To achieve an A* in Alevel, does it require you to do an extended paper? Help please! Watch

josh_a_y
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello fellow forumers!

Once again, I am confused about A*s in A-levels this year. First of all, just to corroborate with everyone, is A*s available for people doing A2 levels at the moment (just recieved AS level results in the summer)?

Secondly, I am confused as to how this A* is achieved. I thought, and im sure the majority will agree with me here, that it is achieved with a 80%+ overall UMS in your subject, with a 90%+ overall UMS in your A2 modules, and also, does this 90%+ include the A2 coursework?

However, I spoke to my 6th form head last week, and he seemed to think differently. He says that A* is obtained by doing some kind of extended exam. And reading the times university guide on the newspaper this morning, I did infact, read a mention of these extended exams to achieve an A* grade.

So can some one who knows clearly about how this A* is obtained, please verify with me, are my initial thoughts correct? or do we have to do an extended paper?

Thanks for your time! xx
WindsorHL3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
your 6th form head chats ****. 80% average at AS 90 at A2 sorted and yes you can get it if you did AS last summer.
maxfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ What he said.
JustDan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have to get 90% overall, with the majority of the weighting coming from A2.

Hope that clears it up, wouldnt be able to say what exact percentage, as it depends on the ums for that year.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bless your teacher. He's probably a bit old and just not with it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads