Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE exam papers will be sent to India for marking!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wtf?? :rolleyes: Lol that is so random!! Oh well, if that's how you do it over there, each to their own. Over where I live you just get cranky lecturers/teachers handing back work way after it's been handed in Sometimes can be a good thing tho lol

ReputationRep:
    Considering the shocking quality of the marking over here, how could it get much worse??? I think it's actually quite a good idea, provided that the Indian examiners know what they're doing (which presumably they would :rolleyes: ) It's not the same as BT Call Centres, where Indian people call up your house and DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU! (sorry, I just hate that) Having said that, will it have a similar effect in that people in this country will lose employment??? ...Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    will it have a similar effect in that people in this country will lose employment??? ...Discuss.
    Well most exam papers such as GCSE ICT is scanned anyway so computers are replacing human examiners.

They only mark poorly because they have too much marking to do and therfore mark poorly.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's an excellent idea. Indian standards of education are far higher than here, so it makes sense to send the papers abroad for marking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    It's not the same as BT Call Centres, where Indian people call up your house and DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU! (sorry, I just hate that)
    People say that, but when i phoned up for my BT internet help, they sorted out the problem alot more efficiently and quickly than BT technicians from the UK did. With exams, the people who mark them over there will probably be more qualified due to the fact that there are lots of high class graduates and not enough jobs, so you can get the best people. Plus arent all exam papers checked over twice, reducing the chance of error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    People say that, but when i phoned up for my BT internet help, they sorted out the problem alot more efficiently and quickly than BT technicians from the UK did. With exams, the people who mark them over there will probably be more qualified due to the fact that there are lots of high class graduates and not enough jobs, so you can get the best people. Plus arent all exam papers checked over twice, reducing the chance of error.
    Well said! And I know that a lot of Indians would be able to speak English fluently, but lots of the ones that call my house can't. Argh! :rolleyes:

It the education system in India actually of a higher quality than here?

ReputationRep:
    Why did they delete my post??

ReputationRep:
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    They'll probably all go missing.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it sounded hilarious,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    There scanned and e-mailed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langleyster)
    There scanned and e-mailed!
    Ah!

The computer's will probably crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    Maybe if edexcel take up the idea

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a new idea. Last year, my AS papers were scanned electronically and sent off all over the place for marking. Edexcel and AQA's marking can't get any worse than it is over here, I daresay it'll be done more thoroughly over there. You do realise the papers are still going to be marked by people who a. can speak English extremely well b. understand the subject. It's not like they're just being sent off to some random Indian people!

ReputationRep:
    The languages I understand, not too usre about history though.
    Even so, its an issue of human rights, they should not be paying those people less than a British marker.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that education standards are higher in India just because of the massive competition, and the huge numbers of applicants to universities. So the bar is much higher.

I think we are forgetting: it's still an improvement on EdExcel.

(Original post by langleyster)
    Yes, you did read the title correct : GCSE exam papers will be sent to India for marking!!!

AQA are scanning and e-mailing exam papers to India for marking as it is cheaper there!

They are sending History, French, German, and Italian papers.

Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

What do people think?
    quite frankly im disguted :mad:

(Original post by Kard)
    I believe that education standards are higher in India just because of the massive competition, and the huge numbers of applicants to universities. So the bar is much higher.
    hahahahaaha education standards are higher!! dont be silly! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    how many people did exams that just required one word answers??

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.