C++ Linked List Watch

Usar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Would someone be nice enough to look through my implementation of a doubly-linked list that I did with C++ to hold a list of numbers? I'm worried that my pointer use may be inefficient. There are five files in all (3 .cpps and 2 .hs) which are easy to understand. Please reply if you want to help!
laser
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Usar)
Would someone be nice enough to look through my implementation of a doubly-linked list that I did with C++ to hold a list of numbers? I'm worried that my pointer use may be inefficient. There are five files in all (3 .cpps and 2 .hs) which are easy to understand. Please reply if you want to help!
Pastebin it somewhere? Although 5 files does sound like a lot.
Usar
Rep:
?
I pastebinned it.

Here are the headers:
http://pastebin.com/m63d844e7

Here are the .cpps:
http://pastebin.com/m26822dcd

I think it's ok, but I'd appreciate pointing out of any bad habits/coding/usage. Thanks.
nowheree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Usar)
I pastebinned it.

Here are the headers:
http://pastebin.com/m63d844e7

Here are the .cpps:
http://pastebin.com/m26822dcd

I think it's ok, but I'd appreciate pointing out of any bad habits/coding/usage. Thanks.
i only skimmed a bit of it but why are you using a doubly linked list just to find highest/smallest numbers? I don't see you freeing any of the pointers either

using NULL instead of zero is a bit clearer, also it could do with a few brief comments
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Code:
char *a = new char[3];
        while (*a != 'q') {

cout << "Enter a number to add to the list (q to stop): ";
                cin >> a;
                if (*a != 'q') {
                        l.insert(atoi(a));
                }
                else {
                        break;
                }
        }
Is buggy as hell why are you doing it like that ? You got no bounds checking or input validation.

Regarding the list its got no memory deallocation so will be leaking memory. I remember I tried to code a double linked list out of boredom once but gave up when It came to freeing the memory.

I would stick to the STL data structures in a real project but this is good pointer experiance.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless I'm very much mistaken, ::remove crashes if you try to remove an element that doesn't exist.

As others have said, no deallocation, either on removing elements, or in the destructor for the list as a whole.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by INTit)
I would stick to the STL data structures in a real project but this is good pointer experiance.
For my job I've been specifically told not to use the STL, so it depends on the nature of the project.
Usar
Rep:
?
Thanks for the posts.

Yeah I know some parts of it aren't foolproof (i.e. removing a non-existent element) but I didn't bother with that since I just wanted to get good at pointers.

Regarding the pointers memory deallocation: do you just mean that I need to do delete nameOfNode when the time's right? I didn't think this was necessary as I was told that you only need to free memory in that way when you use something like "Node node = new Node(200)" with the keyword new. So do I just need to delete all my nodes in ~Node? (Or ~List).
Usar
Rep:
?
(Original post by nowheree)
i only skimmed a bit of it but why are you using a doubly linked list just to find highest/smallest numbers? I don't see you freeing any of the pointers either

using NULL instead of zero is a bit clearer, also it could do with a few brief comments
I used a doubly linked list 'cause I just wanted to code it. Finding the min/max numbers isn't really important.. just wanted to do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads