Dinwiddy House - space and storage in rooms/kitchen? Watch

Pem
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello everyone!

After trawling the internet for decent information (and successfully finding some photos on TSR!), I've come to ask what are cupboards/storage like in Dinwiddy House rooms? And also in the kitchens?
Do you have enough space to store pots/pans, and suitcases in your room?

I would also love to bring my sewing machine (I like my creative hobbies!), and I'd be devastated if I don't have any space to store it! I don't really want a big box sitting next to my bed (clean freak here!).

So yes, any information/past experience would be greatly appreciated!
I'm starting to pack soon and I'm really worried I'll turn up with too much stuff... I'm used to living away from home, but from the pictures Dinwiddy rooms look considerably smaller than what I had in boarding school and my flat last year

I look forward to any answers
TMDaines
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pem)
After trawling the internet for decent information (and successfully finding some photos on TSR!), I've come to ask what are cupboards/storage like in Dinwiddy House rooms? And also in the kitchens?
Do you have enough space to store pots/pans, and suitcases in your room?
In your room you'll have a decent sized tall wardrobe which also contains a shelf in at the top. You can also store stuff on top of the wardrobe itself since it doesn't reach the ceiling. You also get chest of drawers (four drawers if I remember) under your desk and a small two-tired bookcase next to your desk. One of the drawers is lockable. Your suitcases can go under your bed!

In the kitchen you will have your own cupboard, which is again lockable, which you can store your groceries in. There are also cupboards to share underneath the sinks in which you can store pots and pans and the like, or you can store them on the top of your cupboard.

(Original post by Pem)
I would also love to bring my sewing machine (I like my creative hobbies!), and I'd be devastated if I don't have any space to store it! I don't really want a big box sitting next to my bed (clean freak here!).
Yeh you'll have space: either under your desk or on top of your wardrobe.
frost3dbutts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TMDaines)
In your room you'll have a decent sized tall wardrobe which also contains a shelf in at the top. You can also store stuff on top of the wardrobe itself since it doesn't reach the ceiling. You also get chest of drawers (four drawers if I remember) under your desk and a small two-tired bookcase next to your desk. One of the drawers is lockable. Your suitcases can go under your bed!

In the kitchen you will have your own cupboard, which is again lockable, which you can store your groceries in. There are also cupboards to share underneath the sinks in which you can store pots and pans and the like, or you can store them on the top of your cupboard.

What's the bathroom storage like?
TMDaines
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by frost3dbutts)
What's the bathroom storage like?
Nonexistant, since your bathroom is more of a small wetroom with a toilet, shower and sink.
frost3dbutts
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nonexistant, since your bathroom is more of a small wetroom with a toilet, shower and sink.
Thought so. Any floor room at all for adding storage boxes etc?
TMDaines
Report 9 years ago
In the bathroom? No, not unless you get a disabled room.

In the bedroom? Not really - they'll have to go in the bottom or on top of your wardrobe, or under your bed.
Pem
Report Thread starter 9 years ago

Thanks a lot for that info! That was really helpful!
I think I should manage fine, and a small space would be a lesson in organisation, haha.
frost3dbutts
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In the bathroom? No, not unless you get a disabled room.

In the bedroom? Not really - they'll have to go in the bottom or on top of your wardrobe, or under your bed.
Christ. Hanging storage, maybe?
LA_0909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is the storage under the bed which can fit a fair few boxes underneath. I had a particularly small room last year which meat no space for boxes to be put anywhere else. There is also generally about a foot of space between your bed and wadrobe, if not more.

In my bathroom last year I was able to have a small set of stackable plastic shelf type things (hard to explain I'm sorry) but they were basically small stackable baskets for toiletries and things!
zee757
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Leanne Antonia)
There is the storage under the bed which can fit a fair few boxes underneath. I had a particularly small room last year which meat no space for boxes to be put anywhere else. There is also generally about a foot of space between your bed and wadrobe, if not more.

In my bathroom last year I was able to have a small set of stackable plastic shelf type things (hard to explain I'm sorry) but they were basically small stackable baskets for toiletries and things!

Hello sorry to quote you like this but I was wondering is the flat accommodation at dinwiddy house mixed gendered or just like all male/female shared flats?

You're the only person that I can see that goes to SOAS hehe
hope you don't mind answering,
TMDaines
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zee757)
Hello sorry to quote you like this but I was wondering is the flat accommodation at dinwiddy house mixed gendered or just like all male/female shared flats?

Nearly all mixed. I don't know anyone who got a single gendered flat who asked for it though. It just ended up that way.
LA_0909
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Most are mixed gendered, although there are a fair few all boy/girls flat - but thats normally just how they got randomly put together. However, a few people will request single sex flats and get them. I know someone who was in an all Muslim female flat in first year.

Hope that helps, any more questions you can always PM me!
zee757
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thanks !
ChocolateCriminal
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Leanne Antonia)
Most are mixed gendered, although there are a fair few all boy/girls flat - but thats normally just how they got randomly put together. However, a few people will request single sex flats and get them. I know someone who was in an all Muslim female flat in first year.

Hope that helps, any more questions you can always PM me!

Hey! I was wondering if I could ask you a question too. Im going to SOAS and I got Dinwiddy, I asked for an all girls flat, but if I dont get it - then both girls and boys will use the bathroom or do we get separate bathrooms?
zee757
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChocolateCriminal)
Hey! I was wondering if I could ask you a question too. Im going to SOAS and I got Dinwiddy, I asked for an all girls flat, but if I dont get it - then both girls and boys will use the bathroom or do we get separate bathrooms?
Every room at Dinwiddy house has an ensuite so don't worry hehe
ChocolateCriminal
Report 8 years ago
Every room at Dinwiddy house has an ensuite so don't worry hehe

Thanks! :yep:
Shaka_Sound
Report 8 years ago
Everyone looking forward to moving in on sunday?
x-lauren-x
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Shaka_Sound)
Everyone looking forward to moving in on sunday?
I am! Hey, just wondering how many bags most people are bringing? I have 3 suitcases... I'm worried that I'm so not going to be able to fit everything in! xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.87%
No - but I will (98)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (603)
47.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise