This discussion is closed.
AlanD1993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I'm wondering what the chances of getting into uni to study mechanical engineering are if I gain my HNC in marine engineering? Does anybody know? And could I skip to year 3 of an honours degree?
azzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AlanD1993)
Hi, I'm wondering what the chances of getting into uni to study mechanical engineering are if I gain my HNC in marine engineering? Does anybody know? And could I skip to year 3 of an honours degree?

hi

yeah u can go to uni but with an hnc u will only get into at 1st year at some unis depending on experiance eg what highers you have but some unis will let u in to second year if u obtain a hnc A
But a HNC B will be good enough for a first year entry

in my case i got a HNC C and the "good " unis wouldnt accept me so a just stayed on at bell college (greatest lecturers ever ) did my HND and got a C in my project,agian most unis will let you in 2nd year with a hnd but some will let you in to third a was let into third last year am now at herriot watt goin into 4th

can a just say though in some classes in third year a found it increadbly hard as they were teaching using methods shown in first year at that uni whereas at college its the simpler method

althou on the flip side there were some module in third year we did at hnc level that most folk had not done aswell

:woo: :eek3:
AlanD1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by azzi)
hi

yeah u can go to uni but with an hnc u will only get into at 1st year at some unis depending on experiance eg what highers you have but some unis will let u in to second year if u obtain a hnc A
But a HNC B will be good enough for a first year entry

in my case i got a HNC C and the "good " unis wouldnt accept me so a just stayed on at bell college (greatest lecturers ever ) did my HND and got a C in my project,agian most unis will let you in 2nd year with a hnd but some will let you in to third a was let into third last year am now at herriot watt goin into 4th

can a just say though in some classes in third year a found it increadbly hard as they were teaching using methods shown in first year at that uni whereas at college its the simpler method

althou on the flip side there were some module in third year we did at hnc level that most folk had not done aswell

:woo: :eek3:
cheers pal, I actually work in the Merchant Navy and the college I go to has a partnership wi Glasgow Caledonian so that anyone getting a HNC/D in marine engineering can go direct into year 3/4 of an honours in mechanical or electrical engineering. thanks for the info though.
azzi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AlanD1993)
cheers pal, I actually work in the Merchant Navy and the college I go to has a partnership wi Glasgow Caledonian so that anyone getting a HNC/D in marine engineering can go direct into year 3/4 of an honours in mechanical or electrical engineering. thanks for the info though.

yeah no bother

but as a said everyone is looked at indiviualy

but good luck
AlanD1993
Rep:
?
(Original post by azzi)
yeah no bother

but as a said everyone is looked at indiviualy

but good luck
cheers pal, so what type of engineering do ye study?
azzi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
am doing electrical and electronc engiennering at herriot watt in edin

its ok just more theory based than a thought it would be

also youre more likely to get into 4th year than a was beacuase you have experiance
Mitchell02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was wondering the same but with a different course, if i do HNC or HND mechanical engineering will i be able to go into aeronautical engineering at Glasgow University?
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mitchell02)
I was wondering the same but with a different course, if i do HNC or HND mechanical engineering will i be able to go into aeronautical engineering at Glasgow University?
This thread is 9 years old. The advice might have changed a bit. Start a new thread, don't resurrect long dead ones.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.76%
No (108)
32.24%

Watched Threads