Declaring AEA Maths/STEP Watch

i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm wondering whether you have to declare that you will be sitting AEA Maths and/or STEP papers in June in the Education section of the UCAS form.

Because I don't know if I will need to sit them, as after lengthy arguments with the Imperial Admissions Secretary, they simply refuse to say whether all applicants need to sit them, and which one they need to sit (which I find outrageous), so her advice was 'apply and you'll see'.

As such, I do not want to declare that I will be sitting them on my UCAS form since I may well not be (e.g. if I get rejected, none of my other courses require them), but will it cause a problem that I am not declaring them for that course?
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your choices are:
Put them in the pending result bit, then your school will have to give you a predicted grade - not an easy thing to do for anyone.
Mention that you might do one or other in your PS. This does not hold you to anything. If universities require a grade in one of them, this decision will not be affected by whether you have decided to do them (the wording on Warwick's website says this quite nicely).
Don't mention them at all - but that doesn't mean that you won't get asked to do them - see above.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
You don't have to put them in. The only difference is that if you do put them in, you'll have to sit them. If you don't put them in, you'll only have to sit them if you're required to do so by an offer.
Swayum
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't have to put them on UCAS (I don't think most people do), you don't have to mention them on your PS and you can still get AEA/STEP offers + meet those offers.
i.am.lost
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
You don't have to put them in. The only difference is that if you do put them in, you'll have to sit them. If you don't put them in, you'll only have to sit them if you're required to do so by an offer.
Cool, because after talking to current Computing students @ Imperial on TSR, some were asked to sit AEA, some did STEP, and others were not asked for any. So I guess I won't put them in, but obviously will do them if they form part of my conditional offer (they ask for a Merit or Distinction in AEA and/or a Grade 1 or Grade 2 in one STEP paper so it should be do-able anyway)

Thanks for the advice
Exo-Politician
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't put them on my UCAS, as I wasn't sure if I'd have to sit them. It also makes it pretty obvious that you're applying to Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial and I wasn't sure whether other universities might be a bit wary of 'wasting' an offer on me if I wasn't going to pick them as firm anyway. Not at all sure whether it would have altered their decisions, but I got my offers back (and still had to sit them both lol). Up to you, I'd say- if you can see a benefit to putting them on, put them on!
vik101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
STEP would only be asked very very rarely in maths and Compsci course at Imperial. Straight Computing normally asks for A grades and maybe a Merit in AEA. Dont stress out, your qualifications alone will probably get you an offer.
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For 2010 Computing at Inperial are asking for an A* in Maths.
Echolife
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Though by putting them in it shows your interest in the subject if you want to push yourself further.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Exo-Politician)
[Declaring STEP/AEA] also makes it pretty obvious that you're applying to Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial and I wasn't sure whether other universities might be a bit wary of 'wasting' an offer on me if I wasn't going to pick them as firm anyway.
If you're a strong mathematician, it's quite likely that you'll be applying to at least one of these any way. Whether you declare STEP or not isn't really relevant. People make the same fuss about applying to universities before the Oxbridge deadline of 15th October: in reality, the admissions tutor at University of Wherever is not going to reject a strong applicant because he has reason to believe that Wherever is not an applicant's preferred choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads