Dazed and Confused, Pharmacy or Paramedics at Herts? Watch

The Alchemiste
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Before someone comes to put this thread in the right forum or subforum I just want to hear from people doing Paramedic sciences at Hertfordshire. I'm at a crossroads it seems.

This will be a long post so please bear with me on this, I just wanted your thoughts before I do anything for real.

I've applied for Pharmacy at Hertfordshire and got in through Clearing. Got the grades and I'm staring at the UCAS and Hertfordshire Uni letters on my bed.
I never actually wanted to get into Pharmacy at first, I wanted to go into Paramedics due to my love (read: Obsession) of emergency medicine (and medicine in general), i've been surrounded by doctors and paramedics all my life really so I wanted to get in. One small note took my eye, it said that I needed a driver's license. It was one of the entry requirements, suffice to say I took the cautious way out and chose pharmacy due to pressure from others ("Oh you'll have a good job, pharmacy is better... etc)

I don't particularly want to go into pharmacy but I feel I have no choice because I do not have a driving license.

What this long diatribe no doubt is working to is a bit of insight, from those of you in Paramedic Sciences.

Is it possible to move, even before i've stepped into the university, to paramedic sciences? Are there any people who do not have driver's licenses and got into paramedics.

I plan on driving and if possible I would learn as i'm doing the course. I'd do whatever it takes to get in really, but only if I do get into the course.

Believe me, I rue not learning before. Unforseen circumstances have a way of popping up and making a mess of things it seems.

Is there anybody out there? Anyone who can help? I'd rather go into a course somewhat content than waste my 4 years in misery doing something I have absolutely no intention of doing in the first place.
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Alchemiste)
Is it possible to move, even before i've stepped into the university, to paramedic sciences?

As this is the only area i can advise on i've gotten rid of the rest from the quote.

As far as i'm aware once you've accepted your offer you have to start that course, however as long as you're in the same faculty you can swap almost immediately. There should be a contact address/number on your letter it might be worth ringing them and asking whether you can swap due to the courses both being within the Social and Healthcare Faculty.(at least i think its called that these days)

As for the drivers license the only people i know on the course already had licenses before they started so it might be a requirement that you're unable to avoid, but again ring up and check.
Wca
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
there 2 courses you can apply: the foundation degree in which you will need a Drivers licence with C1 (7.5 tonnes) entitlement and the BSc a sandwich degree where you will need a Drivers Licence with provisional c1.
BUSHRAQAYUM
Report 9 years ago
Hey what have you decided? I think you should opt in doing something that you will be comfortable with and happy. You need to contact the university as soon as possible and let them know that you are contemplating changing courses. I myself am studying pharmacy but I want to do pharmacy in Hertfordshire,but have been put on a waiting list. I hope I get in, and I hope you get into what you want to do! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!
The Alchemiste
Rep:
?
I've tried emailing, i've tried the phone and pretty much everything else and still no replies. If it is possible to get in and learn to drive and get my license along with the course i'd be the happiest person on earth. If there is but one person who got in by talking to the uni about a compromise of sorts or something like that about the driving license then i'd go for it.

If it is possible i'd just like to hear it from them, or even the university and give up my place to someone more deserving (like you bushra). I guess i'm having High Hopes, something I rarely do. But if someone can shed some light i'd be forever greatful.

Bushra I hope you get in too, Herts sounds like a wonderful uni. I'm sure you'll like it here when they give you a place. Just wait a while for guys like me to drop out and you'll get in no problems.
BUSHRAQAYUM
Report 9 years ago
Hey thanks . Dont worry about it. Have you tried the admission office in hertfordshire? I can give you some contacts if you like , cos Ive been trying to contact them like mad over the last couple of days, hoping to get in on a waiting list. I know theres very little hope, but can you shed some light on whether there is a probability of people dropping out or changing courses? Ill send you an email with the contacts now if you like? I hreally hope you get into what you want to do. You are in my prayers.
The Alchemiste
Rep:
?
I'd like it very much if you did. It's not uncommon for people to drop out after a while, normally they do the course for a while then switch courses or just plain drop out. I'm probably the only person who wants to drop out even before i'm in the university which is strange if you think about it.

I'll try and contact the admissions office one last time, never hurts to try again right?

Thanks to all those who've given their input.
BUSHRAQAYUM
Report 9 years ago
Give me some hard facts about your new course and Ill see if it is available somehow and well tackle the admission people together if you like and read the email I sent you!
BUSHRAQAYUM
Report 9 years ago
I dont think its strange at all. You need to be happy about what you want to do, rather being in a degree you know you will live to regret if its not to your personal choice.
MrksmanMike
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, i applied for paramedic sciences when i first went to herts, the application process it tough, i got offered a place. Unfortunatly the DSA cancelled my driving test due to an examiner shortage, the uni were unable to allow me to take up my place. Its an absolute nessecaty as once you start the course a couple of weeks in you begin learning your C1 and then onto the advanced ambulance training. Its tough especially for inexperienced drivers as even those who have been driving for a few years failed there advanced driving tests and you only get around 2 attempts to do it. If you fail you have to retake the year or be withdrawn from the course. Its a major part of the programme and there is know way out of it, so i know your pain on this issue!:cool:
MrksmanMike
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
God my spelling and grammer is bad... cba to edit so apologies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All subjects Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    All Subjects Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads