Archery at Lancaster? Watch

mackemforever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am currently taking a gap year but will soon be applying again and Lancaster is one of my 2 favourite universities for my course.

I just wanted to ask if there is an Archery club at Lancaster.

If there is then:

What sort of level are the members?
What distances do you have available?
How often can you shoot?
Mainly compound or recurve?
How are new archers coached, just by students with more experience?

I like to think I am pretty decent. I shoot compound and can put in pretty decent scores.
This season I am averaging just over 1365 for Gents FITA's and 670 for FITA 720's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh yes there is. It 's quite large and active. And I know they go from beginners to quite a high standard - one of my former flamates competed at a fairly high level.
Can't answer your technical questions though...
This might help: www.lancs.ac.uk/socs/archery/
michaelbenson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One of my flatmates last year and his girlfriend were very involved with the Archery society, and I can tell you they absolutely loved it - and spent alot of their time going to compete regularly in tournaments, so it is definitely still active.

They'll have a stall at Freshers Fair on either the Wednesday or the Thursday, so if you pop to the Great Hall and find them I'm sure they'll be able to answer any of your questions then.
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Like the others, I have no idea about the technical side, but the archers I know really get into it- Someone appearing in your kitchen with a physics textbook, tub of ice cream and a bow can be quite an odd sight!
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
Like the others, I have no idea about the technical side, but the archers I know really get into it- Someone appearing in your kitchen with a physics textbook, tub of ice cream and a bow can be quite an odd sight!
Wow, that is all far too familiar!
Except my Archery flatmates are never far from cheese either :P

But yeah, walking into the kitchen to just see them sharpening their bows/arrows/whatever becomes normal
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by michaelbenson)
Wow, that is all far too familiar!
Except my Archery flatmates are never far from cheese either :P

But yeah, walking into the kitchen to just see them sharpening their bows/arrows/whatever becomes normal
I think we might know the same person.... cheese is also a big fondness! unless cheese is a common thing for archers studying physics!
athamas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think we might know the same person.... cheese is also a big fondness! unless cheese is a common thing for archers studying physics!
ok now thats disturbing... i know of very few people that do physics and archery..

anyway, back on topic, they are an active group of people.. lots of socials and the like.
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, the only archers I know do physics, so it's kind of my little stereotype, I guess...
athamas
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow.. i relly must pay attention to what i write..
i also meant to add that i only know of two people who do both physics and archery.. hence the slightly disturbing, everyone seems to know everyone in same way on this board ...
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by athamas)
wow.. i relly must pay attention to what i write..
i also meant to add that i only know of two people who do both physics and archery.. hence the slightly disturbing, everyone seems to know everyone in same way on this board ...
The ones i know are couple... going into third year now- same ones?
michaelbenson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The ones i know are couple... going into third year now- same ones?
Those are the ones! Been their flatmates (well, they don't technically live together) for two years now - though it is starting to feel weird to talk about them not being here, or use their names!

But yeah - Archery rocks :P
vergerefosh
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
I am currently taking a gap year but will soon be applying again and Lancaster is one of my 2 favourite universities for my course.

I just wanted to ask if there is an Archery club at Lancaster.

If there is then:

What sort of level are the members?
What distances do you have available?
How often can you shoot?
Mainly compound or recurve?
How are new archers coached, just by students with more experience?

I like to think I am pretty decent. I shoot compound and can put in pretty decent scores.
This season I am averaging just over 1365 for Gents FITA's and 670 for FITA 720's.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Yes there is, 20 yards indoors, shoots on Mondays 2-4, Fridays 6-8 indoors throughout the year. Outdoors isn't until the summer really.

Mainly recurve, but there are some compound and a couple of longbows.
New archers are coached by more experience members, at least as far as I've seen. They keep the first four weeks at the beginning of the year to do basic coaching for people who join at Fresher's Fair who haven't done it before. They'll probably have a season in the first week or two to see how good the more experienced archers are.

Members are a mix, I didn't go that often, but some are pretty good.

And it did seem like a lot of archers did physics, especially freshers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Lancaster University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 13 Jul '19
  • Lancaster University
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads