The ''Nothing to hide'' argument and its contrapositive Watch

rowzee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Consider the statement: "If you're innocent, you've got nothing to hide'' brought up in many discussions involving a sacrifice of privacy for an increase in security.

Let A=\{\text {event of being guilty (legally)}\} and
let B=\{\text {event of having nothing to hide}\}

Then the original statement can be expressed as

\neg A \Rightarrow B

Suppose this statement is true (for the purposes of the debater employing it, it must be) and consider it's contrapositive:

\neg B \Rightarrow \neg(\neg A)\\

\Leftrightarrow \neg B \Rightarrow A

In other words: ''If you've got something to hide, you're guilty.

Hence, in order to falsify the original statement, we've got to invalidate this contrapositive which seems almost trivial to do (though I cannot claim any knowledge of Law).

Any comments appreciated.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
I think "nothing to hide" here would refer more to "no illegal activity to hide", in which case "not having no illegal activity to hide" = "having illegal activity to hide", indicating that the person would indeed be guilty of something. Obviously people want their privacy and probably do have things to hide, but they're not necessarily illegal.

Nice way of looking at it though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads