STEP required??? Watch

hotdog25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am applying for maths and econ in 2010 to UCL, LSE etc and am currently taking the IB. i just want to find out if it was necessary to take step papers
autohmail
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/undergraduateP...mics/G1L1.aspx

It does not mention STEP, therefore, the conclusion is that it is not necessary to take the exam. Although, it may look good on your application.
spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think lse give a **** tbh. I had step and 4As and they rejected me for maths and econ. Further maths is much more important, or the IB equivalent.
hotdog25
Rep:
?
Woah, 4As and still rejected??? did u find out y u got rejected??
hotdog25
Rep:
?
btw, it says on the wiki tht "Cambridge and Warwick base many of their offers on STEP, as it is believed to be a fairer measure of a candidate's ability than A-levels or the mathematics AEA" does this mean that if u take ib you dont hve to take it.
The Muon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
After working my way through very bad english I can answer that you have to have STEP for warwick and cambridge regardless of what other qualifications. As of yet these are the only two universities to use STEP in entry requirements.

Edit: see swayums post for a little more on the step requirements of imperial and bath
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You most certainly won't need STEP for LSE. I'd be surprised if the admissions tutors even know what it is to be honest.

(Original post by The Muon)
As of yet these are the only two universities to use STEP in entry requirements.
Nah, Imperial sometimes asks too. Bath gives you an optional STEP offer too (i.e. AAB can be reduced to AAC + 2).
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
STEP is not required but it can be a great addition to your profile if you can score well i.e. 2 minimum
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no, i don't think so
Horizontal 8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just so I don't make another thread ... does anyone know if applying with a distinction in the maths AEA make much of a difference for LSE even though their offers aren't based on it? Course is maths &/with Econ btw.

Thanks
The Muon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not to my knowledge - I think they just give a standard offer to everyone, regardless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.61%
No - but I will (56)
7.19%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (374)
48.01%

Watched Threads