Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
adz1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reading, Surrey, Leeds, East Anglia, Keele?
yas_22
Report 9 years ago
kent
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leicester They're about 14th in uni tables, not in the Russel Group, and are number 1 for student satisfaction ^^
Pandabär
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
*I*
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by graffic)
Hi there I'm currently in the process of writing my Uni application , just as many other students are all over the U.K.

At the top I am putting UCL or perhaps University of Manchester. If I don't get the required 1 A and two B's and say I get 3 B's or 2 B's and 1 C am i restricted to ex-poly Universities? If this is the case can anyone recommend good universities which need B's and C's. Preferably which have good history or politics departments.
If you're studying history or politics, then being in the Russell Group should have absolutely no bearing on your choice - it is a research group, it will have no bearing on your undergraduate arts tuition.

Of course there are plenty of non-polytechnic universities outside the Russell Group. There are a whole range of ancient universities, red bricks, the more modern 1960s 'plate glass' universities and so on who are not members.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Any and every university?

Seriously though, there are loads of good ones outside of the Russell Group. These include all those in the 1994 Group, Kent, and then plenty more.
lucy213
Report 9 years ago
The course I applied to at Oxford Brookes required ABB, it's probably not as bad as you think.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by adz1991)
Reading, Surrey, Leeds, East Anglia, Keele?

Leeds is a well respected Russell Group university.
jessiainscough
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Durham
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Russell Group is just an affiliation of the largest research intensive universities in the UK. Not all of their members are particularly good or bad. Liverpool is ranked something like 40th in the country, whereas Oxbridge are obviously the first two for most subjects. The 1994 Group is also composes of lots of good and not-so-hot universities that are still research intensive, but are quite small, so places like York, Leicester, St. Andrew's.

BBB-BBC can still land you a great university place - unless you're going to Oxbridge, most places won't ask for AAA or even AAB, and nowhere else asks for A*AA as far as I know. Simply because a university isn't in the Russell Group doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. I don't want to sound like I'm unashamedly promoting Leicester, but typically they ask for BBB/equivalent, and it's got a lot going for it at the moment. Check out some of the other plate glass [charters in the 50s/60s] universities.
Tsukuyomi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bath, we are not in the russell group and we are placed 11th
Kemik
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
The Russell Group is just an affiliation of the largest research intensive universities in the UK. Not all of their members are particularly good or bad. Liverpool is ranked something like 40th in the country, whereas Oxbridge are obviously the first two for most subjects.
29th thanks. Also a member of the Redbrick group.
emanuel_arsenalfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8726
Hedgehunter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Answering the title question I would say Exeter and Bath are two clear examples, Unis which I will be applying to.

These two should be in the Russell Group and I personally feel there are certain universities that shouldn't be in the group, such as Cardiff and Liverpool.
angelmxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oxford Brookes is a good uni. Durham's not in the russel group so don't think that any uni not in the russel group will only need Bs and Cs to get into!

Birmingham's standard offer is ABB for history & political science, and that's a very good uni.

But Reading and Kent are probably good unis who offer ABB-BBC. Portsmouth's typical history and politics offer is BBB-CCC and it had one of the top student satisfaction ratings for history (according to the Times website).

History offers are generally very high though, because demand is so high - Reading say 340-360 points on ucas, but if you have an extra AS then you would only need to get BBB instead of AAB to get the required number of points. Surrey don't offer history. Lancaster and East Anglia say AAB-ABB.

Have you thought about scottish unis? they usually have quite low offers because they do 4 year courses. Glasgow/Aberdeen/Dundee maybe? (Edinburgh offer 3 Bs but you really need AAA-AAB predictions to get an offer, as their website now explains.)
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kemik)
29th thanks. Also a member of the Redbrick group.
No offence intended, 28-29th it is, but I just took it to show that not all of the Russell Group universities are right at the top of their game overall. That's not to say that Liverpool's a bad university, because it isn't, but there's plenty of 1994 Group and unaffiliated universities scattered throughout the league tables above Liverpool.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by graffic)
Hi there I'm currently in the process of writing my Uni application , just as many other students are all over the U.K.

At the top I am putting UCL or perhaps University of Manchester. If I don't get the required 1 A and two B's and say I get 3 B's or 2 B's and 1 C am i restricted to ex-poly Universities? If this is the case can anyone recommend good universities which need B's and C's. Preferably which have good history or politics departments.

The problem is that I'm from a not so well off background and my parents have said to me that it's not worth the loan for an ex-poly Uni, like Oxford Brookes for example.
The Russell Group is not a collection of the "best" universities or those that necessarily have the highest grade requirements. It's a lobbying group of research intensive universities. The Russell Group is.

So it's not Russell Group and then ex-polys outisde. Some of the very strongest universities are not in the Russell Group.

So if you're asking for good universities outside the Russell Group, you'll probably get people mentioning Durham, St Andrews, Bath or Leicester (all three are in the 1994 Group). For history and politics, indeed a signigicant number of their courses, Durham ask for AAA (and a high number of A*s at GCSE for history). So not really suitable, Bath, St Andrews and Leciester will also be AAA-AAB. These can have higher grade requirements than a number of Russell Group universities.

So, with your permission, is it OK if I edit the thread title to something like "good politics/history unis with BBB or lower". A bit long winded but a little less misleading.

(Original post by Hedgehunter)
certain universities that shouldn't be in the group, such as Cardiff and Liverpool.
Why shouldn't they be in the Russell Group?
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by angelmxxx)
Glasgow/Aberdeen/Dundee maybe?
Glasgow (a Russell Group univeristy) has typical offers of AAB but Aberdeen is certainly worth looking it. It's a very good university and, due to its location (being so far north), often overlooked by those south of the border.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Glasgow (a Russell Group univeristy) has typical offers of AAB
I'm so pissed off that they've raised their entry requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads