Looking for a Laptop Watch

fait
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys, as the title says I’m looking for a laptop!

I’m looking for a fairly high end laptop. I might play a few games from time to time, but I’ll mostly be using the laptop for watching HD films/programs and uni stuff which is basically word processing and some modelling programs. Oh, and I use Photoshop quite a bit so I’ll be getting the new one shortly. Basically, if I want to be able to play games in the near future or use any demanding programs, I’d like the option to be available even though I’m not going to do at the present time, if that makes any sense.

So I guess that translates to Core 2 Duo, dedicated graphics card, 2GB+ RAM, etc. etc?

Now for all the miscellaneous things:

--My budget is probably gonna be around up to £700, obviously anything less than that would be awesome.

--Companies. I actually don’t know much about companies and reliability to be honest, I know a few facts i.e Acer is one to avoid, Sony VAIO is as overpriced as hell etc. I’ve heard good things about Asus and Dell.

--The OS. I’ve heard Vista is pretty awful, well at least in comparison to XP. I’ve been using XP for ages and I love it, but don’t think many companies offer XP anymore. I don’t know whether it’s wise to wait until Windows 7 comes out or downgrade to XP anyway, any thoughts?

--Good battery life would be great, but I doubt I’m going to use the laptop on the commute or anything.

This one looks pretty impressive, can’t seem to find anything wrong with it.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_...5C/version.asp

Thanks! Oh and feel free to nitpick at anything I say or offer any suggestions and I’m just looking at the best laptop for the best price when it comes down to it. =)
rogan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
macbook sounds perfect for you to be fair!
fait
Rep:
?
I was thinking about getting a MacBook but after playing around with my sister's and my friend's ones, I'm not really that much of a fan tbh.
AfroNathan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to stick to windows then I'd wait until Windows 7 is out.
As much as I love Vista over XP, sometimes it's a clunky mess.

Then again, the first batch of windows 7 will have flaws in that they won't have had chance to iron out. They should be far between though because of all the beta testing

Wait for Windows 7
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you've heard vista is crap?
well, its fine. 7 is even better

most companies will give you a free upgrade to windows 7 when it is released, so i would get something now while there are still back to school offers around
you havnt mentioned screen size. in my opinion, get 15.6" or smaller. anything bigger is a bit of a waste, you might have well bought a desktop.

as for dells, i would have a look at the studio 15, or insprion. the studio has better graphics and a nicer design.
the £599 model has decent specs all round. something you may want to consider is upgrading the screen, so it has a higher resolution. however, note that the text will be really small
AccioJellyBean
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a MacBook. Once you've got used to the OS and shiz, you will never want a PC again. It's worth a week or so of being confused.
_Shanice_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fait)
I was thinking about getting a MacBook but after playing around with my sister's and my friend's ones, I'm not really that much of a fan tbh.
No-one is a fan at first to be honest, but it's up to you at the end of the day (obviously since it'll be your laptop lol). I'd say a macbook too anyway.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP you say you want to watch HD films?
note that macs dont have a blu-ray drive
fait
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
you've heard vista is crap?
well, its fine. 7 is even better

most companies will give you a free upgrade to windows 7 when it is released, so i would get something now while there are still back to school offers around
you havnt mentioned screen size. in my opinion, get 15.6" or smaller. anything bigger is a bit of a waste, you might have well bought a desktop.

as for dells, i would have a look at the studio 15, or insprion. the studio has better graphics and a nicer design.
the £599 model has decent specs all round. something you may want to consider is upgrading the screen, so it has a higher resolution. however, note that the text will be really small
The Studio 15 looks pretty nice!

I'm a bit skeptical with Macs to be honest. I use alot of random programs that don't see to work on Macs and they just don't particularly appeal to me. Out of interest though, why are they so popular?

Screenwise, 15'4 or 17'' is fine. Oh, I don't really care for a Blu-ray player. What I meant by playing HD films is I guess that I need a decent graphics card and processor, 'cos my current one can't play HD films without lag. :sigh:

What about the Asus I posted, anyone got any comments on that?
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fait)

I'm a bit skeptical with Macs to be honest. I use alot of random programs that don't see to work on Macs and they just don't particularly appeal to me. Out of interest though, why are they so popular?

Screenwise, 15'4 or 17'' is fine. Oh, I don't really care for a Blu-ray player. What I meant by playing HD films is I guess that I need a decent graphics card and processor, 'cos my current one can't play HD films without lag. :sigh:

Trust me mate get a mac. I was in the same situation as you. I wern't too keen on macs because of software issues. But sersiously they are amazing. You can get around 14% discount (student) and an Ipod Touch for free.

Just give them a call.

Why are they so popular? Firstly the design is perfect; backlit keyboard, LED display makes watching movies perfect. Secondly the software is so user-friendly. Everything is done quickly and smoothly. Widgets are so good. Office for mac will be the main windows program you will use. Everything else will have an alternative.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fait)

i have a studio 15 myself
if you wanted the blu-ray drive, it is an extra £100

the studio 15 gets 9/10 in trusted reviews

note that the screen is LED too, and you can get a backlit keyboard if you so wish.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fait)
they have really good build quality, and will last for alot longer than most other makes of laptop. they also have reasonably high resale values. so when it comes to upgrading your old macbook will actually be worth something.

they do take a bit of getting used to, but they are soo much nicer to be on. they are really quite fast, with applecare, if theres any problem within 3 years of you buying it, you can just take it into an apple store (or ring up/online) and they'll give you advice / fix it for you for free!

if there really is some software that you cant run on os x, or find an alternative for. you can use bootcamp to create another partition and then install vista/xp on it, so you can dual boot it.
fait
Rep:
?
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
they have really good build quality, and will last for alot longer than most other makes of laptop. they also have reasonably high resale values. so when it comes to upgrading your old macbook will actually be worth something.

they do take a bit of getting used to, but they are soo much nicer to be on. they are really quite fast, with applecare, if theres any problem within 3 years of you buying it, you can just take it into an apple store (or ring up/online) and they'll give you advice / fix it for you for free!

if there really is some software that you cant run on os x, or find an alternative for. you can use bootcamp to create another partition and then install vista/xp on it, so you can dual boot it.
Hmm, interesting. I'm quite tempted, been looking at the site and reviews for a good half an hour now. But I don't think I'm going to get one, the price and more importantly the price for the specs isn't worth it for me. It's a shame really, MacBook Pro looks quite nice.

Just wondering; is it better to wait until Windows 7 comes out to go laptop hunting or now whilst there are some decent deals around? Going 1 month without a laptop at uni won't be too bad, just pretty annoying I guess.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads