Turn on thread page Beta

My mum have ripped up my student loans form! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    there is a special section - declare yoursel an independent student because 'parents are unwilling to pay fees' - something like that. they chase up the folks of course, but if your mum is that big a ***** they'll just find out for themselves.
    HTH
    She is.

Yesterday I was using the internet to research some music stuff out my exam on monday. She screams up the stairs "Get off the interenet I need to use it" I reply, "I need it a minute, I won't be long. If you make me warm that pie + put some chips with it [mircowave 3 min ones]. I'll finish up and you can have it.

This ended up being a half an hour agruement and she threated no less than 5 times to kick me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I don't think you can count as independent if you still live at home. But do talk to someone at school about it to see if they have any advice!
    My HOS is on my mum's side. my mum went in about 2 months ago to speak to her and since then my HOS has been right against me!

ReputationRep:
    Can you talk to your dad about it? I really think that might be the best way to go, there is no way you'll survive at uni with only your loan and paying everything yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    OMG OMG OMG

What do I do?

My mum just ripped it up, threw it in the bin and said I shouldn't collect another from school because she won't fill it in and she'll rip it up again.

I need that money!
    I have a similar problem! I live with my parents and my mum wont fill in a section of the form that asks for her income etc, my dads never filled in a form in is life so doesnt know or even want to know how to!! Everytime i ask her she says shes busy and cant be bothered. Ive asked her when shes watching tv and she goes mad everytime i mither her with it and says that her income has nothing to do with them and calls them nosy b*******s lol.

So how the hell am i supposed to send it off if they wont tell me their details?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Can you talk to your dad about it? I really think that might be the best way to go, there is no way you'll survive at uni with only your loan and paying everything yourself.
    No offence to my dad but he never went to school and can't read or write.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was have a talk to him - would he be able to talk to your mum in a more civil way?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and are you the first person in your family to go to university? If you are them you may be eligable for a bursary once you get to uni, it might b worth finding out if there's anything available - I know some people who got £1000 in bursary money from my uni in their furthering education scheme.

ReputationRep:
    ya your parens sound EXACTLY like mine lol. My mum does all my dads paperwork. Maybe your mums just in a mood for a while. Try asking when you see her laughing although even this didnt work for me. Thing is my mums paid the first year for me which is really nice of her but she says she cant afford and doesnt see why she should pay the full three years (fair enough) so shes mithering me to get this form sent off but says shes not giving all her details or filling in her section :confused: :confused:

are you gonna be living in halls or home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    ya your parens sound EXACTLY like mine lol. My mum does all my dads paperwork. Maybe your mums just in a mood for a while. Try asking when you see her laughing although even this didnt work for me. Thing is my mums paid the first year for me which is really nice of her but she says she cant afford and doesnt see why she should pay the full three years (fair enough) so shes mithering me to get this form sent off but says shes not giving all her details or filling in her section :confused: :confused:

are you gonna be living in halls or home?
    She's not just in a mood she's being her normal self! You should see her on a bad day.

Living in halls the second I can move into my halls I will

ReputationRep:
    A musical girl said:
    She's not just in a mood she's being her normal self! You should see her on a bad day.
    Firstly, don't worry about the deadline too much. You can still get the money before or at the start of term if you act quickly. You should sit down with your mum or dad and explain to them your situation. If they still don't agree then make this known on your form and the council should then be able to act for you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My HOS is on my mum's side. my mum went in about 2 months ago to speak to her and since then my HOS has been right against me!
    Well, is there anyone else? You must have a sympathetic teacher or someone. Failing that, you could always go and see someone at Connexions (you must have a centre near you somewhere!) and see if they can give you advice on whether you can be an independent student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    Yeah, you just need to ask to be “non-income assessed”, but I’m not sure how that will impact on how much tuition fees you’d have to pay, because they work that out on the basis of your parent(s) income.
    if you apply for a non-income assessed loan they assume that you are ok for money and so you pay maximum fees. (ie £1250 or whatever it is.)

but the deadline for non-income assessed was april, income-assessed is 1st july.

if you can prove your parents won't support you at all (and i don't know how you'd go about diong that, could you talk to the school?) then you will be given extra money and bursaries and judged on your own income, not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, is there anyone else? You must have a sympathetic teacher or someone. Failing that, you could always go and see someone at Connexions (you must have a centre near you somewhere!) and see if they can give you advice on whether you can be an independent student.
    I can't be a independent student I have checked

I'll speak to my mum again when she has calm down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    AMG are you the first in the family to go into higher education? Check your uni's website for bursaries that might be available to you, as that might come in very handy for you and give you a bit of extra money.

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't want to pay - that is the point.
    Your parents are legally obliged to support you in full time education up til 21. If that's her attitude, talk to a solicitor (you'll get legal aid, so it won't cost anything) and, if worst comes to worst, the court can get her to pay and you'll probably end up better off in the long run.

I can't be a independent student I have checked
    Um... I think you're wrong there.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell (pardon me) I didn't even know when the deadline was!

Can't I fill in the online forms without her knowing. I won't get all the money I need but I'd have some right?

the deadline is only gone if you were after a non-assesed loan! the deadline for the assesed loan is july 1st 2005!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Your parents are legally obliged to support you in full time education up til 21.
    i find this very hard to believe! where did you learn this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    i find this very hard to believe! where did you learn this?
    I think they are obliged to help pay, unless you are classed as an independant student and that has to be seperately assessed. The government and the universities have to get their money somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    I think they are obliged to help pay, unless you are classed as an independant student and that has to be seperately assessed. The government and the universities have to get their money somehow.
    well obviously, but seeing as higher education, nor even further education, are compulsory, i don't see how the government can say that parents must help financially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    well obviously, but seeing as higher education, nor even further education, are compulsory, i don't see how the government can say that parents must help financially.
    Well they can and have. But of course this will all change soon as up-front fees are going to be a thing of the past and students will be responsible for paying after graduation.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.