Apple Mac OSX Snow Leopard Watch

TheGreatest21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey, was wondering if anyone could help me...I am currently running Tiger (OSX 10.4) on my Macbook and wondered if I needed to have Leopard (OSX 10.5) already installed on the machine to be able to install Snow Leopard (10.6) or can I just install Snow Leopard whilst having 10.4 on the machine already?

Would be very grateful to whom ever can answer my question!

andrewkeith5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can install snow leapord, but from my understanding (and I might be wrong, as I don't use macs), you can't do an in-place upgrade

Also, you can't use the £25 upgrade offer version if you're coming from 10.4 - this is only for Leapord customers

If you are using 10.4 currently, you can either upgrade to 10.5 then 10.6, or have to use the "special pack" which includes OS X, iLife, and iWork '09 - but as I say, i'm not sure you can upgrade

Obviously, it's usually better to do a "clean" install anyway when upgrading the OS, especially if you're skipping a version
AfroNathan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't own a mac but I am a nerdling
I believe that as long as your mac has an intel processor then yes you can update to Snow Leopard. I think there is only one version.
h5656bh52ptecsw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Either way its best to do a clean install - i.e clean up your hardrive then copy it to external disk, wipe the mac drive then install snow leopard!
Zorg
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AfroNathan)
I don't own a mac but I am a nerdling
I believe that as long as your mac has an intel processor then yes you can update to Snow Leopard. I think there is only one version.
Incorrect.

There are two packs; the up to date disc for Leopard users and the full pack containing iLife, iWorks and OS X 10.6.

Apples official stance is that Tiger users have to use the full pack, however it has been shown that the up to date pack can be used to upgrade from Tiger but you wouldn't get iLife and IIRC you wouldn't be able to keep your personal files
AfroNathan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zorg)
Incorrect.

There are two packs; the up to date disc for Leopard users and the full pack containing iLife, iWorks and OS X 10.6.

Apples official stance is that Tiger users have to use the full pack, however it has been shown that the up to date pack can be used to upgrade from Tiger but you wouldn't get iLife and IIRC you wouldn't be able to keep your personal files
I was wrong
I knew about the full pack, but I did not realise it was for upgrading from Tiger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise