The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So what if you have less burgalries? Your country is still **** when it comes to human rights.
how can someone fail to copy and paste stats over, we are not 2nd we are 3rd, germany fall before us, and saudi arabia have 14 not 11

plus i take these are reported cases, we are more likely to report a case, you need to report a case for a crime number for insurance stuff, to be fair that just one crime stats, and well we may not come out the best in most of them, which is poor we can all agree to, but still we live in a country and accepted women and those that are gay as equals, and we still have freedom of speech and the press
Reply 22
steed999
oh so you say its barbaric to punsih the crimminal, but for a victim with no insurance and livelyhood ruined its ok?

Our problem isn't lack of a Government deterrent. It is lack of a private deterrent. In modern Britain we are not allowed to defend our homes or our families. I would never stand for the Government having the power to mutilate or kill. The deterrent should be a population of citizens who are able and willing to defend themselves from crime. That would be more of a deterrent than the state could ever provide.
Reply 23
FAILINGKID
well when i lived in dubai... i would usually leave my door open... no one would dare to steal because if they get caught.. they get deported if they are a foreigner... and locals don't steal because they are rich as ****

Yes, the state where they import cheap labour from the indian subcontinent, give them virtually no rights at all, life in tents in the desert in 50 degree heat in the summer. Steal their passports, treat foreigners like dirt.

Hate the emirates.
_ChaRisMa_
When you get mugged, burgled or stabbed, you surely will be singing a different tune. I recall reading a story of a Burglar being confronted and stabbed to death by the tenant that had been repeatedly burgled, yet he served time for it.

I am interested in reading the responses of those millions that have experienced violent burglaries, muggings, stabbing, thefts etc

Don't assume you know anything about me.

I have been mugged, actually, and still I wouldn't advocate cutting off their hands.
Reply 25
maybe it's because people like their hands in saudi arabia.
Reply 26
Has anyone considered that theres nothing worth stealing in Saudi Arabia?
Reply 27
Saudi Arabia is a horrifically backwards country. It's not even worth comparing to the UK
Reply 28
_ChaRisMa_
The denial here is astonishing. When the call for prayer comes, jewelery shops and all others are left open by the shop-keepers so they could attend the prayers. Living in a society with close to 1million burglaries and daily deaths, I can see why your struggling to comprehend this.

Oh well, I guess I can live with getting burgled if it measn I can live in a democratic, pluralistic society, rather than one where women are banned from driving..

I feel physically sick when I see those fat, kleptocratic saudi members of the royal family on television. Scum
Reply 29
Ths might be because of the little old issue that if you're guilty of theft, they chop your hands and then douse them in hot oil.

Crime doesn't pay folks. (not in Saudi Arabia anyway)
Reply 30
There are less burglars because they have all either had their hands chopped off, or they know that if they do burgle they'll get their hands chopped off!!
Saudi Arabia is a barbaric country with awful human rights - I'd be pretty hard pushed to find a country I'd less rather live in to be honest.
_ChaRisMa_
I been here for 2years. I have never seen someone with an amputated hand. I rather have Barbaric punishment as a deterrent, then Human-right laws that protects the criminals.

You know, I think there's a statement which goes "Everyone is in favour of the death penalty until it's their turn to face it" which would apply very well here...
sulpicia
Yes, the state where they import cheap labour from the indian subcontinent, give them virtually no rights at all, life in tents in the desert in 50 degree heat in the summer. Steal their passports, treat foreigners like dirt.

Hate the emirates.

i wasn't talking about labour... i was talking like me being a foreigner their... i lived my whole life their.. its a very good country.. what the **** are u on about?? yeah cheap labour so what... no they don't steal their passports and they don't abuse them... almost everything for labour workers there is free... free water bottles.. free food (4 meals a day) and good pay compared to working in their own country and accomodation is included.. and they live in apartements and not tents... 6 or 5 people share an apartements (a very decent one)

why the **** would they live in the desert when they are builders... they live near the building they are working on....

some of them however committed suicide before because they hated the work... they all have the option to go back to their country but there is no money in their country so they are stuck with this job...

don't ******* tell me that the emirates is a **** place when u don't know **** about it and the media is feeding u all these lies...
Cutting the hands of thieves obviously leads to less burglary, but maybe evolution will develop those caught thieves into stealing with their feet, that would be pretty impressive footwork.
I'm sorry but a lot of crimes go unreported in Saudi Arabia esp crimes against women.
Reply 35
_ChaRisMa_
Per Year

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur-crime-burglaries

#1 United States: 2,099,700
#2 United Kingdom: 836,027

#3 Australia: 436,865
#4 South Africa: 394,557
#5 France: 370,993
#6 Poland: 364,786
#7 Japan: 296,486
#8 Canada: 293,416
#9 Mexico: 139,679
#10 India: 111,296
#11 Denmark: 99,568
#12 Netherlands: 91,146
#13 Finland: 87,588
#14 Czech Republic: 74,231
#15 Hungary: 71,635
#16 New Zealand: 65,675
#17 Switzerland: 60,384
#18 Zimbabwe: 55,280
#19 Portugal: 47,328
#20 Bulgaria: 39,455
#21 Malaysia: 32,913
#22 Belarus: 32,313
#23 Slovakia: 25,517
#24 Spain: 23,856
#25 Estonia: 23,271
#26 Chile: 23,065
#27 Ireland: 23,042
#28 Romania: 21,322
#29 Slovenia: 15,962
#30 Greece: 15,899
#31 Colombia: 13,375
#32 Thailand: 13,222
#33 Sri Lanka: 12,666
#34 Latvia: 9,871
#35 Zambia: 9,866
#36 Lithuania: 9,203
#37 Hong Kong: 8,969
#38 Tunisia: 7,680
#39 Uruguay: 5,587
#40 Norway: 5,297
#41 Moldova: 3,984
#42 Korea, South: 3,027
#43 Papua New Guinea: 2,618
#44 Jamaica: 2,426
#45 Iceland: 2,407
#46 Georgia: 1,885
#47 Mauritius: 1,584
#48 Dominica: 1,297
#49 Qatar: 300
#50 Seychelles: 227
#51 Yemen: 110
#52 Armenia: 92
#53 Montserrat: 77
#54 Saudi Arabia: 11

Compare 11 to 836,027

And they say the Saudis are primitive and Barbaric :rolleyes:

no one wants your ****** caveman laws

kthxbye
Reply 36
pasargad
Being a Democracy doesn't automatically make your burglary rates low, for example, i would assume that the burglary rates in North Korea are 0. The reason why Saudi Arabia is so low on the list is because they amputate the arms of theives.

By your logic, places with capital punishment should have less crime which result in capital punishment then those which serve them to jail. Yet, that isn't the case.
Reply 37
starsdream2
I'm sorry but a lot of crimes go unreported in Saudi Arabia esp crimes against women.

Like any country :rolleyes:

I don't know why people find it hard that different places will have different crime rates - and it is not only because they will chop off your hands. In England, many areas are sometimes 10 fold more crime dense, then others.
Reply 38
ma2k5
By your logic, places with capital punishment should have less crime which result in capital punishment then those which serve them to jail. Yet, that isn't the case.

No. The subsitute for the capital punishment is about 30 years in jail, whereas the substitute for amputations is no more than 2 years in jail, so of course you cannot use my logic and apply it to something completely different.

And can you give a source for your claim?
_ChaRisMa_
And they say the Saudis are primitive and Barbaric

So whether a certain country is regarded as 'primitive' and 'barbaric' is solely to be determined by the occurrence of theft? What about the outrageous human rights violations that go on in Saudi Arabia against women, gays, non-Muslims, Muslim-minorities, apostates and so on?

ma2k5
Like any country

Yes, many crimes are unreported in all countries; however, this does not mean that this occurs to the same extent in all jurisdictions.

Latest

Trending

Trending