Student Finance Dilemma! Watch

memenme_1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Well we will all be starting with university in a weeks time. But my student finance is still in process. It is worrying me now because i still havent registered on the university system and i fear that i would not be able to attend the lectures or anything. My question is, if i just register, by adding in all my personal details and everything while leaving out the financial bit, would i still be able to register and get my student card as my student finance application is in process? I dont know how long it will take for them to process it and i havent recieved any letter from them which i can show to prove that i will be getting my student loan.
Celine_Dion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Phone student services at Manchester. This is a common problem thats all over the news at the minute so Manchester will have some sought of plan in place. No doubt they'll be find and you just register and attend lessons as normal.
memenme_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Celine_Dion)
Phone student services at Manchester. This is a common problem thats all over the news at the minute so Manchester will have some sought of plan in place. No doubt they'll be find and you just register and attend lessons as normal.
Right i will try that on monday! Thanks
Hanno_90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by memenme_1)
Well we will all be starting with university in a weeks time. But my student finance is still in process. It is worrying me now because i still havent registered on the university system and i fear that i would not be able to attend the lectures or anything. My question is, if i just register, by adding in all my personal details and everything while leaving out the financial bit, would i still be able to register and get my student card as my student finance application is in process? I dont know how long it will take for them to process it and i havent recieved any letter from them which i can show to prove that i will be getting my student loan.
Arghhh! Im in exactlyyyy the same position . Im sure it will all be fine, I dont think we'll be the only ones tbh!
DailyBilge
Report 9 years ago
Your not, im the same.

I phoned student services (as advised) The very cheerful sounding (as if) lady at the end of the phone said if I just register as far as I can (as mentioned before) then just wait for the student finance to stop fannying around, they will do the rest, so register as far as you can and it will be fine
memenme_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by DailyBilge)
Your not, im the same.

I phoned student services (as advised) The very cheerful sounding (as if) lady at the end of the phone said if I just register as far as I can (as mentioned before) then just wait for the student finance to stop fannying around, they will do the rest, so register as far as you can and it will be fine
So will you still be able to get the student card?
Celine_Dion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So will you still be able to get the student card?
I'm not sure, you normally only get your student card when you are fully registered. BUT, since this is happening up and down the country because of student finances incompetence i bet they'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give you the card.

enjoy the 5hour queue when you go :woo:
n0c0ntr0l
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm gonna call up tomorrow cause I got the same issue!
Rhys~
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was denied finance because apparently im not a UK citizen, strange seeing as ive lived here for 17 years and sent them my british passport as evidence... Now they just keep telling to call back because there looking into it.
Hanno_90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rhys~)
I was denied finance because apparently im not a UK citizen, strange seeing as ive lived here for 17 years and sent them my british passport as evidence... Now they just keep telling to call back because there looking into it.
Haha! They're ridiculoussssssss... They wrote to me asking for my address which was clearly on my application only about 5 times. And now I still don't have anything through! Im so annoyed, don't really know what to do about it!
memenme_1
Rep:
?
I OFFICIALLY HATE STUDENT FINANCE!!! .....Today, i spoke to student finance and NOW they want me to RE-SEND Income-based evidence from my parents, plus a couple of forms to further assess my application and well it is going to take TIME!....i mean is this a joke!? university will be starting in a weeks time, and i dont have ANYTHING to show to university regarding this!? what should i do? i m helpless and stress now!!!!!
evian90
Report 9 years ago
what number did you call at? cos i cant even get thru???! help please cos the website is absulute ********! i sent all my documents 3 months ago and been back from holiday! no progress and now cant even get hold of them!
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I OFFICIALLY HATE STUDENT FINANCE!!! .....Today, i spoke to student finance and NOW they want me to RE-SEND Income-based evidence from my parents, plus a couple of forms to further assess my application and well it is going to take TIME!....i mean is this a joke!? university will be starting in a weeks time, and i dont have ANYTHING to show to university regarding this!? what should i do? i m helpless and stress now!!!!!

First of all, try not to panic, there are thousands of people up and down the country who are having trouble with Student Finance due to the backlog, you are not alone. Call Manchester tomorrow morning, and talk to the Registration helpline. I know they only deal with direct queries about registration itself, but they might put you through to a department to allow you to apply for an Emergency Bridging loan provided by the university itself- if you won't be receiving your funds within the first couple of weeks of term. This should cover the cost of the first few weeks. Accommodation, if you are in halls of residence, won't need to be paid until the end of October- and hopefully you should have your funds by then. But do talk to the unviersity about it- they will be able to advise you
evian90
Report 9 years ago

whats the no u called?
memenme_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fillette)
First of all, try not to panic, there are thousands of people up and down the country who are having trouble with Student Finance due to the backlog, you are not alone. Call Manchester tomorrow morning, and talk to the Registration helpline. I know they only deal with direct queries about registration itself, but they might put you through to a department to allow you to apply for an Emergency Bridging loan provided by the university itself- if you won't be receiving your funds within the first couple of weeks of term. This should cover the cost of the first few weeks. Accommodation, if you are in halls of residence, won't need to be paid until the end of October- and hopefully you should have your funds by then. But do talk to the unviersity about it- they will be able to advise you
Well my only worry now is paying that tuition fees! would they allow more time until my student finance gets sorted? I wont be living at accomodation (living at home) so tuition fees right now is really stressing me out!!! I am yet to register onto the student system too....ANy advice?
memenme_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by evian90)
whats the no u called?
Oh it was the one provided on their website....BUT...at 8:30 am in the morning!!!.......
Fillette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well my only worry now is paying that tuition fees! would they allow more time until my student finance gets sorted? I wont be living at accomodation (living at home) so tuition fees right now is really stressing me out!!! I am yet to register onto the student system too....ANy advice?

The answer is yes, they should- but you must call the helpline and explain your situation. From the finance information off the Manchester website: "The University has an Access to Learning Fund that helps students who are in financial difficulty. Any registered UK student can apply.

Every year more than two thousand students at The University of Manchester are helped with grants made from this fund."
Celine_Dion
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The answer is yes, they should- but you must call the helpline and explain your situation. From the finance information off the Manchester website: "The University has an Access to Learning Fund that helps students who are in financial difficulty. Any registered UK student can apply.

Every year more than two thousand students at The University of Manchester are helped with grants made from this fund."
Access to Learning Fund has closed and won't open for applications till October 3rd. You just best off getting in touch with the uni who will have contingency plans in place but the ALF is not a option unless you can survive untill october.
memenme_1
Rep:
?

Right....well i have emailed the student services but i will call them tomorrow! i hope it gets sorted! ......i was all excited last week but now......
Hanno_90
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Right....well i have emailed the student services but i will call them tomorrow! i hope it gets sorted! ......i was all excited last week but now......
Hey! Im sorry but was wondering if you could please give me the number you called? And was it helpful?!
Im in exactly the same position, they wrote to me about 10 days ago asking me to re-send evidence - which I did :mad: and now my application still says awaiting evidence (online), cant get in touch with them on the phone and it just seems like I wont be getting anything for a good while... So stressful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Manchester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads