The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can download a spare off the internet!
you should be able to do the form on the internet. Why did she rip it up, if you dont mind me asking?
She doesn't want to do anything to help me, "I am not part of the family just a unpaying lodger and I can leave tomorrow and she won't care"
a_musical_gal
OMG OMG OMG

What do I do?

My mum just ripped it up, threw it in the bin and said I shouldn't collect another from school because she won't fill it in and she'll rip it up again.

I need that money!

First of all, I’m pretty sure you’ve missed the deadline but they’ll still accept late application, but they don’t guarantee they’ll be done by the time you start your course.

Those forms have two purposes, the first is to work out how much tuition fees you pay, and the second is to determine how much student loan you get.

Tell your mum that unless those forms are filled in, the most likely consequence is that you will be liable for 100% tuition fee payment which is just over £1,200.
Try this link www.studentsupportdirect.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=34,31429&_dad=portal&_schema=PROTOCOL. Not sure if requires parents signature tho'
martynwilliams
First of all, I’m pretty sure you’ve missed the deadline but they’ll still accept late application, but they don’t guarantee they’ll be done by the time you start your course.

Those forms have two purposes, the first is to work out how much tuition fees you pay, and the second is to determine how much student loan you get.

Tell your mum that unless those forms are filled in, the most likely consequence is that you will be liable for 100% tuition fee payment which is just over £1,200.

Bloody hell (pardon me) I didn't even know when the deadline was!

Can't I fill in the online forms without her knowing. I won't get all the money I need but I'd have some right?
Reply 7
You can apply for the non income assessed part, which is about £3000
a_musical_gal
Bloody hell (pardon me) I didn't even know when the deadline was!

Can't I fill in the online forms without her knowing. I won't get all the money I need but I'd have some right?

Yeah, you just need to ask to be “non-income assessed”, but I’m not sure how that will impact on how much tuition fees you’d have to pay, because they work that out on the basis of your parent(s) income.

I think you need to sit your mum down and explain to her how important it is that these forms are filled in, and emphasise that fact that they determine how much tuition fees SHE will need to pay, and how much of a loan you will get.
Reply 9
Juno
You can apply for the non income assessed part, which is about £3000

is the deadline for this kind of loan on the 1st July?
No, incomed assessed is 1st July. Non-income assessed was 31th April
Reply 11
a_musical_gal

you can apply for non-means tested support - where you don't need to give any parental financial information.

BUT, this means you'll have to pay the full tuition contribution & will only get the 75% of the loan everyone does.

edit - Juno beat me too it. :smile:

if your family situation is that bad & you'll be moving away for good when you go to uni, you could look into applying as an independent student i.e. estranged from your family perhaps - & they might only take your earning into account? then you wouldn't play tuition & would get full loan perhaps.. but i imagine they would require evidence of 'independence.'

but even though the deadline has passed - you can still fill them in & apply.. they just don't guarantee to have made their mind up by the start of term!

MartynWilliams

I think you need to sit your mum down and explain to her how important it is that these forms are filled in, and emphasise that fact that they determine how much tuition fees SHE will need to pay, and how much of a loan you will get.

if only.. the bill goes to the student! :rolleyes: it's the LEA expected parental support.. doesn't mean it has to happen..
martynwilliams
SHE will need to pay, and how much of a loan you will get.

She doesn't want to pay - that is the point.
Elles
you can apply for non-means tested support - where you don't need to give any parental financial information.

BUT, this means you'll have to pay the full tuition contribution & will only get the 75% of the loan everyone does.

edit - Juno beat me too it. :smile:

if your family situation is that bad & you'll be moving away for good when you go to uni, you could look into applying as an independent student i.e. estranged from your family perhaps - & they might only take your earning into account? then you wouldn't play tuition & would get full loan perhaps.. but i imagine they would require evidence of 'independence.'

but even though the deadline has passed - you can still fill them in & apply.. they just don't guarantee to have made their mind up by the start of term!

if only.. the bill goes to the student! it's the LEA expected parental support.. doesn't mean it has to happen..

True…I’ve paid my own fees…so you are right.
Reply 14
Richy Rich$$
No, incomed assessed is 1st July. Non-income assessed was 31th April

Yes, but as long as you apply you will get some money. It just may not be in time for the start of term. However, if you don't get loan money when you need it for paying fees then your uni should be sympathetic and either give you a loan or extend the deadline for you.

And to apply as an independant student you need to have supported yourself for 3 years
Juno
Yes, but as long as you apply you will get some money. It just may not be in time for the start of term. However, if you don't get loan money when you need it for paying fees then your uni should be sympathetic and either give you a loan or extend the deadline for you.

And to apply as an independant student you need to have supported yourself for 3 years

I have had a job for 2 years. I almost left home when I was 16 but my dad talked me out of it. I doubt that counts as independant
a_musical_gal
I have had a job for 2 years. I almost left home when I was 16 but my dad talked me out of it. I doubt that counts as independant

could you ask your dad to fill it in for you??
Reply 17
I don't think you can count as independent if you still live at home. But do talk to someone at school about it to see if they have any advice!
Reply 18
AMG - if you're applying for non-income assessed, then the maximum loan you'll get next year is £3145, and you will have to pay tuition fees of £1175. The rest will barely get you accomodation, let alone living expenses. I really would sit your mum down and tell her that even if she hates it, if she at least provides your household financial income details, then you'll get more loan and have to pay less fees and therefore will be able to support yourself much easier, still without your mum giving you any money.
a_musical_gal
She doesn't want to do anything to help me, "I am not part of the family just a unpaying lodger and I can leave tomorrow and she won't care"

there is a special section - declare yoursel an independent student because 'parents are unwilling to pay fees' - something like that. they chase up the folks of course, but if your mum is that big a bitch they'll just find out for themselves.
HTH

Latest

Trending

Trending