14.29%
Ed (haha) Balls (3)
7.14%
lazzarus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It makes sense! He is articulate and charismatic, unlike Brown, Balls, his brother, and Johnson. He is a fresh face unlike Jack Straw & mandy. He also has sensible policy inclinations unlike Harmann & Cruddas.

He is absolutely the only labour politican I can get excited about, his media handling as shown on newsnight and andrew marr show is top draw.

Again, it makes sense!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We've been saying this for a while. However, it won't be. It'll be David Miliband.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does it matter? they have at least a decade in the wilderness.
Ipso Facto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm a big fan of Ed Miliband and would definitely like to see him as the party leader at some stage. It perhaps might be too early for Miliband this time around but he's a decent politician, with a good image, who is refreshingly honest and trustworthy; a few years down the line I think he'll get his chance.

The main problem is attracting the best candidates to throw their hats in the ring at the start of a period in opposition. The most career-minded of MPs will avoid doing so but that is a sad detraction from the need for a dynamic opposition leader. Those who put themselves forward in the troubled times of a political party deserve great respect.
juanmodesto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It won't be Ed. His only advantage is that he isn't hated in the party in the way his brother is.

But Labour won't want another cold fish like GB. Telegenic and shallow types tend to win out in these contests.
Richiboi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If i was being sincere, i would vote for the Dark Lord himself. (Mandelson to all those living in a cave ) he is a very capable operator, and knows how to get things done. Shame he is a former communist, he seems like the only man in the 3 main parties with much spine, other than Hague IMO.
But, as a Conservative myself, Harman. She may well just be a sleeper agent, working to completely sodomise any remaining integrity and dignity the Labour Party has!
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Richiboi)
If i was being sincere, i would vote for the Dark Lord himself. (Mandelson to all those living in a cave ) he is a very capable operator, and knows how to get things done. Shame he is a former communist, he seems like the only man in the 3 main parties with much spine, other than Hague IMO.
But, as a Conservative myself, Harman. She may well just be a sleeper agent, working to completely sodomise any remaining integrity and dignity the Labour Party has!
It's an interesting one. Mandelson is both the most logical choice yet the most illogical choice all wrapped up in one. He is a shady character who gets things done- an old style fixer if you will. I'm not sure if government's the place for him; maybe the Mafia are looking to recruit?
Max Hinks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Johnson perhaps???

EDIT: If i'm missing something completely then by all means point out to me? But I swear he said that if the opportunity came he would want the job, he just wouldn't oppose Brown.
Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mandelson, but he won't want it.

Not the greatest of choices there.
lazzarus
Rep:
?
I am annoyed david miliband is top of my poll. He is a nothing politician, i have nothing against him, but he is as inspiring as nick clegg (no exaggeration). He doesn't strike me as a charismatic leader who could do great things or deliver elections. My preference is as follows:

Ed Miliband
Mandy
Straw
David M
Ed Balls
Cruddas
Harmann (what a disaster)
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lazzarus)
I am annoyed david miliband is top of my poll. He is a nothing politician, i have nothing against him, but he is as inspiring as nick clegg (no exaggeration). He doesn't strike me as a charismatic leader who could do great things or deliver elections. My preference is as follows:

Ed Miliband
Mandy
Straw
David M
Ed Balls
Cruddas
Harmann (what a disaster)
I happen to think David Miliband is a pretty handy politician himself- regardless of the fact that I prefer his brother to him. David will be a key figure in the Labour cabinets (shadow or governmental) for the foreseeable future. While in his current role as Foreign Secretary, I think he has shown considerable passion and charisma, particularly when defending and explaining the government's latest actions in Afghanistan. He seems a decent bloke with good values and also the skills to promote those values. Generally, he's the man that Labour will support a few years down the line as the 'progressive' and 'refreshing' candidate, ready to draw a line under the unfavourable memories of the latter stages of office this time around.

As with regards to the actual next Labour leader, I can't see further than a contest between Alan Johnson and Jack Straw. Both are long term figures who would take on the leadership regardless of doing so at a time when the Party is struggling to maintain support from the electorate. Career-ists (is that a word?) such as David Miliband and Ed Balls will probably let the opportunity for a tilt at leadership pass on this occasion before coming into focus in a parliament or two's time.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why hasn't Alan Johnson been included?

Ed Miliband looks, to use a peculiarly Scottish word, glaikit.
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Why hasn't Alan Johnson been included?

Ed Miliband looks, to use a peculiarly Scottish word, glaikit.
Could you translate for me haha?

Incidentally, you're right. The OP should have included Alan Johnson as an option.
Salastico7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It makes sense! He is articulate and charismatic, unlike Brown, Balls, his brother, and Johnson. He is a fresh face unlike Jack Straw & mandy. He also has sensible policy inclinations unlike Harmann & Cruddas.

He is absolutely the only labour politican I can get excited about, his media handling as shown on newsnight and andrew marr show is top draw.

Again, it makes sense!
Johnson is brilliant in the media... he also would be great at the dispatch box versus Cameron. Hes sensible, down to earth and smart.
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Salastico7)
Johnson is brilliant in the media... he also would be great at the dispatch box versus Cameron. Hes sensible, down to earth and smart.
Johnson is definitely the 'safe hands' option for Labour- alongside perhaps Jack Straw. I think Johnson comes across very well on television/radio and could do a decent job as leader- whether he'd capture the minds of the British public is questionable though. Still though, a sensible if not spectacular person at the helm for a while may be exactly what Labour need to rebuild and come back as a refreshed political force.

Of course, all of what I say is based on the hypothesis that the Conservatives win the next election. Still a long time left though; enough for a Tory sleaze scandal, the economy to pick up and Gordon Brown reveal he's hung like a horse. The housewife vote would go through the roof.
lazzarus
Rep:
?
hmm
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Anyone but Darth Mandelson.

However, my ideal situation is that Labour has no leader, as it disbands and gives way to the Lib Dems.
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hmm
Pretty much the response the end of my post deserved haha. Seriously speaking though, what do you think about Straw/Johnson being the sensible if not spectacular idea?

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Anyone but Darth Mandelson.

However, my ideal situation is that Labour has no leader, as it disbands and gives way to the Lib Dems.
I don't particularly like Mandelson either but, if you were speaking objectively, would you not agree that he might be the best choice for Labour at the moment- especially in opposition? As I said before, I see him more suited to being a mafia boss but he is effectively the Goebbels of New Labour. That said, Goebbels stood in the background like Mandelson and pulled the strings- Mandelson is unlikely to ever go after the Party leadership.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dannymccs)
Pretty much the response the end of my post deserved haha. Seriously speaking though, what do you think about Straw/Johnson being the sensible if not spectacular idea?

I don't particularly like Mandelson either but, if you were speaking objectively, would you not agree that he might be the best choice for Labour at the moment- especially in opposition? As I said before, I see him more suited to being a mafia boss but he is effectively the Goebbels of New Labour. That said, Goebbels stood in the background like Mandelson and pulled the strings- Mandelson is unlikely to ever go after the Party leadership.
Objectively speaking, I don't think that Mandelson is a good choice for leader. He is genuinely disliked, not only by the majority of the general public, but by many within the party itself who feel that he embodies what is wrong with Labour, or more specifically New Labour.

He is definitely suited to being the brains behind Labour. Hell, he currently sits on something like 38 out of 47 committees in the House of Commons. That's some measure of the power he wields. However he simply isn't enough of a people's politician to be an effective leader. Ideal front-bencher, but not leader.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Harriet Harman has a liberal, progressive outlook and her policies would ultimately be beneficial for the majority of the country. Although it isn't evident on TSR, Harman generally fares well in popularity polls and out of the shortlist, would be the ideal replacement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads