Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to know if anyone knows more about what i've just discovered....

AQA use special paper and ink to electronically convert your papers into some sort of PDF file. They then send this file to some poor developing country, where thousands of people have to key in your answers according to the copy of your script they're given.

Your exam entered computerized stuff is then sent to AQA again and checked against a database of correct answers, your mark is calculated automatically. This is ALREADY being done now as we speak for FRENCH MATHS SCIENCE AND SOME OTHER SUBJECTS

I believe this is completely wrong and shouldn't be allowed, we put the hard work in and they simply ignore it and get a computer to do it. Its not fair!

ReputationRep:
    meh, it's cheaper. it's only the one word answers...

ReputationRep:
    Wheres your proof? please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpliftMof0)
    Wheres your proof? please?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

http://education.guardian.co.uk/gcse...469845,00.html

http://onlypunjab.com/fullstory2k5-i...wsID-2617.html

http://www.offshoring-digest.com/outsourcing/192.html

i thought everyone knew this. i think it was even on radio one.

ReputationRep:
    itd on the ****ing website you dumbass

ReputationRep:
    There's no need for that kind of language. He was only helping

ReputationRep:
    hmm can't say i blame them... it's called capitalism....

viva la revolution

love Matt xxx

ReputationRep:
    But won't it be hard to read quite scruffy handwriting?

ReputationRep:
    They are not OCR'd....just scanned and sent off electronically, where someone in another country marks one word answers.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to call you all odd but...
    Yes, the marking's taking place in India. But it's not thousands of peope being poked with pointy sticks doing it under slave conditions. It's a job they apply for...they are paid...like when you get call centres in China?

ReputationRep:
    they are as good as being OCR'd to be honest, i mean you're sending GCSE scripts off to foreign countries and expecting them to understand everything that is said. I believe that it's another sad example of exploitation and also of the exam boards cutting corners. There is no doubt that this type of marking will lead to a quicker results process but ultimately any increase in speed comes at a loss of quality

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - I have to agree and disagree with that last point. I'm Indian, was brought up in Bombay for 13 years, learnt to speak English perfectly as my mother tongue, and then got a place at Westminster. Just because India is classed as an LEDC, doesn't necessarily mean that they can't speak English properly. Often enough, Indians actually speak better English that the English do, because "Queen's English" is taught there. India was a colony of Britain you know! It also provides jobs for those who are qualified, intelligent people.

However, I do worry about the security of scanning and emailing - it does save money, but I think it's a step too far.

ReputationRep:
    fair point, but surely u must recognise the point that there are dangers involved with sending papers half way accross the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinktank)
    lol, why did u use that sort of language?u always make me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that amused me an all! No offence to who it was directed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja32)
    fair point, but surely u must recognise the point that there are dangers involved with sending papers half way accross the world
    But I did - read my post again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)
    Hmm - I have to agree and disagree with that last point. I'm Indian, was brought up in Bombay for 13 years, learnt to speak English perfectly as my mother tongue, and then got a place at Westminster. Just because India is classed as an LEDC, doesn't necessarily mean that they can't speak English properly. Often enough, Indians actually speak better English that the English do, because "Queen's English" is taught there. India was a colony of Britain you know! It also provides jobs for those who are qualified, intelligent people.
    That's fine, but British students whose education is paid for by the tax payer deserve to have their papers marked by professional, British examiners. It's disgusting that examination boards are cutting corners and, I'm afraid, exploiting foreign labour, ''where examiners' salaries are a fifth of those here", to make profit in a businessthat needs to be centralised.

Examination marking should not be a method of job creation, and if indeed it is, then it should certainly be in England. Tax payers money should never go to creating jobs for qualified professionals abroad - that's shocking.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, but British students whose education is paid for by the tax payer deserve to have their papers marked by professional, British examiners. It's disgusting that examination boards are cutting corners and, I'm afraid, exploiting foreign labour, ''where examiners' salaries are a fifth of those here", to make profit in a businessthat needs to be centralised.

Examination marking should not be a method of job creation, and if indeed it is, then it should certainly be in England. Tax payers money should never go to creating jobs for qualified professionals abroad - that's shocking.
    No - really, I quite agree with you - it's just didn't want other people getting the impression that Indian people are generally stupid due to the economic state of the country (somebody needs to defend us!) - I think that the cutting of corners if dreadful - I was just highlighting the "plus points" for others.

ReputationRep:
    The only worry I have is the reading of the answers. I have quite bad handwriting and many people i know have worse. I cant 100% expect a person who's first langauge is not english to comprehend bad handwriting. I see they have put measures to prevent this but in my eyes what has been done is not enough.

I personally dont see an issue with the exams being sent abroad for cheaper markers (in fact they dont even mark them) other than the obvious security/danger risks. In my eyes many people will benefit from being able to get a job. In fact I remember watching a documentary which described the life of an average telesales worker and it was quite a good life the man had, far better than those in other jobs.

ReputationRep:
    The exam boards have a shortage of examiners - what are they to do? It is not because of the "exploitation" that is possible, it is because nobody here wants to mark papers!

I have read somewhere that the exam boards have even resorted to the employment of university students to mark papers...and thats not because they're cheap.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.