denote grades in A/AS-level.

For those with other qualifications, refer to:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/otherquals

Note that this offer applies to the following programs: BSc Maths Single-Honours, MMath Maths Single-Honours, BSc Maths and Business Studies, BSc Maths and Economics and BSc Maths and Philosophy.

The entry requirements are different for BSc Discrete Maths (Computer Science dept), Maths and Physics (Physics dept), Maths and Statistics (Statistics dept) and MORSE (Statistics dept) for which you may refer to their respective departments in order to know their entry requirements.

Scroll to see replies

That's a change, weren't they AAB last year? Also looks like they only accept applicants with AS/A2 Further maths now as well
Reply 2
milliondollarcorpse
That's a change, weren't they AAB last year? Also looks like they only accept applicants with AS/A2 Further maths now as well

One of their offers last year was AABb+2 with A in maths and further maths. The other offers were straight A offers with 2 in STEP/AEA I think.
Reply 3
Maths & Stats is AAAa
Reply 4
Damn, I was relying on their offer being AABb 2 this year.
Reply 5
Oh lawdy, look at that offer rise. :awesome:
Reply 6
I'm actually glad in a way because I was kinda worried that they wouldn't give me an offer if it was still AABb2 as I didn't get a B in the AS I dropped.
Reply 7
I suppose the other 3 COWI uni's are AAA so it was bound to happen eventually....
Reply 8
Killer_bees
I suppose the other 3 COWI uni's are AAA so it was bound to happen eventually....

Warwick used to have an AAAA (no STEP/AEA) requirement as one of their maths offers a couple of years ago. They got rid of it and decided to make STEP/AEA compulsory just like Cambridge as they believe that it is a better indicator of mathematical talent than asking for a string of A's. But I guess they changed that this year because of the increasing demand for a place on the course.
Reply 9
If I only take 3 A levels, will I only get the first offer?
ShortRef
If I only take 3 A levels, will I only get the first offer?

Depends on whether one of your A levels is further maths or not, if you've done further maths at as then dropped it you could potentially get the 2nd offer but I don't think many people do that.
Reply 11
Killer_bees
Depends on whether one of your A levels is further maths or not, if you've done further maths at as then dropped it you could potentially get the 2nd offer but I don't think many people do that.

No I'm taking M, FM and physics all at A2

And do they only want 1 step paper?
Reply 12
ShortRef
And do they only want 1 step paper?

Yes. Or AEA Maths.
Krush
Yes. Or AEA Maths.

Are they still doing AEA? I thought they were replacing them with the A* grade.
I was hoping for it to stay at AABb. Not that it matters that much for me.
Killer_bees
Are they still doing AEA? I thought they were replacing them with the A* grade.

The mathematics A* still wouldn't cover the purpose of AEA as in other subjects as there are no extra hard questions; so AEA maths will continue until 2011.
thepieofpie
The mathematics A* still wouldn't cover the purpose of AEA as in other subjects as there are no extra hard questions; so AEA maths will continue until 2011.

Oh ok that makes sense, do you know if STEP is going to carry on past 2011?
Reply 17
It would be very unusual for it not to, seeing as Cambridge administer it themselves.
Reply 18
Killer_bees

There's no evidence that it wouldn't. It's been around since 1989 and is separate from A-levels in that it doesn't really follow the proper A-level boards, where as AEA's only been around since 2002 and was built to challenge the top 10% of A-level students.
Killer_bees

Well it near certainly won't stop as Cambridge use it for their admissions but as for it being part of the standard Warwick offer maybe not. I don't really know but they may just decide to axe the STEP component in favour of asking for A* grades in maths and F.maths.

Latest