Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzie1)
    oh God, all of you with your 100%s make me feel sick. My English UMS's are good, but the rest leave something to be desired, and I'm so so not going to get an A in bloody History. I'm dying to go to Oxford, everytime I think about it I get more and more excited. Argh, it's got to the stage that if I think about results day at night I can't sleep, even though I did well last year and didn't work as hard as now, or know it so well. Damn, should have just applied to Hertfordshire
    Are you doing Edexcel History Hazzie? - I'm doing Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany and Representation and Democray 1830-1931 - according to my teachers who went to the latest examiner's session as long as we use sources well when asked too (integrating the sources and our own knowledge apparantly), and develop our answers sufficiently using normal essay writing skills - the high marks arnt all that hard to get (thank god, I have a hopeless head for fact). Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine.

We're all going through the same thing - and hopefully will all get through without a hitch - I expect this year's 1st years were feeling similarly nervous this time last year!? :confused:

Tip; Try not to fall over playing tennis, hurt your back, rip a load of skin off your elbow and catch a cold all at the same time - thats what I did yesterday and have been in bed all day!

ReputationRep:
    I did the 1830-1931 paper! Reform Acts and all that? Fabby. Just know the consequences/implications/effects/causes of the Acts and a few figures! *thinks hard* "rotten boroughs!" (bear in mind I did my exams 2 years ago now!)

ReputationRep:
    Lol Clodagh - Rotten Boroughs is indeed one thing to think about - actually i was all prepped up on rotten boroughs for my ox interview (Sarum and Dunwich the worst examples - God my brain holds on to worthless carp).......and they asked me about Fascist Italy.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    Are you doing Edexcel History Hazzie? - I'm doing Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany and Representation and Democray 1830-1931 - according to my teachers who went to the latest examiner's session as long as we use sources well when asked too (integrating the sources and our own knowledge apparantly), and develop our answers sufficiently using normal essay writing skills - the high marks arnt all that hard to get (thank god, I have a hopeless head for fact). Anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine.

We're all going through the same thing - and hopefully will all get through without a hitch - I expect this year's 1st years were feeling similarly nervous this time last year!? :confused:

Tip; Try not to fall over playing tennis, hurt your back, rip a load of skin off your elbow and catch a cold all at the same time - thats what I did yesterday and have been in bed all day!
    Yeah I'm doing Edexcel - a week tomorrow - argh! I'm doing Nazi Germany - who isn't? And Rep&Dem as well. Hmm, interesting about the sources, I think I can do that, it's just a question of what sources come up really. I have a week of practice papers planned! The solidarity is a comfort, especailly in History! It's funny, Old Saurum and Dunwich stick in my mind too, the examiners must get so bored with reading the same answer over and over again.

Eeek, it sounds horrible what you did, I hope you feel better soon!

ReputationRep:
    Clodagh - I feel lost with the Representations and Democracy unit :-S A few of the facts stick veeery well though, because they're linked to where I live (very convienient!).

whauden - I'm doing Edexcel and exactly the same papers as you!

For Rep and Democ, I've been learning about the major reform acts + redistribution, secret ballot etc., but for areas like redistribution, do we need to know many statistics about how many seats were removed/introduced? I keep getting confused between boroughs and counties...

Praying for something on domestic policy for Mussolini. Maybe this means I should get back to revising foreign policy.

Stalin is (I say this tentatively in case it comes back to haunt me) my favourite of the three. This unit has been my favourite of all History units.

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to know a few important stats but revise most importantly the links between the reform acts! causes and effects and impacts being the three operative words, and consider if they really "reformed"...I remember a q "was the Great Reform Act of 1832 " "Great"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clodagh)
    I think you just need to know a few important stats but revise most importantly the links between the reform acts! causes and effects and impacts being the three operative words, and consider if they really "reformed"...I remember a q "was the Great Reform Act of 1832 " "Great"?
    Thank you! I've got my History book out at the moment, so I'm going to have another revise with fresh eyes I'm hoping it won't be a question on political parties...I guess if it was, you'd just work through it, but it just seems like a nightmare. The fact that there's only one option is a bit daunting!

ReputationRep:
    Was there? *memory fails* that is always a bit *gulp* don't worry, oxford papers are the opposite, some papers have up to 30 questions to pick! but you get the odd compulsory commentary! political parties....i think you just go through what the Tories did to help the Act and Whigs and stuff and how they contributed....the impact of the reform act on political parties is the way to go!

ReputationRep:
    Was there? *memory fails* that is always a bit *gulp* don't worry, oxford papers are the opposite, some papers have up to 30 questions to pick! but you get the odd compulsory commentary! political parties....i think you just go through what the Tories did to help the Act and Whigs and stuff and how they contributed....the impact of the reform act on political parties is the way to go!
    Ahh! Okay, that makes sense! Really does feel like this course turns in to politics..! Just had a look at last year's paper and I'll work through it tomorrow. I'm going to go back to school

Have you had your English exam? Good luck for it, or I hope it went well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fiona87)
    Clodagh - I feel lost with the Representations and Democracy unit :-S A few of the facts stick veeery well though, because they're linked to where I live (very convienient!).

whauden - I'm doing Edexcel and exactly the same papers as you!

For Rep and Democ, I've been learning about the major reform acts + redistribution, secret ballot etc., but for areas like redistribution, do we need to know many statistics about how many seats were removed/introduced? I keep getting confused between boroughs and counties...

Praying for something on domestic policy for Mussolini. Maybe this means I should get back to revising foreign policy.

Stalin is (I say this tentatively in case it comes back to haunt me) my favourite of the three. This unit has been my favourite of all History units.
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll outline it anyway just in case:

The first question will be something like; Was a certain reform act/historical event a turning point in the development of democracy/political parties/empowerment of a particlar social group.

The second questiong will involve using the 3 sources (one of which will usually heartily agree with the assertion of the question), and looking at how one 'given factor' affected or was affected over the 100 years, compared to the other factors in the sources and from own knowledge.

With the Italian paper - I'm pretty sure we can be asked on four areas; Economic Policy, Other Domestic/Social Policy, Relations with the Church and Foreign Policy - TBH, I find Foreign Policy the most complex too - mainly because of the disagreement of historians - I favour Cassells to de Felice - and Morgan pretty much concurs with Cassells. I'm hoping for Church or Domestic/Social Policy question.......

We do Nazi Germany rather than Stalin - this is my synoptic - I've been revising historical debate such as strong/weak dictator, intentionalist/fuctionalist, German consent/resistance/resistenz - as well as details about Himmler, Goebbels and Goering....

Gah - I'm tired of revision - off to watch Crimson Tide.... :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh! Okay, that makes sense! Really does feel like this course turns in to politics..! Just had a look at last year's paper and I'll work through it tomorrow. I'm going to go back to school

Have you had your English exam? Good luck for it, or I hope it went well
    Ha, yeah I did Politics as well as History, was just Tories/Liberals 100 years later! My exams are on Tuesday-Sat *mibble* four 3 hour beasties! *imparts as much knowledge as possible* I did however, read Disraeli's 'Sybil' for the Victorians....more interesting than the Reform Act except at one point I couldn't remember if Whigs were Liberal or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whauden)
    I'm sure you know this, but I'll outline it anyway just in case:

The first question will be something like; Was a certain reform act/historical event a turning point in the development of democracy/political parties/empowerment of a particlar social group.

The second questiong will involve using the 3 sources (one of which will usually heartily agree with the assertion of the question), and looking at how one 'given factor' affected or was affected over the 100 years, compared to the other factors in the sources and from own knowledge.

With the Italian paper - I'm pretty sure we can be asked on four areas; Economic Policy, Other Domestic/Social Policy, Relations with the Church and Foreign Policy - TBH, I find Foreign Policy the most complex too - mainly because of the disagreement of historians - I favour Cassells to de Felice - and Morgan pretty much concurs with Cassells. I'm hoping for Church or Domestic/Social Policy question.......

We do Nazi Germany rather than Stalin - this is my synoptic - I've been revising historical debate such as strong/weak dictator, intentionalist/fuctionalist, German consent/resistance/resistenz - as well as details about Himmler, Goebbels and Goering....

Gah - I'm tired of revision - off to watch Crimson Tide.... :tsr:
    Thank you! That's really useful. I think the second question is the one I am in most need to brush up on - after this post, I'll pop off to do that :-)

Thanks for the section outline for Italy - last year's paper looked quite nice for this unit. One on the establishment of the dictatorship and one on domestic policy. At least if it ends up as something we don't like, there's another option.

Hope you enjoyed Crimson Tide Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Ha, yeah I did Politics as well as History, was just Tories/Liberals 100 years later! My exams are on Tuesday-Sat *mibble* four 3 hour beasties! *imparts as much knowledge as possible* I did however, read Disraeli's 'Sybil' for the Victorians....more interesting than the Reform Act except at one point I couldn't remember if Whigs were Liberal or not!
    :eek:Ughh...so many exams! I really hope they go well! Do you stay at college after them or are you free for the summer?

Ooh! Politicians and literature Gladstone and Disraeli have completely different names but I get them mixed up :confused:. The Representation and Democracy unit links in really well with Blake and the abolition of slavery, factory acts etc. too I like Blake.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:Ughh...so many exams! I really hope they go well! Do you stay at college after them or are you free for the summer?

Ooh! Politicians and literature Gladstone and Disraeli have completely different names but I get them mixed up :confused:. The Representation and Democracy unit links in really well with Blake and the abolition of slavery, factory acts etc. too I like Blake.
    disraeli is cool:cool: - read some stuff on him, and watched some doc on himand victoria too

ReputationRep:

It's not hard to mix them up - Gladstone started off as a High Tory and eventually moved to the Liberals, splitting his party over Ireland. Disraeli started off as a radical, became a Tory to prevent bankruptcy and get into the Commons, and eventually 'united' his party around Reform - gah, confusing...If you remember that Gladstone used to save Prostitutes it becomes a bit easier to remember - Disraeli - or indeed any Tory wasnt the sort to do that.....

ReputationRep:

Blake just made life really, really, really depressing (or that might just have been cos we did 'London' for a week) The songs of Innocence are ok! not impressed with "the clod and the pebble" ...makes me sound like a lump of mud..a "clod" ha.. I go home as soon as my last exam is over! it's saturday and I have to go back and pack after it...bleggghhh! we are technically "free" for the summer but we have 7 finals papers over the next 2 years (almost double the Mods papers!! 7x3==21 hours!! :eek: ) so some heavy duty reading for the start of a few in October! but I have to run around returning books on Sat as well, the English library is having a special long opening so we can all go and return them after exams...i don't fancy a 10p a day fine on 8 books for 3 months!!!

ReputationRep:
    its finally come..exam in 1 hours time, pub in 8!

ReputationRep:
    looks liek i wont be seeing anyone in oxford this october - i failed A2 geography miserably - bet Riche is ecstatic :rolleyes:

pk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    looks liek i wont be seeing anyone in oxford this october - i failed A2 geography miserably - bet Riche is ecstatic :rolleyes:

pk
    like that attitude is gonna help. just get stuck in with the rest of your stuff and then you can at least be happy in what you've done instead of being mardy.

ReputationRep:
    As of yesterday, I finished A-levels Maths, German...and nearly Economics (need a 10/120 or summat). So...

Unfortunately, the last subject (FM) both scares me and annoys the crap out of me so have been fully concentrating on that. Snarl...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.