Business studies in a year! Watch

Terrorfication
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, im startin yr 11 and I am beginning to self study AQA B Spec Business studies (without coursework) gcse. I am aiming for no less than an A* in it as i have heard it is a relativly easy subject that can easily be covered in a year.

So if you have any tips on what I can do to get started for example; what books to buy? how long to study? what to study? grade boundaries (A*)? or anything else you know about business studies gcse would be of a massive help.

I have heard the A* boundary is 68%, is this true? Any exam tips would also be helpful and a broad overview of what the course entails would also help. My school does not offer it but i was always interested in it and that is why i am self studying it as a private candidate.

safe
JoeTSR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt the A* boundary is 68%, but yes, I would say it's fairly easy, going by the bbc bitesize questions.
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Terrorfication)
Hi, im startin yr 11 and I am beginning to self study AQA B Spec Business studies (without coursework) gcse. I am aiming for no less than an A* in it as i have heard it is a relativly easy subject that can easily be covered in a year.

So if you have any tips on what I can do to get started for example; what books to buy? how long to study? what to study? grade boundaries (A*)? or anything else you know about business studies gcse would be of a massive help.

I have heard the A* boundary is 68%, is this true? Any exam tips would also be helpful and a broad overview of what the course entails would also help. My school does not offer it but i was always interested in it and that is why i am self studying it as a private candidate.

safe

It has to be said, it is a relatively 'mild' GCSE. I'm not too sure on books, but I'm sure a bog-standard GCSE revision guide will suffice. I would advise to spend around an hour reading a topic and making notes. afaik, there is not much theory (apart from Mazlow, Herzberg) but there are a few formulas you'll need to get your head around - but it's nothing difficult.

I'm not too sure if the boundary for A* is 68%, however, I do know it isn't that high. Exam tips would be to relate to your case study (assuming you'll have one). DO NOT GO ON A TANGENT! If it asks you how xyz will have an affect on A-Business PLC, then answer that.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but Business Studies isn't really 'Business Studies'. It's more common sense with a little maths thrown in. If you're determined to sit the spec, I would advise you download the course structure/syllabus and work through it with your revision guide or Business Studies Online (Google it).
Terrorfication
Rep:
?
(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
It has to be said, it is a relatively 'mild' GCSE. I'm not too sure on books, but I'm sure a bog-standard GCSE revision guide will suffice. I would advise to spend around an hour reading a topic and making notes. afaik, there is not much theory (apart from Mazlow, Herzberg) but there are a few formulas you'll need to get your head around - but it's nothing difficult.

I'm not too sure if the boundary for A* is 68%, however, I do know it isn't that high. Exam tips would be to relate to your case study (assuming you'll have one). DO NOT GO ON A TANGENT! If it asks you how xyz will have an affect on A-Business PLC, then answer that.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but Business Studies isn't really 'Business Studies'. It's more common sense with a little maths thrown in. If you're determined to sit the spec, I would advise you download the course structure/syllabus and work through it with your revision guide or Business Studies Online (Google it).
wat u mean, dont waffle on my case study? what is meant by do not go on a tangent, sorry?
geography-junkie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There isnt a B Spec for the new GCSEs?
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
wat u mean, dont waffle on my case study? what is meant by do not go on a tangent, sorry?
Yes. By tangent, I mean don't waffle.

If the question is something like; 'How will recent changes in climate change and the Governments approach to tackle this affect A-Business PLC'.

I advise you to answer with how it will affect the company in the case study. Don't tell the examiner what climate change is; they don't want to know, because they will already know. Instead, focus your time on informing how exactly the business contributes to climate change, what it can do tackle the problem; what are the consequences (to the business) if it doesn't..
Terrorfication
Rep:
?
(Original post by geography-junkie)
There isnt a B Spec for the new GCSEs?
well im taking my gcses in june 2010, and the new spec was for first teaching in 2009 therefore the new spec will first be examined in 2011 by assuming it is taught over a two year period. i am not completely sure about it though.
geography-junkie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well im taking my gcses in june 2010, and the new spec was for first teaching in 2009 therefore the new spec will first be examined in 2011 by assuming it is taught over a two year period. i am not completely sure about it though.
Why not go for the A Level then which was for first teaching in 2008? You don't need GCSE Business Studies to study it at A Level.
Terrorfication
Rep:
?
(Original post by geography-junkie)
Why not go for the A Level then which was for first teaching in 2008? You don't need GCSE Business Studies to study it at A Level.
i dont mind doing the extra work and plus its an easy A*, **** is so competitive these days i need as many doss subjects to beef my application up. its stupid but it works
geography-junkie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i dont mind doing the extra work and plus its an easy A*, **** is so competitive these days i need as many doss subjects to beef my application up. its stupid but it works
Yeah i know lol, and plus GCSEs dont go towards your uni application really, just the A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads