The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel that porridge makes them hungrier sooner?

Scroll to see replies

Daniella1990
i think its just more processed and has more sugar in it, and then if you put in even more sugar and it goes all warm and gooey :biggrin::yep:

It doesn't fill you up and it costs more and takes about 1 less minute to prepare. Don't use ready brek if you have any common sense.
Rule Britannia
It doesn't fill you up and it costs more and takes about 1 less minute to prepare. Don't use ready brek if you have any common sense.

well thank you for your view... first of all, i like ready brek, second i do have common sense its just personal preference.
Reply 22
Yes. Simply because I am a bit lactose intolerant so can only have a bit of porridge which wakes my stomach up rather than satisfying any night time hunger.
Reply 23
EskimoJo
Yes. Simply because I am a bit lactose intolerant so can only have a bit of porridge which wakes my stomach up rather than satisfying any night time hunger.

I thought lactose intolerance was to do with milk? :confused:

Porridge can be made with water (and, like the Scots, a pinch of salt, not sugar = lovely!) :biggrin:
Rule Britannia
Do you eat instant porridge by any chance?

If what you're eating is a fine powder it honestly doesn't surprise me.

Buy the whole grain, mix it with some MILK and cook it in a pot. It will take 3-4 minutes and will fill you up. Have a cup of coffee with it as well for extra filling.

I eat like a pig but I never feel hungry after eating real porridge. I've always felt hungry after eating processed instant oat crap. It just doesn't feel you up and has all the texture of water.

Whole grains! I never ate porridge before because dad would always buy ready brek which quite frankly is disgusting but I eat it every morning now I've tried unprocessed oats.

Instant oats is the biggest advertising coup in history. Food that takes, 3-4 minutes a WHOLE MINUTE FASTER OMG!!! please, boycott this nasty, cheap and unsatisfying crap. Thanks :smile:

I don't i use wholegrain oats and slow cook on a stove.
Reply 25
lizfairy
over 100g of porridge or oats that make up the porridge?

I usually have 20-25 g oats, made with water and soya milk and a bit of sugar or honey or syrup or fruit.

100g of oats that make the porridge (sometimes slightly more).

300ml of milk, raisins and then crunchy on top - yes my bowl is huge :biggrin:
Reply 26
I have 50g oats with 250ml water and stir half a thinly sliced banana in while it's cooking so that it 'dissolves' into the porridge. Just before it finishes cooking (which for me is about ten minutes because I like it thick) stir in a few tbsp plain yoghurt, then serve with a tiny bit of brown sugar, lots of nuts and dried dates.

Keeps me full for about five hours.
Reply 27
Have it with tea and avoid adding any sweet extras (the excess sugar you add could be making you crave more food, giving you a sugar high and then the low).
Porridge is excellent at diminishing hunger and making one feel full.
Reply 28
Cortez
100g of oats that make the porridge (sometimes slightly more).

300ml of milk, raisins and then crunchy on top - yes my bowl is huge :biggrin:

Do you cook it? It would expand alot if you did so.

I have about 150g in the morning, but don't cook because there isn't a bowl big enough haha

Also x2 with the raisins thing, can't beat that.

Edit: On the ready brek thing, its actually no different from normal outs, its just in powder form, I've compared both labels and theres no difference, except ready brek is fortified with vitamins, its only after you put the toppings etc that it becomes laden with sugar.
Reply 29
Skies

I have about 150g in the morning, but don't cook because there isn't a bowl big enough haha

Edit: On the ready brek thing, its actually no different from normal outs, its just in powder form, I've compared both labels and theres no difference, except ready brek is fortified with vitamins, its only after you put the toppings etc that it becomes laden with sugar.

Not on a hob, I just stick it in a microwave for a couple of minutes.
Reply 30
I had porridge for breakfast, and am really hungry now. :frown:

But I don't think I made quite as much as usual...
Reply 31
Aspiring
I thought lactose intolerance was to do with milk?

Porridge can be made with water (and, like the Scots, a pinch of salt, not sugar = lovely!) :biggrin:

Eww! It's not the same with water!
woooow success I had porridge this morning and it actually filled me up, I think because I undereat usually, what it is is that porridge makes me aware of my stomach, and how empty it often is.
Skies

You have 150g?? Are you sure? :eek::eek:

I have 20g... :o:
And to the person who said porridge is horrible with water, I think it tastes much nicer with water!
I have porridge in the morning with a sliced banana on top and honey and it keeps me full foor 4-5 hours.
Reply 35
patrickthestarfish
You have 150g?? Are you sure? :eek::eek:

I have 20g... :o:
And to the person who said porridge is horrible with water, I think it tastes much nicer with water!

Yes its a lot, comes to like 600kcals or something lol
Reply 36
I like having porridge in the morning or evening, but not for lunch. It seems that energe expended in the afternoon is much more than other period.
Reply 37
Sam656
It's low to med gi, it shouldn't do, however I just eat oats uncooked with milk and protein. I woulda thought cooking it into porridge would "make you even more full"
And why eat oats 'uncooked with milk and protein?' In fact, how can you; protein's not a food, it's an element found in food. There's protein in the oats. Just cook them in water and eat them, they'll do you good.

I feel full for ages after I eat porridge. I eat rather a lot of it, and then I'm often drinking water (with coffee grounds added), so I feel full for bloody ages.

This reminds me. I need to clean my porringer.
Reply 38
Tootles
And why eat oats 'uncooked with milk and protein?' In fact, how can you; protein's not a food, it's an element found in food. There's protein in the oats. Just cook them in water and eat them, they'll do you good.

I feel full for ages after I eat porridge. I eat rather a lot of it, and then I'm often drinking water (with coffee grounds added), so I feel full for bloody ages.

I think by protein, he meant a proteinous food eg. nuts. I thought that was pretty obvious..

Also, uncooked rolled oats with milk is really nice! I prefer it to cooked porridge.
Reply 39
Tootles

lol .... their is nothing wrong with oats instead of "porridge", and of course I meant protein powder.

If you're going to be picky, I add a little bran and honey too, and **** it taste nice. Gets that early morning muscle and liver glycogen restored and kicks me into protein synthesis for my workout.

And if you wanted to be a real nerd, why do you have this as your av as well? :rolleyes:

Got Nerd?
I think by protein, he meant a proteinous food eg. nuts. I thought that was pretty obvious..

Also, uncooked rolled oats with milk is really nice! I prefer it to cooked porridge.
He knew what I meant, he was trying to be picky.

Quick Reply

Latest