Nursing Watch

discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I am really interested in becoming a nurse. I've been thinking about all my career options and choices and it is definitely one I am considering.

I am in the final year of my BA (Hons) English Literature degree and was wondering which would be the best route into Nursing for me

I have heard there are accelerated courses but I can't seem to find any of them anywhere outside London? I could be looking in the wrong places.

Nursing has been in my family for years: my mum, her mum and her mum were nurses so I'd love to give it a go!

Thanks for any help,

Beth
Katie_xox
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey. I've just finished my first year of nursing
I'm pretty sure you have to have a health related degree to do an accelarated programme?
xo-Heva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would guess you've spoken to your mum and other family members about this, right?

Do you want work experience before you start to make sure it is definately for you? If so, as around at hospital wards to see if they will take you on for a number of weeks (you'll need an enhanced disclosure check, that'll ost you £35).

After, if you're sure its right for you, there are a number of routes you can take. I'm thinking the degree route for you aposed to diploma. In Scotland the normal degree is 3 years and the honours degree is 4. I think I remember hearing you take off a year if you go to an English uni, but I could be wrong.

Unfortinately, your English degree won't count towards an excellerated programme. It needs to be a science based or health based degree.

You will need work experience for universities to consider you. As well as working in wards, you could ask to shadow a practise nurse or a community nurse. This will also help you see what type of nursing you want to consider.
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katie_xox)
Hey. I've just finished my first year of nursing
I'm pretty sure you have to have a health related degree to do an accelarated programme?
I thought so to...hmmm..

I can't work out whether I'd have to pay tuitition fees/be eligible for bursaries if I was to apply for the degree programme.

I know very little and can't seem to find much out!
Katie_xox
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by discombobulation)
I thought so to...hmmm..

I can't work out whether I'd have to pay tuitition fees/be eligible for bursaries if I was to apply for the degree programme.

I know very little and can't seem to find much out!
Nope, you don't have to pay tuition fees! The NHS pay for them. I'm in Cardiff uni and get a bursary of £550 per month which is pretty good!
Not sure about bursaries in England though...
Which uni are you thinking of going to? They'll probably have info about their bursaries on their site
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by xo-Heva)
I would guess you've spoken to your mum and other family members about this, right?

You will need work experience for universities to consider you. As well as working in wards, you could ask to shadow a practise nurse or a community nurse. This will also help you see what type of nursing you want to consider.
I have volunteered in a nursing home and also volunteering in a secretarial capacity at my local general infirmary

Obviously this isn't direct work experience but is a step toward it perhaps.

The degree route is a definite possibility but I'm a bit confused as to how I would finance it...I have no means for paying tuition fees and I assume the full time courses are quite intense so working part-time would be difficult?
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katie_xox)
Nope, you don't have to pay tuition fees! The NHS pay for them. I'm in Cardiff uni and get a bursary of £550 per month which is pretty good!
Not sure about bursaries in England though...
Which uni are you thinking of going to? They'll probably have info about their bursaries on their site
Ideally I need to stay in the area so possibly Salford/UCLAN/LJMU or Hope.

I'll have a look at your sites, thanks for all your help
xo-Heva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have volunteered in a nursing home and also volunteering in a secretarial capacity at my local general infirmary

Obviously this isn't direct work experience but is a step toward it perhaps.

The degree route is a definite possibility but I'm a bit confused as to how I would finance it...I have no means for paying tuition fees and I assume the full time courses are quite intense so working part-time would be difficult?
Actually, nursing home work would count towards work experience - especially if you'd be intrested in working with the elderly.

With any nursing course you will go on placement quite a bit. This could make having a part time job quite akward considering time clashes, but by no means impossible.
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by xo-Heva)
Actually, nursing home work would count towards work experience - especially if you'd be intrested in working with the elderly.

With any nursing course you will go on placement quite a bit. This could make having a part time job quite akward considering time clashes, but by no means impossible.
Ooh that's good to hear!

I actually have next to no understanding of the finance situation.
Would I be eligible for everything despite it being my second degree??

I'm thinking of private tutoring in my first degree subject, say 5 hours a week for extra cash.

I'm getting more and more enthusiastic about this
Cup of Inspiration
Report 9 years ago
Ooh that's good to hear!

I actually have next to no understanding of the finance situation.
Would I be eligible for everything despite it being my second degree??

I'm thinking of private tutoring in my first degree subject, say 5 hours a week for extra cash.

I'm getting more and more enthusiastic about this

It is easy to get a part time job, bank nursing or HCA work is always avaliable, and its good to get a bank shift as its flexible- so much easier to fit around studies

Definately get some work experience, and start thinking about your personal statement, and references
discombobulation
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cup of Inspiration)
It is easy to get a part time job, bank nursing or HCA work is always avaliable, and its good to get a bank shift as its flexible- so much easier to fit around studies

definitely get some work experience, and start thinking about your personal statement, and references
Thanks for your help, I've e-mailed a few volunteering opportunities and also the local teaching hospitals.

I'm hoping to apply in January as by then, if my maths is correct, I'll have built up enough voluntary hours to get a reference from my employers in a nursing home environment. This would be better than from a university tutor who knows nothing about me right?
Cup of Inspiration
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for your help, I've e-mailed a few volunteering opportunities and also the local teaching hospitals.

I'm hoping to apply in January as by then, if my maths is correct, I'll have built up enough voluntary hours to get a reference from my employers in a nursing home environment. This would be better than from a university tutor who knows nothing about me right?
Ok, but remember there is a deadline, and give yourself plenty of time as it doesn't look good to hand in an application late- and you may not get into a good university, the reference from your tutor will be good enough tbh, I used my reference from a-level which had nothing about nursing on there!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Ok, but remember there is a deadline, and give yourself plenty of time as it doesn't look good to hand in an application late- and you may not get into a good university, the reference from your tutor will be good enough tbh, I used my reference from a-level which had nothing about nursing on there!
I guess that's definitely true - my problem is we're moving house in February and don't knwo where we're going yet so I don't want to apply for places I won't be able to get to.

I have pretty good A level results (AAAAB) and will have my degree by the time I begin so hopefully this will help and well as experience and enthusiasm!

WHere do you study?
Cup of Inspiration
Report 9 years ago
I guess that's definitely true - my problem is we're moving house in February and don't knwo where we're going yet so I don't want to apply for places I won't be able to get to.

I have pretty good A level results (AAAAB) and will have my degree by the time I begin so hopefully this will help and well as experience and enthusiasm!

WHere do you study?

Nottingham University, very good uni
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Nottingham University, very good uni
Indeed! Congrats - I wonder where I'll end up haha!
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Also guys, how intensive is the timetable? How many contact hours a week? How many placement hours etc?

Thanks again
Cup of Inspiration
Report 9 years ago
Also guys, how intensive is the timetable? How many contact hours a week? How many placement hours etc?

Thanks again

for me, when in study we have contact time of 37.5hours a week, and in placement its the same, 3 months of theory, 3 months placement, 3 months theory, 3 months placement- way its been here
discombobulation
Rep:
?
for me, when in study we have contact time of 37.5hours a week, and in placement its the same, 3 months of theory, 3 months placement, 3 months theory, 3 months placement- way its been here
Awesome, so I'd be able to fit in private tutoring part time 10-12 hours week ?

cool
Cup of Inspiration
Report 9 years ago
Awesome, so I'd be able to fit in private tutoring part time 10-12 hours week ?

cool

well I fit in 12-24hours of part time work so yeah, BUT remember there is non-contact time, a lot of nursing is spent doing outside reading and portfolio work
discombobulation
Rep:
?
well I fit in 12-24hours of part time work so yeah, BUT remember there is non-contact time, a lot of nursing is spent doing outside reading and portfolio work
true true, I understand the non-contact time stuff, first degree and all that! definitely going to apply, decided! haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads