Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well - you see...when you've been covered with flour, eggs, water and what may or may not be offel...you need a shower - so since the shower wasn't free - i thought i would inform you all of my happy predicament!
    ta ta for now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    Yet you come on TSR?
    that what drunk oxford people do:rolleyes: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I had my first exam today - well, two actually. Units 4 and 5 of General Studies - found it OK - French wasnt too bad, maths and science pretty logical - Intensive farming essay was *yawn* but other essay was 'Geography Makes History' etc - Discuss - which was a really nice, and good preparation for AEA, Monday week.

Next exam is History on Monday - must start revising Gothic for English synoptic - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Yet you come on TSR?
    I did when I was drunk yesterday (oops, it's now 00:07, so I actually mean tuesday)...seems sensible at the time when your left alone in your room to sober up (and be sick!) before punting... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hows the revision going?
    Pretty bad really, didnt even open a book today until 5:30, just end up lazing around. Was similar over Easter and the start of study leave. I have done some, just not compared to most people.

Do you feel confident?
    Maths and Economics, yes, there's no way I can't get As in both. Really I shouldn't have spent a minute revising on either and concentrated fully on history. But of course I wanted to go for 600/600 in Economics.

History I didn't get a brilliant UMS last year, and have felt pretty uncomfortable with one paper all year - German Nationalism 1815-1919 synoptic unit. My other paper Gladstone & Disraeli shouldn't be a problem, really enjoyed it and been getting high As all year. The other worry with history is coursework - although I was happy with it and my teacher thinks it will be a good A it has been known for supposedly good pieces of coursework to be given Cs or Ds! Annoyingly its out of my control at the moment and I just don't know how I've done.
    Further Maths AS level I've still got 2 modules left, one of which (S4) is pretty tricky, but I should only need 60-odd in it for an A overall.

Do you still want to go to Oxford?
    Not as much as I did after interviews. I'm back to thinking, 'Do I really want to spend 3 years having to work damn hard? I've always been lazy, how will I cope?'
    Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I got a B and went to Warwick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    that what drunk oxford people do:rolleyes: :eek:
    No phil...we go out and drink all night...just got back froma club now (sharkers) and about to try and find some more booze...but doing maths you'd still be working right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairieboi)
    I'd say you're far from alone...
    I'm worrying excessively about exams and how much revision i'm doing and i've known all the stuff on the syllabus since easter and i can get low Bs/high Cs in all my subjects to get As overall... nevertheless i panic. a lot.
    last year i did hardly any properly organised revision, and did fine... i don't know why i can't accept that everything will be okay this year...

20 days of revision in a row sounds like a lot though... i'm only on 11 or something since study leave started...

i can't wait for oxford either (grades permitting, of course) - i'm so very very sick of working on this stuff and doing past questions that i've been doing all year...
    By no means to detract from either the intellectual standard or assiduity of people such as fairieboi, I wish, however, to invite consideration of how and why a qualification upon which 'B' or 'C' is enough for an 'A' overall may be considerd an apt benchmark for comparision of Oxbridge entrants -- I remember slogging every minute of my two years of the Intl Baccalaureate for the coveted 7s of my 6 subjects, with not a single iota of manoeuvaribility space inasmuch as my performance on any module went...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    No phil...we go out and drink all night...just got back froma club now (sharkers) and about to try and find some more booze...but doing maths you'd still be working right now!
    Interesting you say that...the mathmos at Lincoln certainly don't work very hard and are at pubs/bars most nights! They get their work done quickly and then go out and have fun! Not sure whether they're an exception to the rule though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Gioconda)
    By no means to detract from either the intellectual standard or assiduity of people such as fairieboi, I wish, however, to invite consideration of how and why a qualification upon which 'B' or 'C' is enough for an 'A' overall may be considerd an apt benchmark for comparision of Oxbridge entrants -- I remember slogging every minute of my two years of the Intl Baccalaureate for the coveted 7s of my 6 subjects, with not a single iota of manoeuvaribility space inasmuch as my performance on any module went...
    You'll just have to wait for a study that shows any corellation between IB over A Level and final degree class, sorry

ReputationRep:
    One exam of the day down ......one to go !

This mornings physics one went quite well, so hopefully i'm having a good day and m3 will be fine too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Gioconda)
    The old A level system meant all your assessment was done at the end of two years, and you needed an overall A to get an A grade - you could drop to Bs in some papers if other papers are high enough As.
    The new AS-A2 system means you take half the A level at the end of the first year and get a mark out of 300. You then take the second half at the end of the second year and get another mark out of 300. 80% (480/600) is needed for an A, if you get 300/300 in the first year then you only need 180/300 in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    The new AS-A2 system means you take half the A level at the end of the first year and get a mark out of 300. You then take the second half
    To be honest, it's more like you take a quarter of the paper at AS and maybe a half at A2. The extra exams significantly decrease the amount of teaching time. Given that most people take the first module early, the questions for that have to be very restricted in their scope. then the exam boards fudge the results so that there's an ever-increasing proportion of As.

In the old days, nobody got 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    To be honest, it's more like you take a quarter of the paper at AS and maybe a half at A2. The extra exams significantly decrease the amount of teaching time. Given that most people take the first module early, the questions for that have to be very restricted in their scope. then the exam boards fudge the results so that there's an ever-increasing proportion of As.

In the old days, nobody got 100%.
    I'm sure most of this is true, but it's also true that almost all of the A2 Papers are harder than the old A-levels ever were; admittedly, they have to be, as they are boosted up by marks that are easier to get (but worth just as much) at AS. So the Maths A-level for A2 in 2005 (before they changed to Core Maths modules) is the most difficult it's ever been. OK, this isn't true for subjects like Latin or Greek, which are continually making its word lists and levels of literature easier to entice people in (our latin teacher enjoys telling us about when he not only had to translate into Latin, but in the style of Cicero/Tacitus... scary stuff).

Also, it's worth remembering that university offers are going up with the new system. Who needed AAA or AAB to get into medicine 20 years ago? (aside from Oxbridge people, and I'm sure they were often given much lower offers, if interviewers liked them) My dad got into St Georges for Medicine (KCL) with a pass-level offer (and he got DEE and went there!). Can't see that happening nowadays...

Just thought I'd present the other side of the argument...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yttrium)
    almost all of the A2 Papers are harder than the old A-levels ever were;
    I think that depends how far back you go. While moving some boxes, I found a Biology O-level revision guide. It was comparable to the modern A-level syllabus. I also found one of my old A-level papers a few years back and I couldn't answer any of the questions. By contrast, I could answer most of the current Chemistry AS/A2 questions without having to think too hard.
    Also, it's worth remembering that university offers are going up with the new system. Who needed AAA or AAB to get into medicine 20 years ago?
    Thats' true. 30 years ago I was offered 3Cs by UCL and BCC by St Mary's. However, the principle was that they selected by interview and gave easy offers if they liked you. In those days, 3As was very uncommon. Maybe one or two pupils per (grammar) school might get those grades. However, I vaguely remember that the average at medical school then was ABC.
    he got DEE and went there!).
    Christs still gives EE offers, but they have to like you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the omens arnt looking good for me - on top of my hayfever it now looks like I'm going down with the flu - or at least a bad cold.....Back to bed for me.

Missing a paper through illness = automatic fail doesnt it? :-(

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's an X. The coolest grade.

ReputationRep:
    Call your school. They can note the situation with the exam board. Ideally, make sure that your doctor certifies that you were ill. You can claim 'special consideration'. However, if you can manage it without dying, drag your carcase into school and sit the exam. You won't get a worse mark than by not appearing at all. Who knows, you may even find that you can scrape enough marks to get a grade that you can argue about later. However, do notify the exams officer either way.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen maths papers from the last 30 years, and A Levels have increasingly become easier. Some of the maths in older papers isn't taught until undergraduate level. The same goes for physics. And English papers in my opinion are harder too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Call your school. They can note the situation with the exam board. Ideally, make sure that your doctor certifies that you were ill. You can claim 'special consideration'. However, if you can manage it without dying, drag your carcase into school and sit the exam. You won't get a worse mark than by not appearing at all. Who knows, you may even find that you can scrape enough marks to get a grade that you can argue about later. However, do notify the exams officer either way.
    I'm hoping it wont get to that stage - but thanks for the advice on exam procedure. Next exam Monday and am now sure its only a cold - flu-like symptoms went with a couple of hours sleep.

Still - it was a wasted day of revision, which I hate - just about managed to read half of 'In Defence of History' again - the only revision im doing for the AEA which is the only exam I'm looking forward too! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen maths papers from the last 30 years, and A Levels have increasingly become easier. Some of the maths in older papers isn't taught until undergraduate level. The same goes for physics. And English papers in my opinion are harder too.
    Could you type up one of the old-style English questions? I googled it, but can't find any, but am interested to see the difference!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.