GCSE exam papers will be sent to India for marking!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
scaredashell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think edexcel are doin it as well, they r definately scanning the papers now, thats why there are black dashes on the bottom of the papers. Make sure you dont write over the dotted lines and if you do have to, get extra paper because if you write over the lines and in the extra space around the page it doesnt get scanned and the examiners have to request the hard copy.....and how many do u thin will b doing that! :confused:
Kard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well it is higher. What is the average passmark for A Level here, like 60%, if not less than that. To pass the Indian equivalent you'd need at least 90%, if not 95%...anything less and you wouldn't have any chance against the competition.
dave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jelkin)
Considering the shocking quality of the marking over here, how could it get much worse??? I think it's actually quite a good idea, provided that the Indian examiners know what they're doing
........and assuming they weren't trained by..........oh well.
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i have enough hassle with the 3 call centre being in india... when half the people don't speak english.
langleyster
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I have that with AOL!
kidney thief
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
whats the huge deal? no has actually said what is wrong with this...
CharXlotte
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was my paper. Besides, if all the papers are scanned off, then they will all get marked by the same standards. You're all in the same boat either way..
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Does no one ever bother to search for any official proof for claims like these?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/eassessment_faq.html#faq2
papers are marked only by UK examiners.
lats
Report 13 years ago
i feel sorry for people taking their GCSE papers.. i lived and studied in india for 3 years (aged 10-13) and omg were the teachers strict when it came to marking papers?!? in english language test(i.e. not important..) they used to take off 1/2 a mark for every punctuation and spelling mistake thats a lot for a 50 mark paper!! hopefully they'll read the answer spec and mark fairly..
kidda_puttar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Firstly, if you actually read the AQA press release, the exam papers are only being KEYED IN (i.e. transcripted) in India, not marked.

Secondly, why does everyone think Indians are stupid? I think people fail to notice that Indians are the second most intelligent race in this country (having just been surpassed by the Chinese). Education in India is VERY TOUGH and the standards are HUGELY higher....I would never ever like to study in India. Do you know how hard it is to gain a uni place there? Do you know the level of study there? Does anybody actually want to compare the two countries' teaching and achievement standards? When people (that means you Flukey) say that Indian education is lower/crapper than the UK, they are MOST DEFINATELY wrong.

Quite frankly, the arrogant and seemingly racist attitude of many TSR members angers me! :mad:
anjimcflanji
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's not the standard of marking i'd be worried about but the fact that last year (combination of the jan and summer sittings) 5000 papers were lost and another 3/4000 were damaged/not marked properly so then had to be remarked here. I think sending them away isn't silly as long as those marking have an excellent idea of english as in exams i know my spelling/punctuation/ability to write goes to pot. this year my a2 economics will be scanned in and sent to examiners but i feel it's rather unfair of them if they have to sit at a computer to mark these for hours on end. futhermore they have to finish marking 5 before they get sent the next 5 so cannot put those aside that need more attention and carry on. many examiners have been lost by this process as they do not have the latest windows required or they have apples so it just won't work. surely a tired grumpy examiner will mark down???
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads