Hip Hop/Rap music I don't get it? Watch

Sunflower28
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm a bit of an old fart anyway but can someone please explain why people actually buy this ****, all they seem to do is rehash old melodies and then rap or sing crap lyrics over the top. I can understand the 80's scene better, and I actually like some of that stuff, but some of this so called music I've been hearing recently, how on earth are they getting away with it! Really! I'm serious! It's naive young fools like yourselves buying into this ****! Wake up!
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So, out of interest, what kind of music do you enjoy? Perhaps you can enlighten us "naive young fools" with a musical education.
neomilan
Report 9 years ago
if you don't like it, don't listen to it/buy it
no one is forcing you
kiranxxx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by neomilan)
if you don't like it, don't listen to it/buy it
no one is forcing you

THIS!
raider720
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if it sounds good i will listen to it ( no matter what the music genre is) as a fan of hip hop music i don't really care what they are raping/singing about as long as it sounds good i have no problem i don't consider myself to be naive just because i like listening to hip hop. i believe that music is something which you are supposed to enjoy not analyse.

p.s. what is exactly wrong with rap/hip hop
Hartemop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Paolo Nutini :yep:
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so living in the past where the song are all one hit wonders have more cheese then anything, and the reuse of the same sound, wow 80's music sounds just like your view on rap and hip hop, you know what if you don't like it, don't listen to it, waking up to music is rich to say when your listening to old 80's stuff, it all genre of music you have that rubbish that you have to filter out to get to the good stuff, as a genre becomes more mainstream the more rubbish you have to go through to get to the good stuff
Serious44789
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by robinson999)
so living in the past where the song are all one hit wonders have more cheese then anything, and the reuse of the same sound, wow 80's music sounds just like your view on rap and hip hop, you know what if you don't like it, don't listen to it, waking up to music is rich to say when your listening to old 80's stuff, it all genre of music you have that rubbish that you have to filter out to get to the good stuff, as a genre becomes more mainstream the more rubbish you have to go through to get to the good stuff
Do you actually believe this? I really hope not. Reading your post makes me think that you only class a song to be decent if it is commercially successful, there are of course going to be bands (through a decade of releases) that produce only a song or two that get them famous, but that doesn't mean their other songs are bad in any way.

My opinion, which is an opinion, is that music from the 60's, 70's and 80's was when the very best music was made. I just can't stand almost all the new bands and artists around these days. I am just so thankful that some of the bands from those days still tour and I can witness them before they finally retire.
kemistry09
Report 9 years ago
"naive young fools"
That's a bit harsh don't you think? If you don't like it then keep it to yourself rather than bad-mouthing it and the people that like it.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Duncan70)
Do you actually believe this? I really hope not. Reading your post makes me think that you only class a song to be decent if it is commercially successful, there are of course going to be bands (through a decade of releases) that produce only a song or two that get them famous, but that doesn't mean their other songs are bad in any way.

My opinion, which is an opinion, is that music from the 60's, 70's and 80's was when the very best music was made. I just can't stand almost all the new bands and artists around these days. I am just so thankful that some of the bands from those days still tour and I can witness them before they finally retire.
I think you misunderstood him. He is saying that you cant disregard a genre of music just because it has become mainstream - we all know that rap/hip-hop started out very underground. In the early days it was just as obscure as... I don't know. Any obscure genre of music today. However, it got popular, just as obscure genres tend to do, and once it became mainstream, you get a whole load of untalented freaks jumping on the hype and abusing the genre.

Good music is being made today, good music never stops being made, you just have to sift through a lot of crap to find it sometimes.

EDIT: and in twenty years, kids will probably be saying the same thing "I think music made in the 90's and noughties was the best". It's a part of being young, human nature almost, to want go against the grain.
*TheSweetestDrug*
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so we're all 'naive young fools' for not liking the same music as you..
great logic OP..nobody's forcing you to listen to it so get over it...!
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Duncan70)

no, i was trying to make a point that is to the opposite to that, for a song to be good it dose not have to be commercially successful, more making the point when a genre end up mainstream there are still some very good songs within it, you just have to go through a lot of rubbish to find it, because you get a ton of people who think they can money fast in a genre because everyone loves it, you just have to filter all that out, i dislike all this lets become mainstream, muse new album has lost all its root to why the band was so epic in the first place, but yet fan boys jump on and love it, at the muse where great

to be fair saying that the 60's 70's and 80's where when the best music is a bit closed minded on music, yes you had some very good bands, like of pink Floyd, radiohead just starting, there are still some good band and artists that are new now, just we have a big indie movement that ends up forming 50 bands that all sound the same, and look the same, yet try to say they are different, its harder to find some good stuff, but if you sit down and filter all through the rubbish then your get to the gold
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hartemop)
Paolo Nutini :yep:
lol, I'm a fan, but what's Paolo Nutini got to do with this? :p:
Hartemop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
lol, I'm a fan, but what's Paolo Nutini got to do with this? :p:
His kind of music is good :yep:
spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What an obnoxious ****.
tldr22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP sounds like he only hears hip hop from the radio, which tends to be the crap stuff.

Also, OP is a wánker
GazzyG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd agree that SOME modern hip hop is pretty brainless, talentless stuff.

But not all of it; there are some gems still if you root through enough of the crap.

I am, however, partial to a bit of 80s hip hop. Furious Five, Sugarhill Gang etc.
skorza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GazzyG)
I'd agree that SOME modern hip hop is pretty brainless, talentless stuff.

But not all of it; there are some gems still if you root through enough of the crap.

I am, however, partial to a bit of 80s hip hop. Furious Five, Sugarhill Gang etc.
lol they're brainless and talentless, but i agree with most of what you said.
Sunflower28
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
So, out of interest, what kind of music do you enjoy? Perhaps you can enlighten us "naive young fools" with a musical education.
''If you know your history,
Then you would know where you coming from,
Then you wouldnt have to ask me,
Who the eck do I think I am''.

Well, lets just say without a big help! from James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, George Clinton, Nile Rodgers etc, a lot of these Hip Hop/Rap artists wouldn't know what to imput into their computer...and for me personally, In the main I prefer the originals. Most of you on here, not all of you! Wouldn't even know who these artists were, apart from James Brown maybe (rush to wikipedia to look them up!).
Sincerity?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sunflower28)
*insert rant here*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVz7p0BZzx4

Yes, modern music is boring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed