Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think the title of the thread says it all, but lets say it again :P Lets say someone has got an AAA conditional offer, if that applicant gets AAB is there a chance that he would still be accepted or not? I know this can happen with other unis but I was wondering if Cam can be 'flexible' as well.

ReputationRep:
    there's a small chance yeah

ReputationRep:
    if you're wondering for yourself, then you should go and revise

i got an unconditional, but i'd try my best to make the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slashkash)
    I think the title of the thread says it all, but lets say it again :P Lets say someone has got an AAA conditional offer, if that applicant gets AAB is there a chance that he would still be accepted or not? I know this can happen with other unis but I was wondering if Cam can be 'flexible' as well.
    It happens but as far as I know is more unlikely at Cam - they stay head of league tables partly by average a-level points of applicants, and they don't really like that coming down. Ditto for individual colleges within the uni obv

Go revise!
    :eek: Hang on! That's what I should be doing!!

ZarathustraX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    if you're wondering for yourself, then you should go and revise

No, I was wondering in general actually, I think my exams are going well :p:

I AM revising by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got AAB with an AAA offer, and I'm here, but then I had another A in a subject they hadn't asked for, and an AEA. So i'm not sure really. I think it's quite rare that they let people in who drop a grade because so many people make their grades now that they just don't have space. :/

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges make more offers than they have places as they know that a few people will always fail to achieve their conditional offer. You would be very lucky if you didn't make your offer and was still accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam19)
    Most colleges make more offers than they have places as they know that a few people will always fail to achieve their conditional offer. You would be very lucky if you didn't make your offer and was still accepted.
    bugger, fearing i might be one of those!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the college, on how many offers they've made that year and on how everyone else does. You might be lucky; you might not

ReputationRep:
    I know people who haven't made their offers an have been accepted. And as far as I know they generally don't oversuscribe courses that much, though it depends what course you apply for (with smaller courses they don't over subscribe usually) and obviously whether many others have failed to meet their offers too. Plus sometimes colleges decide to take extra people to get more cash from the university.
    There are a number of factors really- like most things :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i think is more likely at oxbridge than at other top unis, but still not that likely

ReputationRep:
    It depends on different colleges, but it usually comes down to individual tutors and the notes and impression they have of you in interview. If they really want you to come anyway then they will be flexible, although I think there are probably limits to what they are willing to forgive in terms of dropped grades. I have *heard* that in the sciences a larger proportion of people get open offers and so tutors have less scope to be flexible.

ReputationRep:
    Do they do open offers at Cambridge? I thought it was just Oxford. Meh, I'm stoopid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    Do they do open offers at Cambridge? I thought it was just Oxford. Meh, I'm stoopid.
    i've never heard of a cam open offer....

ReputationRep:
    i think they do EE sometimes but it's very rare.

i think probably they can't oversubscribe the smaller courses because an extra five in a class of 25 is quite large (eg history of art) but for something like natsci it wouldn't be a problem. in fact i think they maybe did oversubscribe this year because there are never enough seats in the chem lecture theatre (altho maybe it's just that more people chose chem than they expected)

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on how everyone else did and whether they had more places than they were expecting, ie more people than they expected turned down their offer. There is a chance, especially if the B was in an unrelated subject, and it might help you if you had high UMS marks and/or an AEA, but as with other universities, it's not that likely. Be prepared to ring them up on results day and plead your case if necessary!

ReputationRep:
    It does happen occasionally that they'll let a grade slip - on this board I got AABB when my offer was AAA, Fishpaste missed a step grade and blissy missed hers too and we're all here now. On the other hand it eally does jus depend on how hard the DoS will fight for you, how many other people missed their grades and how much spare accomodation there is. It's much better to make the grade if possible as that way Cambridge will be legally obliged to take you.

MB

ReputationRep:
    how about overseas students, as there is an IELTS test, does anyone know wat happen if they couldnt get grade required be4 Aug 15th?

ReputationRep:
    How the hell did you get an unconditional offer to Cambridge? Bribes??

ReputationRep:
    = post A Level applicant or 'EE' offer...

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.