Physics (and some problems) Watch

blueJ-
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hey guys, i'll be honest, i've always avoided even looking at the london universities due to cost, and my parents have basically said "it's too expensive"

however over the weekend, I couldn't help myself, i have indeed been down to UCL & imperial in the past and loved it there, however again I was discouraged.

now i've looked at it again and it seems just incredible, the department, the city, etc, i would LOVE to go there, absolutely. however what can I do? i fear that i'll just hear 'it's just not possible if your parents can't back you'

the other problem arises from the fact that having looked at the bursary scheme, my parents income is quite well above the mark (so I can't get financial aid from UCL), however my brother & sister are also at uni and will be for the next two years, and my parents are paying for their accommodation, i can't expect them to pay for mine if i'm living in london aswell...

is there anything I can do? i do a paper round and i'd be willing to look for a part-time job this year, but the amount of money I could raise part-time this year would still pale in comparison to the accomadation (~£130-160) a week i have read....

thanks again

edit: yeah I think in terms of grades i'm okay, i got AAA in maths phys chem (with really high scores in math & phys, taking f.maths aswell) and a C in french which i'm dropping...

EDIT: fail , i just saw the "Can i afford to go to UCL thread?" which is essentially what i was asking, so ignore this...
jamz0770
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by blueJ-)
hey guys, i'll be honest, i've always avoided even looking at the london universities due to cost, and my parents have basically said "it's too expensive"

however over the weekend, I couldn't help myself, i have indeed been down to UCL & imperial in the past and loved it there, however again I was discouraged.

now i've looked at it again and it seems just incredible, the department, the city, etc, i would LOVE to go there, absolutely. however what can I do? i fear that i'll just hear 'it's just not possible if your parents can't back you'

the other problem arises from the fact that having looked at the bursary scheme, my parents income is quite well above the mark (so I can't get financial aid from UCL), however my brother & sister are also at uni and will be for the next two years, and my parents are paying for their accommodation, i can't expect them to pay for mine if i'm living in london aswell...

is there anything I can do? i do a paper round and i'd be willing to look for a part-time job this year, but the amount of money I could raise part-time this year would still pale in comparison to the accomadation (~£130-160) a week i have read....

thanks again

edit: yeah I think in terms of grades i'm okay, i got AAA in maths phys chem (with really high scores in math & phys, taking f.maths aswell) and a C in french which i'm dropping...

EDIT: fail , i just saw the "Can i afford to go to UCL thread?" which is essentially what i was asking, so ignore this...

First year rooms start at £85 if your willing to share from what I've seen, Which isn't too bad by any standards let alone London Standards.
marshmallows
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just get a student loan. And London isn't *that* expensive if you don't let it be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads