Where could a criminology degree get me? Watch

Sami2412
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I LOVE everything about law and criminology, i really do have a passion for it, i'm taking a year out at the moment to decide what i actually want to do. The thing is i only got BCC at a-level so its not likely that I'm going to be able to study LLB Law.

My question is really, if i chose Criminology instead of Law, what kind of jobs would become open to me? Thanks everyone
JCM89
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
Why not apply to BPP Law school for their new LLB. Alternatively, do the Open University law degree. If you want to do law but take a criminology degree you would still have to do a conversion course.

A criminology degree doesn't qualify you to do anything specfic, however the jobs open to you with a criminology degree would be the same as with a lot of degrees as 70% of graduate jobs don't require a specific degree subject.
londonboym
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got BCD and i'm studying llb law. (portsmouth: although they put their requirements to AAB)

get onto the criminology course, then about a week in say that you're not enjoying it and get transferred to law. They'll most likely let you.
Sami2412
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonboym)
I got BCD and i'm studying llb law. (portsmouth: although they put their requirements to AAB)

get onto the criminology course, then about a week in say that you're not enjoying it and get transferred to law. They'll most likely let you.
wow, really? thats cool
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Prison.
londonboym
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sami2412)
wow, really? thats cool
Yup. I did get B for law at A level though. might have helped.
Sami2412
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonboym)
Yup. I did get B for law at A level though. might have helped.
Yeahh me too
iheartlaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I LOVE everything about law and criminology, i really do have a passion for it, i'm taking a year out at the moment to decide what i actually want to do. The thing is i only got BCC at a-level so its not likely that I'm going to be able to study LLB Law.

My question is really, if i chose Criminology instead of Law, what kind of jobs would become open to me? Thanks everyone
Hi there,

Jobs with criminology - academic, go into researching, police etc

You could do the GDL and then do law.

I'm currently studying law and within my degree (LLB M100) choose to do an option in criminology (and got a 1st!). It may be an option that would interest you as you wouldn't have to decide between law and criminology. Criminology, however, will only be 1 out of my 12 modules for the entire degree.

Good luck with your decesion. If you have any queries PM me
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's nothing to say you have to have what uni's are asking - my mates studiying at hull with BBC even though requirements are ABB

I suggest having a look at some places you like for law with criminology dual honours and emailing the admissions tutors to see if they would consider you - I'm pretty sure Hull would
Sami2412
Rep:
?
(Original post by iheartlaw)
Hi there,

Jobs with criminology - academic, go into researching, police etc

You could do the GDL and then do law.

I'm currently studying law and within my degree (LLB M100) choose to do an option in criminology (and got a 1st!). It may be an option that would interest you as you wouldn't have to decide between law and criminology. Criminology, however, will only be 1 out of my 12 modules for the entire degree.

Good luck with your decesion. If you have any queries PM me
I do think that i want to do law but im not sure i have the grades

(Original post by The_Goose)
There's nothing to say you have to have what uni's are asking - my mates studiying at hull with BBC even though requirements are ABB

I suggest having a look at some places you like for law with criminology dual honours and emailing the admissions tutors to see if they would consider you - I'm pretty sure Hull would
and wow really? so should i just email a few course tutors before applying? i never thought of doing that tbh, thats great advice, thanks
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I do think that i want to do law but im not sure i have the grades

and wow really? so should i just email a few course tutors before applying? i never thought of doing that tbh, thats great advice, thanks
at the end of the day universities make conditional offers to people who do not yet have their grades and we all know that some universities are stricter than others on whether or not they demand the exact requirements - I can't speak for anywhere else but i know that you can go to hull without ABB, as I've already said - there's alot of emphasis on widening access at Hull and also most of the staff don't think that your performance at A-level is an accurate indicator of how you'll perform at degree level because the structure is totally different and so on and so forth - so i would look at some courses that you like the look of and email some people - what's the worst that can happen? Go on some open days, come see us at Hull =)
Sami2412
Rep:
?
at the end of the day universities make conditional offers to people who do not yet have their grades and we all know that some universities are stricter than others on whether or not they demand the exact requirements - I can't speak for anywhere else but i know that you can go to hull without ABB, as I've already said - there's alot of emphasis on widening access at Hull and also most of the staff don't think that your performance at A-level is an accurate indicator of how you'll perform at degree level because the structure is totally different and so on and so forth - so i would look at some courses that you like the look of and email some people - what's the worst that can happen? Go on some open days, come see us at Hull =)
I think i may do that thankkkksss
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think i may do that thankkkksss
if you do decide to visit let me know in advance and I'l make myself available if you want =)
Sami2412
Rep:
?
if you do decide to visit let me know in advance and I'l make myself available if you want =)
thats really nice of you!! thankyou, and if i can get time off work then i'll be sure to come and i'll let you know! xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads